Protest leader Suthep rejects involvement in civil war

webfact

A case of creeping delusion on Suthep's part. If he wasn't such a thug with blood on his hands you'd almost feel sorry for him.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

actually he is showing a lot of sense, the protesters are trying to end the corruption and do not want to take the country into anarchy but the reds on the other hand are threatening war if they do not get what they want, this is the difference between the two groups. One wants a better Thailand for everyone while the other wants the country to do as they say when they say it and have the "reds" tell everyone what they can and cant do.

They aren't trying to stop corruption. They are trying to stop the shinwatras corruption.

It's like health insurance. Pre existing corruption isnt covered.

It would still be an improvement though.

ALL sides of the discussion have their corruption and their conflicts of interest.

I am tired of watching actual people convicted of corruption moaning that they want to save Thaiiland from Thaksins corruption and replace it with theirs. Tha is hardly an improvement.

Oh in my day, the take was only 25%, these Shinawatras are just evil, taking 30%. BS arguement. I don't trust Suthep to or his cronies to solve corruption because they have overseen and accepted so many corrupt things under their watch. They have no idea what corruption is. What they understand to be normal practice, is corrupt beyond. Or how else does a humble politician accumuilate quite such gargantuan wealth? They are all slimy nasty horrible people.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it's Suthep's fault the reds want to secede and form their own republic. It's Suthep's fault the reds want to raise a 600,000 strong army. It's so typical of red apologists to blame everyone for something when they're the ones pulling the crap.

Yes it is Suthep fault, the Democrat could have put up a better fight in the House, they would not have lost so much of what little credibility they had, now it will be another 40 years of not winning another election!

Those idiots do not know how to win an election, so they try to form a appointed counsel dictatorship they were not any more successful with that! Now lets start a revolution, while he was on stage daring the Red shirts to come face his popcorn warriors, the ammart pull the rug from under him.

Now he is trying to save face by saying the move should not be seen as a retreat? 5555, right, it was like a full scale bug out, each yellow for himself.

He did not have a choice, the Ammart will stop paying him.

Cheers

So the Dems not being able to win an election is the reason the reds want to secede and form a republic! LOL the red apologists and spin doctors are getting more valiant in their efforts to defend the red shortcomings! Not better but definitely more valiant! clap2.gif

The reason the Reds are upset is not that the Dems can't win an election but the fact that time after time the Dems refuse to accept their loss and illegally throw out the duly elected government.

A case of creeping delusion on Suthep's part. If he wasn't such a thug with blood on his hands you'd almost feel sorry for him.

actually he is showing a lot of sense, the protesters are trying to end the corruption and do not want to take the country into anarchy but the reds on the other hand are threatening war if they do not get what they want, this is the difference between the two groups. One wants a better Thailand for everyone while the other wants the country to do as they say when they say it and have the "reds" tell everyone what they can and cant do.

They aren't trying to stop corruption. They are trying to stop the shinwatras corruption.

It's like health insurance. Pre existing corruption isnt covered.

At last someone who actually remembers corruption before Thaksin. Funny how no one seems to remember that the so called anti-corruption Whistle Blower that blew the whistle on Potjaman in the Emporium were from the Srivakorn family who founded jointly founded Finance One which had a B50 Billion Baht bail out from tax payer's money even though their finance/investment company was bankrupt and still trading. The B50 Billion was to cover money pulled out by rich families who were forewarned of the dodgy state of the company, whilst at the same time the ordinary investors were encouraged to plough more money into their company. Finance one caused the collapse of the Baht and the Asian Crisis. Pin Chakapak, Korn's Uncle fled to the UK so no one in Finance one was ever prosecuted successfully. Pin returned last year after the statute of limitations ran out. Then there was the B170 Billion of public money ploughed in to Bangkok Bank of Commerce. The Salween logging Scandal, and the Ministry of Health Scandal, and so on and on and on.

Surely not, the fact that the old money is so entrenched in their positions and will not give up their place at the top table. I hadn't heard that about Korn though. Doesn't surprise me one bit. Thailand business and politics is absolutely riven with conflicts of interest on all sides. All is either ok, or evil depending on with whom and to whom the business is done these days. It just seems to me that the Democrats steal their money with a much softer accent and a hand shake.

I passed a PDRC demonstration on Pahonyothin Road this afternoon. Very sparse crowd and nearly everyone was a black-clad security thug. Suthep has his own paramilitary already within an existing government. But for some strange reason, that isn't called secession. Go figure.

• Like 1

You mean you do not agree with the

"Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban said demonstrators would disperse and return home in case the political dispute becomes civil war."

Yes and he is just waiting to fulfil his many promises to hand himself in to face the charges laid against him. When was that again... I forget..

I guess u mixed up something.I thought Yingluk was the elected Pm of Thailand,and I thought u can be Pm of Thailand through elections.A better Thailand for who?For hisos,army,and royalists?How about the 40+% voters of Yingluk?Appointed council is better than free elected government?Makes me wonder where do u come from.By the way all the reds want is Suthep stops his BS and wait till next election and i would say that is a legal wish

Its a shame the yellow shirt royalists didn't want a ''better thailand for everyone '' 30 years ago!

“When the old refuses to die, and the new is struggling to be born, monsters appear.”

Until you change the education system here, its going to be ground hog day for a very long time to come.

Meanwhile the yellow shirts have got what they wished for.
An uneducated people to control.
They just didn't bank on it being a red shirt controlling them!
  • Like 1

I'm sure there's a forum rule about rumours, that's two topics now you've been rumour mongering, but your posts are entertaining to say the least.

How about just letting the rest of the country speak for itself, have a snap election, protests stand down, no blockading of the ballot boxes, and let democracy take it course, winner takes all, the loser just shuts the <deleted> up and walks away whether they be red or yellow.

And maybe, just maybe Thailand can begin repairing its reputation and start moving forwards again.??

It has been pointed out many, many times on this forum that democracy is not just about an election. It is about governing for ALL the people in Thailand, fairly and without prejudice, not just for those who voted for you. This has been one of the problems all along. Thaksin and his subsequent governments have only ever given some (a little actually) of government expenditures to his power base with the bulk of it going into the pockets of himself and his cronies, completely ignoring the rest of the country. Several clear examples:

1. The rice scheme. All the farmers in the north and only some of the some of the north-eastern part of Thailand got paid in full. Those that had some support for the Democrats (Phitsanoluk?) didn't get anything so far. Not one baht!

2. The rubber farmers in the south got absolutely no help from this government when the rubber prices fell through the floor . It has no PTP MPs

3. Bangkok gets nothing from the government budget even though it provides a very high proportion of government revenues. Bangkok buses are a disgrace but PTP only wanted to lease 1,000 buses so that they could rake off the top of the lease payments. Again, Bangkok has only one or two PTP MPs.

This has been the case throughout the 13 years of the Thaksin-controlled governments. This is not governing for the whole country and it is therefore not a democracy in the real sense of the word. The PRDC believe that Thaksin is buying the vote in the North and part of the north-east which gives him the majority of seats in parliament. There have been many reported cases of villagers being forced to vote - in one case being threatened by her kamnan that he would burn down her house if she didn't vote for Thaksin. This is an anecdotal story which was relayed to me by a very good friend living in Chainat and I have no reason to doubt him. He has seen first hand the thuggishness of the reds.

If the election brings back a Thaksin government under these circumstances, the current problem will only persist ad infinitum and so Thailand will go round in circles until Thaksin either dies or gets bored with the whole process.

Thaksin is a very vindictive narcissist and does not care what he does to Thailand. Or to his sister for that matter. He cares only for himself. This alone should disqualify him from government for life.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Like 2

You mean you do not agree with the

"Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban said demonstrators would disperse and return home in case the political dispute becomes civil war."

Yes and he is just waiting to fulfil his many promises to hand himself in to face the charges laid against him. When was that again... I forget..

He still wants to, but is currently engaged in anti-government protests. It would not ook good if the government had him arrested. What would the UN think rolleyes.gif

...Finance one caused the collapse of the Baht and the Asian Crisis. Pin Chakapak, Korn's Uncle fled to the UK so no one in Finance one was ever prosecuted successfully. Pin returned last year after the statute of limitations ran out. Then there was the B170 Billion of public money ploughed in to Bangkok Bank of Commerce. The Salween logging Scandal, and the Ministry of Health Scandal, and so on and on and on.

You do realize that both Chalerm and Thaksin greatly profited from the collapse of Thai baht in 1997/1998. The history between Suthep and Thaksin goes all the way to 1997.

The corruption has always existed in Thai society. Everywhere as a matter of fact. However, this current caretaker government went over the top. They've run up almost 25 billion USD debt within 2 years and a half. They're simply too greedy. It's time to go.

Deputy Prime Minister in the Chavalit government[edit]

On 15 August 1997, Thaksin was invited to become Deputy Prime Minister in Chavalit Yongchaiyudh's government. This occurred soon after the Thai Baht was floated and devalued in 2 July 1997, sparking the Asian Financial Crisis. Thaksin held this position for only 3 months, leaving on November 14 after Chavalit resigned.

During an unsuccessful censure debate on 27 September 1997, Democrat Suthep Thaugsuban accused Thaksin of profiting on insider information about the government's decision to float the Baht.[4] However, this accusation was not investigated during the subsequent Democrat or TRT governments[5] During 1997, Thaksin's flagship company AIS suffered 1.8 billion THB in foreign exchange losses and saw its debt more than double due to the devaluation. However, critics have alleged that Thaksin's businesses suffered much less from the devaluation than rival companies.[6]

• Like 1

it’s possible she may assign civilian forces to start a civil war. If that is the case, I will simply tell people to return home. It’s the duties of the military and police to suppress rebels

he believes she may "assign civilian forces" ?

a trip to the psychiatrist is called for poor fellow

in another topic yinny want the army to investigate the magnitude if people wanting to secede.

I think,she wants to know how much ACTUAL support there is before she sides with that group.

Run with the fox..hunt with the hounds.

Very very clever

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

I'm sure there's a forum rule about rumours, that's two topics now you've been rumour mongering, but your posts are entertaining to say the least.

How about just letting the rest of the country speak for itself, have a snap election, protests stand down, no blockading of the ballot boxes, and let democracy take it course, winner takes all, the loser just shuts the <deleted> up and walks away whether they be red or yellow.

And maybe, just maybe Thailand can begin repairing its reputation and start moving forwards again.??

It has been pointed out many, many times on this forum that democracy is not just about an election. It is about governing for ALL the people in Thailand, fairly and without prejudice, not just for those who voted for you. This has been one of the problems all along. Thaksin and his subsequent governments have only ever given some (a little actually) of government expenditures to his power base with the bulk of it going into the pockets of himself and his cronies, completely ignoring the rest of the country. Several clear examples:

1. The rice scheme. All the farmers in the north and only some of the some of the north-eastern part of Thailand got paid in full. Those that had some support for the Democrats (Phitsanoluk?) didn't get anything so far. Not one baht!

2. The rubber farmers in the south got absolutely no help from this government when the rubber prices fell through the floor . It has no PTP MPs

3. Bangkok gets nothing from the government budget even though it provides a very high proportion of government revenues. Bangkok buses are a disgrace but PTP only wanted to lease 1,000 buses so that they could rake off the top of the lease payments. Again, Bangkok has only one or two PTP MPs.

This has been the case throughout the 13 years of the Thaksin-controlled governments. This is not governing for the whole country and it is therefore not a democracy in the real sense of the word. The PRDC believe that Thaksin is buying the vote in the North and part of the north-east which gives him the majority of seats in parliament. There have been many reported cases of villagers being forced to vote - in one case being threatened by her kamnan that he would burn down her house if she didn't vote for Thaksin. This is an anecdotal story which was relayed to me by a very good friend living in Chainat and I have no reason to doubt him. He has seen first hand the thuggishness of the reds.

If the election brings back a Thaksin government under these circumstances, the current problem will only persist ad infinitum and so Thailand will go round in circles until Thaksin either dies or gets bored with the whole process.

Thaksin is a very vindictive narcissist and does not care what he does to Thailand. Or to his sister for that matter. He cares only for himself. This alone should disqualify him from government for life.

You are talking about dismantling an essential part of Thai culture through the law. It is as Thai as talking about oneself in the third person. I sometimes wonder if talking about oneself in that way, somehow creates this ability to talk about things like corruption in an unconnected manner. As though, Khun Suthep might be corrupt, but I would never do such a thing. What you are complaining about as being the way it has been since the Thaksin government will be answered with cries of "!it was the other way around under the other governments".

The problem is that NEITHER side knows how act on behalf of the whole country, particularly concerning agribusiness. I think it is fair to say, that agbribusiness is staunchly Democrat, and I would think its safe to say, that the farmers themselves haven't really benefitted from Thailand becoming the biggest exporter or the biggest producer of rubber. It appears that the middle man is the only person to lift himself out of poverty and to have any security of income. He shoulders little of the price risk and everything is tossed onto the farmer.

Thaksin doesn't care about Thailand you scream. Neither does any Thai industrialist who relies on a poorly educated, rural economy to supply his produce, or a businessman who hides between protectionism to be able to gouge the market, and the list goes on. EVERYONE is looking after their OWN Interests before that of the country as a whole.

I love nothing better than when it is said that industry must be protected to "benefit" the country. I think an awful lot of people are still waiting to see from where and when this "benefit" is going to arrive. Seems that the benefit only extends to owners being able to make monopoly profit from Thai consumers, or screw Thai suppliers to the floor. Long live the Thai Middle Man, a rent taker extraordinaire.

You are talking about dismantling an essential part of Thai culture through the law. It is as Thai as talking about oneself in the third person. I sometimes wonder if talking about oneself in that way, somehow creates this ability to talk about things like corruption in an unconnected manner. As though, Khun Suthep might be corrupt, but I would never do such a thing. What you are complaining about as being the way it has been since the Thaksin government will be answered with cries of "!it was the other way around under the other governments".

The problem is that NEITHER side knows how act on behalf of the whole country, particularly concerning agribusiness. I think it is fair to say, that agbribusiness is staunchly Democrat, and I would think its safe to say, that the farmers themselves haven't really benefitted from Thailand becoming the biggest exporter or the biggest producer of rubber. It appears that the middle man is the only person to lift himself out of poverty and to have any security of income. He shoulders little of the price risk and everything is tossed onto the farmer.

Thaksin doesn't care about Thailand you scream. Neither does any Thai industrialist who relies on a poorly educated, rural economy to supply his produce, or a businessman who hides between protectionism to be able to gouge the market, and the list goes on. EVERYONE is looking after their OWN Interests before that of the country as a whole.

I love nothing better than when it is said that industry must be protected to "benefit" the country. I think an awful lot of people are still waiting to see from where and when this "benefit" is going to arrive. Seems that the benefit only extends to owners being able to make monopoly profit from Thai consumers, or screw Thai suppliers to the floor. Long live the Thai Middle Man, a rent taker extraordinaire.

Who is screaming? Certainly not I. Who is complaining? Again, not I (note the lower case). I have stated my opinion in a thoughtful and considered way yet you choose to call it screaming and complaining . Given that you have shouted a couple of time in your post, it would seem that it is you who is screaming and complaining simply because you do not like my opinion. Obviously you are a sensitive creature who reads more into a post than is intended. It is hard being a Thaksinista on this forum. I feel for you.

Having said that, I agree with some of your comments regarding the middle men, particularly in the rice trade, who are as voracious and greedy as Thaksin. It is a trait of the first (and perhaps the second generation) Thai-Chinese immigrants (I stress, this is not intended to be a racist remark - far from it) It is probably derived from the fact that many of them arrived poor and penniless . It is just the nature of the beast. It is the reason why the Thais have a derogatory name for them. However, I have found that many third and fourth generation of Thai-Chinese to be intelligent, charming and generous and, while hard-working, are not as greedy or voracious as their fathers and grandfathers.

Who is screaming? Certainly not I. Who is complaining? Again, not I (note the lower case). I have stated my opinion in a thoughtful and considered way yet you choose to call it screaming and complaining . Given that you have shouted a couple of time in your post, it would seem that it is you who is screaming and complaining simply because you do not like my opinion. Obviously you are a sensitive creature who reads more into a post than is intended. It is hard being a Thaksinista on this forum. I feel for you.

Having said that, I agree with some of your comments regarding the middle men, particularly in the rice trade, who are as voracious and greedy as Thaksin. It is a trait of the first (and perhaps the second generation) Thai-Chinese immigrants (I stress, this is not intended to be a racist remark - far from it) It is probably derived from the fact that many of them arrived poor and penniless . It is just the nature of the beast. It is the reason why the Thais have a derogatory name for them. However, I have found that many third and fourth generation of Thai-Chinese to be intelligent, charming and generous and, while hard-working, are not as greedy or voracious as their fathers and grandfathers.

1. As yet, zero convictions for corruption involving the rice scheme. Plenty of accusations flying about - but nothing proven.

2. This rubber issue I know nothing about, but it should be noted that during the last 13 years there has been 2 non Red coup governments (nearly 5 years worth). So depending on when the "crisis" occurred - did the Democrats have the opportunity do do something and choose to do nothing?

3. This is your biggest booboo. Bangkok generates 26% of GPD and has 17% of the population yet it receives 72% of government expenditure. And that is under a Red government - they get more even more than that when the Democrats are in charge.

4. Several International institutions have declared that elections in Thailand are by and large free and fair, whatever rorting does occur is so minor as to be inconsequential.

5. The rest is just a regurgitation of Sutheps over the top unproven childish rants.

The problem is not about democracy here, the problem is about which side will get the power and of course the money.

Exit Suthep and Shin family, let's Thailand find new politicians with real value of honesty, I still hope new elites for the country, maybe just a dream.

Your last comment is shocking, how can you accuse anyone on this forum of supporting or condoning the murder of little Children.

I don't believe for one minute any member here, regardless of the political divide they come from would advocate, support and condone the act of killing children!!

• Like 1

We are closer to civil war than I ever thought possible here but I still don't think there are enough Thai people stupid enough to go down that road. There are a few cowardly terrorists willing to kill children but I bet they would not have what it takes to fight facing an enemy that fights back.

"......I bet they would not have what it takes to fight facing an enemy that fights back."

Yes, and I wonder how the Thai army would deal with an enemy that was able to fight back

Don't you read the news from the deep south of Thailand.

The problem is not about democracy here, the problem is about which side will get the power and of course the money.

Exit Suthep and Shin family, let's Thailand find new politicians with real value of honesty, I still hope new elites for the country, maybe just a dream.

Its simple, you have an election and you resepct the outcome of the vote.

The trouble is the ones who lose and keep losing will not accept the result. So they continually use the army, the courts and the Democrat party members (past and present) in order to create unrest in order to grab back power.

Thailands problems will perhaps be solved in about 50 years, when sea level rises have meant that Bangkok is finally totally submerged in water and gone.

Not long to wait now, just another 5 decades and Bangkok and its divisive effect on Thailand being neutralised by the sea :)

Suthep is just a puppet. A puppet of others. They pull his strings and he dances on stage to their tune. Of course he rejects civil war, whats the point of a fight where you can lose everything. He and his masters just want a little unrest with which they can via the courts and military threats grab back power of everything or at worst just wait another month or year before trying again. They absolutely do not want any scenario where they could lose everything and so its no surprise for Suthep and his masters to get very agitated and uncomfortable when the subject of secession or civil war is raised.

All in my opinion of course.

• Like 1

We are closer to civil war than I ever thought possible here but I still don't think there are enough Thai people stupid enough to go down that road. There are a few cowardly terrorists willing to kill children but I bet they would not have what it takes to fight facing an enemy that fights back.

"......I bet they would not have what it takes to fight facing an enemy that fights back."

Yes, and I wonder how the Thai army would deal with an enemy that was able to fight back

Don't you read the news from the deep south of Thailand.

Exactly, not doing a very good down there are they? Nearly 6,000 people have died and 10,000 been injured since 2004

...Finance one caused the collapse of the Baht and the Asian Crisis. Pin Chakapak, Korn's Uncle fled to the UK so no one in Finance one was ever prosecuted successfully. Pin returned last year after the statute of limitations ran out. Then there was the B170 Billion of public money ploughed in to Bangkok Bank of Commerce. The Salween logging Scandal, and the Ministry of Health Scandal, and so on and on and on.

You do realize that both Chalerm and Thaksin greatly profited from the collapse of Thai baht in 1997/1998. The history between Suthep and Thaksin goes all the way to 1997.

The corruption has always existed in Thai society. Everywhere as a matter of fact. However, this current caretaker government went over the top. They've run up almost 25 billion USD debt within 2 years and a half. They're simply too greedy. It's time to go.

Deputy Prime Minister in the Chavalit government[edit]

On 15 August 1997, Thaksin was invited to become Deputy Prime Minister in Chavalit Yongchaiyudh's government. This occurred soon after the Thai Baht was floated and devalued in 2 July 1997, sparking the Asian Financial Crisis. Thaksin held this position for only 3 months, leaving on November 14 after Chavalit resigned.

During an unsuccessful censure debate on 27 September 1997, Democrat Suthep Thaugsuban accused Thaksin of profiting on insider information about the government's decision to float the Baht.[5] During 1997, Thaksin's flagship company AIS suffered 1.8 billion THB in foreign exchange losses and saw its debt more than double due to the devaluation. However, critics have alleged that Thaksin's businesses suffered much less from the devaluation than rival companies.

Mackie, I do know the history going back to 1982. In fact I was warned by the brother of Finance Minister Amnuay Viravan and the Head of SCB at a dinner, that they had already spent too much money defending the Baht and there was no money left so that the next week they would float the baht. General Chavalit stated that only he and the finance minister knew. However, if I knew, you can see that everyone with connections in Politics including Suthep were forewarned to change their Bahts to dollars. I warned my Company but the Thai Finance Officer told the M.D. that the Baht would not be devalued so they lost $45,000 dollars on just one project alone. Most of the companies associated with politicians of all parties including Democrats suffered less as many of them were also forewarned.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra" data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra" s_entry_into_politics#cite_note-6"="">

Just curious, but how many of you here at TV think a civil war is highly likely in Thailand? Reason I ask is that last week I read a column about countries around the world that could rapdily fall into civil war and Thailand was on the list with Ukraine. Ukraine may still calm down, but how about LOS...... would people really want to get involved in something as devastating as a war?

Edited by dude123

Civil war ain't gonna happen whilst the Big Chair is still around. Once he's gone, all bets are off. Just like Yugoslavia post WW II, the only thing that kept the place together, was Tito. Once Tito was gone, the Serbs and Croats were at each other's throats.