Jeremy Clarkson accused of 'racism' during Top Gear series finale in Thailand

webfact

White people can be the target for all sorts of things, but they can never experience what it means to be an

oppressed underclass lorded over by an inhumane dominant class with a false sense of superiority.

they can never experience what it means to be an oppressed underclass lorded over by an inhumane dominant class with a false sense of superiority

I guess you've never lived in Thailand or Japan, then. A white man (or any non-Thai, non-Japanese) will never be considered and equal in those countries and there may be more places I don't know about. You make ridiculous, unsubstantiated claims to bolster your misguided belief system. I love the way you are so empathetic that you can be offended for other people who may or may not be offended. As other people have said to you, "Get over yourself".

BTW, why do you describe white people as 'inhumane dominant class with a false sense of superiority'? Are all white people 'lording over an oppressed underclass'?

Hyperbolic, much?

Also, who, exactly, is Jeremy Clarkson oppressing and how is he oppressing them, by his double entendre?

Obviously, a lot of folks on here need to learn what the true nature of racism is.

I've never encountered so many clueless folks in one place as here.

Rather amazing in this day and age... and a bit pathetic.

Racism (and bigotry) is as old as the differences of humans. Racism is not harmful unless one uses it to demean, discriminate, or otherwise have hateful feelings against someone over something they have no control, i.e. their race. Bigotry, on the other hand, is evil. As a white man, I am exposed to racism and bigotry in Thailand every day whether I acknowledge it or not. A good friend, who is from Taiwan, came to visit me in Bangkok and when I took her to Wat Po, I was charged an entry fee and, though she is not Thai, they never gave her a second look because she is Asian. That is racism. I'm not allowed in many (most) Japanese clubs in Bangkok; that is racism and bigotry. I don't let it bother me as most mature adults who are exposed to racism just learn to live with it. Life is not fair! In the US, many ethnic comics make racial jokes; all the time referencing stereotypical foibles of their own and other races. People who have a sense of humor, and are not easily offended, pay them money because they are funny. Jeremy Clarkson made a funny double entendre because, in the situation, it worked. Very few people complained because it was clever and not malicious. The subject of the double entendre (the man walking across the sloped bridge) never knew he was being referenced. There are enough blatant examples of bigotry and intolerance in the world without you going after every minor comment. Do you believe Jeremy Clarkson is promoting racial hatred or bigotry? If not, enjoy that he made a clever play on words. The term he used is so out of date that few even knew there was a possibility of racial overtones in the comment. I, personally don't use racial language because, if it were my habit, it would be too easy to slip and hurt someone's feelings but I enjoy the comedy of black comics Eddie Murphy and Chris Rock. The things they say about all races is hilarious but if one is over-sensitive, can be very offensive. Lighten up. You are not going to change people's behavior by condemning them. Change will come, as is has over my lifetime, and will continue to improve. Now, when I tell and 'ethnic' joke, I just say, "How do you get a one-armed ethnic out of a tree?" Answer: "Wave at him". BTW, white is an ethnicity.

Obviously, a lot of folks on here need to learn what the true nature of racism is.

That may be true, but who says you are the one that needs to teach them? In case you haven't noticed, you are getting a lot of backlash to your scoldings.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White people can be the target for all sorts of things, but they can never experience what it means to be an

oppressed underclass lorded over by an inhumane dominant class with a false sense of superiority.

they can never experience what it means to be an oppressed underclass lorded over by an inhumane dominant class with a false sense of superiority

I guess you've never lived in Thailand or Japan, then. A white man (or any non-Thai, non-Japanese) will never be considered and equal in those countries and there may be more places I don't know about. You make ridiculous, unsubstantiated claims to bolster your misguided belief system. I love the way you are so empathetic that you can be offended for other people who may or may not be offended. As other people have said to you, "Get over yourself".

BTW, why do you describe white people as 'inhumane dominant class with a false sense of superiority'? Are all white people 'lording over an oppressed underclass'?

Hyperbolic, much?

Also, who, exactly, is Jeremy Clarkson oppressing and how is he oppressing them, by his double entendre?

Racism (and bigotry) is as old as the differences of humans. Racism is not harmful unless one uses it to demean, discriminate, or otherwise have hateful feelings against someone over something they have no control, i.e. their race. Bigotry, on the other hand, is evil. As a white man, I am exposed to racism and bigotry in Thailand every day whether I acknowledge it or not. A good friend, who is from Taiwan, came to visit me in Bangkok and when I took her to Wat Po, I was charged an entry fee and, though she is not Thai, they never gave her a second look because she is Asian. That is racism. I'm not allowed in many (most) Japanese clubs in Bangkok; that is racism and bigotry. I don't let it bother me as most mature adults who are exposed to racism just learn to live with it. Life is not fair! In the US, many ethnic comics make racial jokes; all the time referencing stereotypical foibles of their own and other races. People who have a sense of humor, and are not easily offended, pay them money because they are funny. Jeremy Clarkson made a funny double entendre because, in the situation, it worked. Very few people complained because it was clever and not malicious. The subject of the double entendre (the man walking across the sloped bridge) never knew he was being referenced. There are enough blatant examples of bigotry and intolerance in the world without you going after every minor comment. Do you believe Jeremy Clarkson is promoting racial hatred or bigotry? If not, enjoy that he made a clever play on words. The term he used is so out of date that few even knew there was a possibility of racial overtones in the comment. I, personally don't use racial language because, if it were my habit, it would be too easy to slip and hurt someone's feelings but I enjoy the comedy of black comics Eddie Murphy and Chris Rock. The things they say about all races is hilarious but if one is over-sensitive, can be very offensive. Lighten up. You are not going to change people's behavior by condemning them. Change will come, as is has over my lifetime, and will continue to improve. Now, when I tell and 'ethnic' joke, I just say, "How do you get a one-armed ethnic out of a tree?" Answer: "Wave at him". BTW, white is an ethnicity.

That may be true, but who says you are the one that needs to teach them? In case you haven't noticed, you are getting a lot of backlash to your scoldings.

Does it really make a difference who teaches them?

And I've been getting backlash for 60 yrs, no problem.

I don't see this as a popularity contest.

Edited by BradinAsia

Hyperbolic, much?

Brilliant,,all in a nut shell:)

Hyperbolic, much?

Utter nonsense, almost EVERY precept is incorrect. You do not understand the nature of discrimination of the fallacy of the concept of race......if you believe in "race" then you are going to believe in some or all of the fallacies and are inherently racist.

A classic argument offered up by racists is to somehow believe that by talking about incidents they perceive as racist by other "races" (see the misconception) that this somehow justifies there own racist attitudes - it's a total non-sequitur.

Edited by wilcopops

I served for over 18 years in a british unit ( army ) . When our regement was on parade,we looked like a draughts-board,we had West Indian,etc,etc

and a large attachment of Gurkha. Jokes and banter were normal. We do not class any of this as Racist,

i have shown some of my black mates this web site, they are laurghing their turbons off at some of the narrow minded comments

Your black mates are laughing their turbons off?

cheesy.gif

I served for over 18 years in a british unit ( army ) . When our regement was on parade,we looked like a draughts-board,we had West Indian,etc,etc

and a large attachment of Gurkha. Jokes and banter were normal. We do not class any of this as Racist,

i have shown some of my black mates this web site, they are laurghing their turbons off at some of the narrow minded comments

By the way,there was always a argument about wearing camouflage cream...

Deeper and Deeper! - you've really got it bad!

Edited by wilcopops

Hahahaha...... great joke.

Keep it up Clarky....

BTW 'slope' is not derogatory... It comes from the Vietnam war and was used by US troops to refer to Vietnamese Communist troops.

Gooks, slopes, Cong, VC, Charlies ..... etc.

Not for defaming reasons, but more a casual military designation.

When the Brits liberated the Falkland Islands. The British Squadies referred to the island locals as 'Bennies'.... If you are a Brit you should know what I mean. For those who don't... Benny was the name of a popular 70s soap opera character, who happened to be mildly retarded.

The military put out a communique to all squaddies and contractors not to refer to the locals as 'Bennies'... So after that everyone referred to them as 'stills'.

They're 'still' Bennies........ lol.

The first character that came into my was the late "Benny Hill". A true master of comedy. IMHO

BTW - Here’s some stuff on the ethnic make -up of the British armed forces and some of the problems faced by minorities in the forces......

“In total, in 2012 the three services had 6.9%. This breaks down as follows: Royal Navy (3.5%) British Army (9.9%) RAF (2.0%).

“RACIST BULLIES DROVE ARMY RECRUIT TO TWICE TRY TO KILL HIMSELF DURING VICIOUS CAMPAIGN OF HARASSMENT”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/racist-bullies-drove-army-recruit-2259548#ixzz3Fk8qGdRQ

RACIST SLUR OR ARMY BANTER? WHAT THE SOLDIERS SAY

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/jan/13/military-prince-harry-race-issues

“MUSLIM PARATROOPER 'FEARED FOR HIS LIFE AFTER MONTHS OF RACIST ABUSE”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/muslim-paratrooper-feared-for-his-life-after-months-of-racist-abuse-603974.html

Utter nonsense, almost EVERY precept is incorrect. You do not understand the nature of discrimination of the fallacy of the concept of race......if you believe in "race" then you are going to believe in some or all of the fallacies and are inherently racist.

A classic argument offered up by racists is to somehow believe that by talking about incidents they perceive as racist by other "races" (see the misconception) that this somehow justifies there own racist attitudes - it's a total non-sequitur.

if you believe in "race" then you are going to believe in some or all of the fallacies and are inherently racist.

By your definition of racism, every anthropologist is a racist because anthropology is the study of race. I find I prefer to be in the company of the educated and not with the narrow-minded, everybody-must-see-the-world-as-I-do types you seem to be a member of. I can't remember being called a racist before but I guess there is a first time for everything. I can, however divide people into groups of hateful, name-callers (such as yourself) and educated, broad-minded people who are not so quick to judge people they don't know. Good day, sir. I won't be responding to your ignorant, self-righteous posts ever again. Spew away, spew away.

Insulting, much?

anthropology: the study of human races, origins, societies, and cultures

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anthropology

Argumentative, much?

BTW - Here’s some stuff on the ethnic make -up of the British armed forces and some of the problems faced by minorities in the forces......

“In total, in 2012 the three services had 6.9%. This breaks down as follows: Royal Navy (3.5%) British Army (9.9%) RAF (2.0%).

“RACIST BULLIES DROVE ARMY RECRUIT TO TWICE TRY TO KILL HIMSELF DURING VICIOUS CAMPAIGN OF HARASSMENT”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/racist-bullies-drove-army-recruit-2259548#ixzz3Fk8qGdRQ

RACIST SLUR OR ARMY BANTER? WHAT THE SOLDIERS SAY

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/jan/13/military-prince-harry-race-issues

“MUSLIM PARATROOPER 'FEARED FOR HIS LIFE AFTER MONTHS OF RACIST ABUSE”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/muslim-paratrooper-feared-for-his-life-after-months-of-racist-abuse-603974.html

You are obviously 100% correct, But I am glad to say this represents a very small percentage of the bullying that takes place. Normaly most of the black guys can stand up to it,as they are mostly hard,the white guys,well thats another story. I have found that when it comes down to the ultimate challenge

the bullys are cowards,and always will be.

This is a problem we have,and I am afraid always will be.

if you believe in "race" then you are going to believe in some or all of the fallacies and are inherently racist.

By your definition of racism, every anthropologist is a racist because anthropology is the study of race. I find I prefer to be in the company of the educated and not with the narrow-minded, everybody-must-see-the-world-as-I-do types you seem to be a member of. I can't remember being called a racist before but I guess there is a first time for everything. I can, however divide people into groups of hateful, name-callers (such as yourself) and educated, broad-minded people who are not so quick to judge people they don't know. Good day, sir. I won't be responding to your ignorant, self-righteous posts ever again. Spew away, spew away.

Insulting, much?

Argumentative, much?

It's a pity you haven't actually READ any of it.

firstly learn how to use a dictionary and interpret it. learn to use googol or learn to research in general.

secondly check out what anthropologists say - maybe even get an idea what the science entails - all this requires learning and study....you'll need to do a lot to catch up on the rest of the world and anthropologists........

"

1. the study of humankind, in particular.
    • the comparative study of human societies and cultures and their development.
      noun: cultural anthropology
    • the science of human zoology, evolution, and ecology.
      noun: physical anthropology; plural noun: physical anthropologies
      no "race" there and as you are clearly unaware the usage of race by racisits is by definition completely contrary to anything in the science of anthropology.
      you are simply again and again digging a hole for yourself.
      ​you really haven't got the wherewithal to hold an argument on a subject or subjects that you are so ill-informed on, you'd learn from a 4 year old.
Edited by wilcopops

Insulting, much?

Argumentative, much?

It's a pity you haven't actually READ any of it.

firstly learn how to use a dictionary and interpret it. learn to use googol or learn to research in general.

secondly check out what anthropologists say - maybe even get an idea what the science entails - all this requires learning and study....you'll need to do a lot to catch up on the rest of the world and anthropologists........

"

1. the study of humankind, in particular.
    • the comparative study of human societies and cultures and their development.
      noun: cultural anthropology
    • the science of human zoology, evolution, and ecology.
      noun: physical anthropology; plural noun: physical anthropologies
      no "race" there and as you are clearly unaware the usage of race by racisits is by definition completely contrary to anything in the science of anthropology.
      you are simply again and again digging a hole for yourself.
      ​you really haven't got the wherewithal to hold an argument on a subject or subjects that you are so ill-informed on, you'd learn from a 4 year old.

If, as you say, there is no such thing as race, how can people be racists, then? I don't believe you think your arguments through; you just like to argue.

You have to learn to be racist.

1215010_orig.jpg

You have to learn to be racist argumentative.

Are we born racist?

http://www.haaretz.com/weekend/magazine/.premium-1.528187

Babies develop racist traits aged nine months, before coming into contact with other races

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2139735/Babies-develop-racist-traits-aged-months-coming-contact-races.html

Even Babies Discriminate: A NurtureShock Excerpt.

http://www.newsweek.com/even-babies-discriminate-nurtureshock-excerpt-79233

Study Shows Racism is Part of a Toddler’s Natural Behavior

http://www.dailystormer.com/study-shows-racism-is-part-of-a-toddlers-natural-behavior/

Racist Babies? Nine-Month-Olds Show Bias When Looking At Faces, Study Shows

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/04/racist-babies-nine-month-olds-bias-faces_n_1477937.html

I want you to stop asking forum members to take your 'belief' system as fact and, instead, I want you to take your arguments to the scientists who did the above studies. You really need to understand that you are not always correct.

All of the above studies show that racism is natural but, depending on your upbringing, can be unlearned. You should not continue to bash and name-call because other members don't share your values. I'm happy for you that your upbringing allowed you to overcome your nature but you need to stop being a <deleted> about it.

Clarkson 'fabricated' number plate row to paint us as 'savages', blasts Argentine diplomat ARGENTINA'S UK ambassador has waded into the Top Gear number plate row, accusing Jeremy Clarkson of "fabricating" his version of events.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/522119/Clarkson-fabricated-number-plate-row-to-paint-us-as-savages-blasts-Argentine-diplomat

Hahahaha...... great joke.

Keep it up Clarky....

BTW 'slope' is not derogatory... It comes from the Vietnam war and was used by US troops to refer to Vietnamese Communist troops.

Gooks, slopes, Cong, VC, Charlies ..... etc.

Not for defaming reasons, but more a casual military designation.

When the Brits liberated the Falkland Islands. The British Squadies referred to the island locals as 'Bennies'.... If you are a Brit you should know what I mean. For those who don't... Benny was the name of a popular 70s soap opera character, who happened to be mildly retarded.

The military put out a communique to all squaddies and contractors not to refer to the locals as 'Bennies'... So after that everyone referred to them as 'stills'.

They're 'still' Bennies........ lol.

Slope is 'old' short form of 'slope head' referring to forehead shape of many natives in that area of Vietnam of the time, allegedly, and the Falklands bit I understood was "SFB's" meaning "Still F****** Bennies".

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29706449

The Argentine ambassador to the UK has called for the BBC to make a public apology following the row over an edition of Top Gear filmed in the South American country.

The stars and crew of the show had to leave Argentina amid angry protests - reportedly over a number plate that appeared to refer to the Falklands War.

The team, including Jeremy Clarkson, had been filming a Christmas special.

Executive producer Andy Wilman has denied the number plate was a "stunt".

The crew had travelled to Argentina last month to film the Top Gear special, which saw Clarkson and co-stars Richard Hammond and James May drive the famous Patagonian highway - Route 40 - to the southernmost city of Ushuaia.

1215010_orig.jpg

Are we born racist?

Babies develop racist traits aged nine months, before coming into contact with other races

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2139735/Babies-develop-racist-traits-aged-months-coming-contact-races.html

http://www.dailystormer.com/study-shows-racism-is-part-of-a-toddlers-natural-behavior/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/04/racist-babies-nine-month-olds-bias-faces_n_1477937.html

I want you to stop asking forum members to take your 'belief' system as fact and, instead, I want you to take your arguments to the scientists who did the above studies. You really need to understand that you are not always correct.

All of the above studies show that racism is natural but, depending on your upbringing, can be unlearned. You should not continue to bash and name-call because other members don't share your values. I'm happy for you that your upbringing allowed you to overcome your nature but you need to stop being a <deleted> about it.

QED - racist who is too stupid to review or analyse his sources. You might also learn to read?

Edited by wilcopops

1215010_orig.jpg

Are we born racist?

QED - racist who is too stupid to review or analyse his sources. You might also learn to read?

Ah, with the name calling, again, and you don't even know me. You look down on anyone who does not take your opinions. How does that make you better than those who look down on others because of racial heritage? It doesn't! Me thinks you are projecting your own hatred of the Human race and that make you the ultimate racist, yourself. Good bye. You may respond but I will not be able to read as I have now blocked your argumentative, hateful self; so you can argue with the wind.

1215010_orig.jpg

Are we born racist?

Ah, with the name calling, again, and you don't even know me. You look down on anyone who does not take your opinions. How does that make you better than those who look down on others because of racial heritage? It doesn't! Me thinks you are projecting your own hatred of the Human race and that make you the ultimate racist, yourself. Good bye. You may respond but I will not be able to read as I have now blocked your argumentative, hateful self; so you can argue with the wind.

I don't know you, but the views you express are those of the scum of the earth.......

Let me go out on a limb and state that, IMO, Clarkson is no more racist than 99.99% of the rest of the human race. It's just that most of us don't get to express it on an international television show, and so go unnoticed by the media hypocrytes.

this is the human urge for inclusion - the urge to claim that everyone else thinks like you....unfortunately people seldom are aware of it and so do't get it in perspective.