Thai FM Surapong implores Democrats to enter the general election

webfact

Foreign Affairs Minister implores Democrats to enter the general election

BANGKOK, 24 March 2014 (NNT) - The Foreign Affairs Minister, Surapong Tovichak-chaikul, is trying to persuade the Democrat Party to enter the general election.

Mr. Surapong asked that Suthep Thaugsuban, the leader of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee, or PDRC, to stop his upcoming big march planned for this March 29th so that Thailand can return to being a democratic country by going through an election process. Mr. Surapong made it clear, however, that Suthep wouldn't likely listen to him because of their different political stances.

The Foreign Affairs Minister mentioned his dissatisfaction with the Constitution Court, the Election Commission, and others who obstructed the February 2nd election. He stated that the Charter Court has ignored the rights of the 20 million people who went to vote on February 2nd in the general election and that the Election Commission must be held accountable for allowing the election to become nullified. Mr. Surapong also asked the Democrat Party to enter the election so that true democracy can actually take shape.

Mr. Surapong went on to say that the appointment of a neutral Prime Minister is not possible because the laws of the Constitution state that the Prime Minister must be appointed only by the MPs and such action would violate the Constitution. Should a neutral prime minister be appointed, then the constitution would have to be rewritten first.

Mr. Surapong has been providing information to the foreign media about the current Thai political situation and said that if anything was changed in the Constitution, then the world would not accept it and it would bring chaos to Thailand.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-03-24 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

So it doesn't count when PT try to change the Constitution (Senate makeup as one example) in underhanded and illegal ways? That's somehow OK cos they had "the majority"? Bunch of lying, cheating hypocrites. Much the same however as most MP's in Thailand it seems.

He's right though about one thing, trying to change the Constitution in the way they did DID bring chaos to Thailand.

• Like 2

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Why?

Elections in Thailand (not to mention many other so-called "democracies") are merely a show, put on by the ruling elite to give the illusion of control to the people.

In fact the monied elite have already bought out BOTH or ALL of the political parties ..... it is that monied elite who is actually in control.

Once Mao said, "Political power flows from the barrel of the gun", but today that is no longer true.

Today the power flows from the CEO's and the boardrooms of the wealthy international corporations.

So they give the people a meaningless election show , with candidates already controlled and owned by them. and quite aware that whichever one of the meaningless political puppets does win is already in their control.

That insures that there will be no real change. the elite will stay in control, no matter which of their puppets "wins" such a sham election.

The elite will always stay in charge.... it's their money that controls the purse strings their politician puppets dance to anyhow.

It's what I call the "Tinker Bell" politics effect.

It goes like this ..... bend over Tinker Bell, grab your cheeks, and repeat after me, "Yes Peter Pan, I DO believe in Fairies".

whistling.gifwhistling.gif

In a Democracy, if you don't vote, you don't have a say. Majority rules. No whining, no bitching. Adopt policy and plans that will win the majority, or stay on the porch.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I wonder what would happen if in response to Surapong's begging Suthep was to say something like, "OK, if the Shins get out of Thai politics as we want the Democrats will stand in the election like Pheu Thai wants."

Would it really be such a sacrifice for the Shinawat family? Thaksin says he's not involved any more, Yingluck would probably grab the chance to quit before she ages another ten years and Surapong is well past his sell by date anyway.

It would be the closest thing yet to compromise on both sides and it might actually work.

It would never work, there is only one man who is trule worthy of running the country, if he can't do it because he ran away like a coward, then his sister can do it. People who say that this is simply democracy are crazy. This a form of devotion similar to that in North Korea. I fear that splitting the country is looking like a good idea.

I wonder what would happen if in response to Surapong's begging Suthep was to say something like, "OK, if the Shins get out of Thai politics as we want the Democrats will stand in the election like Pheu Thai wants."

Would it really be such a sacrifice for the Shinawat family? Thaksin says he's not involved any more, Yingluck would probably grab the chance to quit before she ages another ten years and Surapong is well past his sell by date anyway.

It would be the closest thing yet to compromise on both sides and it might actually work.

It would never work, there is only one man who is trule worthy of running the country, if he can't do it because he ran away like a coward, then his sister can do it. People who say that this is simply democracy are crazy. This a form of devotion similar to that in North Korea. I fear that splitting the country is looking like a good idea.

God Forbid! I never want to leave my beloved Chiang Mai. Let that **** stay in Dubai!

Mr. Surapong has been providing information to the foreign media about the current Thai political situation and said that if anything was changed in the Constitution, then the world would not accept it and it would bring chaos to Thailand.

Excepting of course Pheu Thai doing the change in the constitution, which would be absolutely acceptable worldwide and bring prosperity to card carrying Pheu Thai members...

I think firstly they should change the moniker "Constitution" and call it "Constipation", for it has swollen beyond recognition and is in dire need of an enema.

In a Democracy, if you don't vote, you don't have a say. Majority rules. No whining, no bitching. Adopt policy and plans that will win the majority, or stay on the porch.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I can't disagree with that.

But I've never heard of a country being run by someone in another country since the days of the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact.

And that wasn't much of a democracy either.

" Should a neutral prime minister be appointed, then the constitution would have to be rewritten first. "

​Untrue. Article 7 makes it clear in the event of a parliamentary vacuum, that a prime minister is nominated through the Senate. What Thaksin's cousin doesn't say is that it was Pheu Thai's insistence to change the constitution that caused the chaos in the first place. What Thaksin's cousin doesn't say is that the Yingluck administration abused parliamentary rules, and conducted themselves consistently in an unconstitutional manner in bills like the rice scheme and other massive bills, that were crafted to dodge oversight. What Thaksin's cousin doesn't say is that Pheu Thai MPs were filmed voting twice on a number of key occasions. Perhaps he assumed it was because that they loved democracy that much. Surapong may be trying to " inform " the foreign media, but nobody in the foreign media believes what he says.

I like this! I love democracy so I vote twice. You love democracy more and vote 3 times!

A second point, isn't it an interim "caretaker prime minister" and not an "interim prime minister"?

Not long ago the red shirts and Pheua Thai were demanding the present constitution be changed because it was 'fruit from a poisonous tree' ( the coup), but now they love it-'can't have an outsider as PM, it's against the constitution'.

As the UN was not Thaksin's father, now they love him too, UN President Ban should change his phone number and email address to stop the constant calls from Surapong.

So it doesn't count when PT try to change the Constitution (Senate makeup as one example) in underhanded and illegal ways? That's somehow OK cos they had "the majority"? Bunch of lying, cheating hypocrites. Much the same however as most MP's in Thailand it seems.

He's right though about one thing, trying to change the Constitution in the way they did DID bring chaos to Thailand.

Huh?

The dems changed the constitutional layout of the parliament when they were in power with a simple majority.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

Huh?

The dems changed the constitutional layout of the parliament when they were in power with a simple majority.

Right, but the Dems DIDN'T do it in a way that was illegal, unconstitutional or underhanded unlike everything PT seems to be doing.

Huh?

Right, but the Dems DIDN'T do it in a way that was illegal, unconstitutional or underhanded unlike everything PT seems to be doing.

Why can't they do it by majority vote then?

• Like 1

Huh?

You tell me, I don't know why they seem incapable of doing much that actually isn't illegal, unconstitutional or underhanded. They seem to be following Thaksin's modus operandi to the letter with that unmitigated arrogance that they can do whatever they want.

Huh?

You tell me, I don't know why they seem incapable of doing much that actually isn't illegal, unconstitutional or underhanded. They seem to be following Thaksin's modus operandi to the letter with that unmitigated arrogance that they can do whatever they want.

Well the CC said they couldnt, although the dems did. So the CC said there had to be a referendum unless it was modified in single articles.

So they tried that, and the CC intervened again.

So, it would appear that its OK for the democrats to modify stuff,but not ptp.

That's OK. I understand why its pointless to hire lawyers to tell u wants likely to happen in a Thai court. Fact is , they can't. It just can happen to be made up on the day.

• Like 1

Too easy, would never work. Nowhere near enough conflict provided rolleyes.gif