Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This just outlines the requirements for hotels. Tourists don't have to report themselves separately - the hotel will do that for you.

However, If you are staying in a private residence you will have to fill out a form by the looks of it. It has been the law for a while but most don't bother doing it.

Carrying ID is required as always - I haven't been doing this in fear of losing my passport and being stranded but I will do if they are doing a clampdown for a few weeks.

Only fill TM28 out if you are staying away from your hotel you originally checked-in at for over 24 hours but I really can't see this enforced as immigration would have to check every house/condo in the country for non-registered occupants. If you move hotels then the second hotel will report your address change anyway.

Edited by SolarGolf
  • Like 1

I'm not feeling very wecome here anymore. I think I'll pack up the wife and kids and go back to my own country to spend my money. Starting to sound more and more like China over here. Anybody with me?

You need to give this country longer than 30 minutes.

When I think about back home in the US, where the governments, state and federal, give illegal aliens driver's licenses, free education, free medical, identification access with Mexican matricula consular ID cards, homeowner loans, taxpayer IDs, and free money with Earned Income Tax Credits, I can understand why Thailand wants to protect itself.

• Like 1

What a crock of horseshit. I can imagine the reaction in the police station in outer whoop whoop (also known as Isaan) when I drop in to let them know Im in town for a few days! Thailand is starting to sound just like Myanmar.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Great. They're starting to enforce the laws written before the dawn of ages. And those rules are actually in the act, so they're not going anywhere soon. Enjoy filling a form every day, oh happiness. 

You might consider that Thais, the occupants of the country which you have chosen to call 'home', have to carry their cards all the time.

If they have one.

The usual nonsense post by the nonsense crowd. There have been reports over the years from Hua Hin Immigration of people being fined 2,000baht for not reporting their return within 24 hours of arrival, nothing new.

is it just me or do others detect a "trend" here?

Ah, I have a feeling you don't remember when Thaksin was first elected and appointed Purachai as Minister or the Interior (which then included the Police Department). He was so obviously xenophobic it scared the **** out of me. He derailed the processing of permanent residence applications for years. I confess this is a tad worrying, too.
  • Like 1

Thank you Dr. Like I've said over and over again, some people just don't get it. If enforced yes TM 28 in addition to whatever the hotel etc. reports. And 2008 is not relevant today, only today and tomorrow.

Just because you've said it over and over again doesn't make your interpretation correct!
  • Like 1

As with any announcement from Immgration, I am always left with more questions than I have answers...

So are tourists here for two weeks now meant to take their passports to the beach, trekking through the jungle or in a soapy massage??

Wahahahahaha Edited by 11alvin11

And what about car and motorbike rentals who ask for passport deposit? Is this now illegal?

Car rental agencies don't ask for passports as a deposit. I've rented through AVIS, Budget, Thai rent-a-car, Lanna Car rental (Lampang and Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai), even Highway car rent in Bangkok, which seems quite dodgy but none of them ask to keep your passport.

So please tell me what car rental operators ask for passports as a deposit. I'm pretty sure there are none. Motorcycle operators - that's a different story though.

"Just because you've said it over and over again doesn't make your interpretation correct!" Can not you people read FM 28? It isn't that hard to find on the Thai immigration site. It makes NO, none, nada, zip, zero exceptions for YOU to fill out and report. If enforced Kingdom wide, and yes I know all about "if's" you will have to do. Try rubbing 2 brain cells together and see if that works.

Can one of the Thai Visa representatives present at this meeting tell us whether or not they voiced the concerns of the expat community? Did they stand up and say "this is antiquated and ridiculous, and for those without the driver's license, carrying a passport at all times is far too risky"?

Is the verification of a copy free?  

The Immigration Act was last changed in 1979. I reckon they still used ox carts to go around and didn't move like people do after the invention of low-cost airlines. They ought to scrap the Section 37 and replace it with something more modern.

Something you have to keep in mind here -- the "law" is not restricted to statutes passed by parliament. Most statutes require further clarification, usually rules and regulations that tell officials what they are supposed to do to implement the law. These regulations are considered to have the force of law. For example, for many years after 1976 there was a "law" that a Thai woman married to a foreigner could not buy land. When that was finally changed in the early '90s (was it the Chavalit government?) it turned out that it was a ministerial regulation imposed by one of the Revolutionary Councils. I think the Kraivichien government, but don't remember for sure.

Anyway, I don't think this is going to be enforced for long. I've been surprised that the 90-day notification was maintained. It wasn't enforced for many years after it was introduced.

Could someone please explain these terms from the OP ?

1- "moving in to a new address" (ThaiVisa words)

2- "change of residence" (Hua Hin document words)

3- "temporary entry permit" (as only aliens with such "permit" must report)

- For me when I travel to see a friend 3 or 4 days, I have a "change of address" but not " a change of residence"

- Are owners of Tourist Visa or non-Imm Visa concerned? (temporary permit?)

1. This appears to refer to section 38 of the immigration Act and form TM.30 applies.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , 
or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in 
the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration 
Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 
hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration 
Office located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.
 In case the house , dwelling place , or hotel where the alien has 
stayed under provision of Para.1 is located within the Bangkok area , such 
notification must be reported to the competent official at the Immigration 
Division.
 Making notification , in reference to the Para 1 and 2 of this Section , 
must comply with regulations prescribed by the Director General.

2. I cannot find the text "change of residence" in the document Prachuabkhirikhan Immigration Notice attached to the OP, but there is the text "change in residence" in the quoted English translation of section 37, clause 3 of the Immigration Act, Form TM.28 applies.

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom 
must comply with the following :

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such 
alien resides, within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of 
change in residence in which new residence is not located the same area with the 
former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the police 
station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

3. I see this as a reference to "the alien , who entered to stay temporarily in the Kingdom under Section 35, to remain in the Kingdom under any prescribed conditions". This includes every foreigner who does not have a Certificate of Residence, ie who is not a Permanent Resident, as per Chapter 5 of the Immigration Act. Therefore, foreigners with a "temporary entry permit" are all foreigners who have a permission to stay for a limited period, which includes all who arrive visa-exempt, with a visa of any kind other than an immigrant visa, or with a re-entry permit based on a permission to stay for a limited period.

Are owners of Tourist Visa or non-Imm Visa concerned? The OP says they are, with the text "There is also another reporting obligation, and this applies when a foreigner visits another province and stays for more than 48 hours. In that case the reporting of the new address must be provided to the police, or the immigration, within 48 hours."  This is a clear reference to Section 37, clause 4 of the Immigration Act, but erroneously mentions a stay of more than 48 hours instead of 24 hours as shown in the law.

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom 

must comply with the following : 
4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than 
twenty – four hours , such alien must notify the police official of the police station 
for that area within forty – eight hours from the time of arrival.

However, section 37 also says the following:

The provision of ( 3 ) and ( 4 ) shall not apply to any cases under 
Section 34 by any conditions as prescribed by the Director General.

It was good of the Hua Hin immigration official to give the participants in the meeting a document quoting the text of sections 37 and 38 of the Immigration Act, but unfortunately this document does not also include the text of the the above-mentioned "conditions as prescribed by the Director General", whom the Act defines as the Director General of the Police Department.

Edited by Maestro
  • Like 2

Great. They're starting to enforce the laws written before the dawn of ages. And those rules are actually in the act, so they're not going anywhere soon. Enjoy filling a form every day, oh happiness. 

You might consider that Thais, the occupants of the country which you have chosen to call 'home', have to carry their cards all the time.

If they have one.

Jonnie99, yeah but Thais or Thai looking people almost never have to produce any ID to prove they are Thai when entering a national park, museum, wat or other tourist attraction where dual pricing is in place. Racial profiling is used to determine who is Thai and who isn't, which makes begs the question as to why IDs aren't requested? Of course doing away with the whole dual pricing crap would be best, but in the meantime, to make themselves look a little less racist, the least that could be done is that all those seeking to enter the Grand Palace, national parks etc. are required to show a Thai ID, not just the farang who claims to be Thai or has to show a Thai D/L but ALL Thais. That way those that aren't supposed to enter for free or the reduced price can't get in under those privileges i.e. no Thai ID no free or reduced fee entry (there are now millions of Asian tourists who visit Thailand/ Asian expats here too, and they are foreigners as well, and should be treated as such and not only when they arrive alone, in tour groups and/or can't speak Thai if spotted). That way Thailand would start to look a little less racist. I mean imagine if one started scrutinizing all Asians or Middle Eastern people in Australia or the States, assuming they can't be locals because they don't "look" local and then charging them extra. There would be outrage. Right? No more racist double standards I'd say. We're living in a globalized world and Thailand has to step onto the bandwagon, like it or not. China did, Vietnam more or less did too (when they largely eliminated dual pricing), so why not middle income Thailand?

Anyway, I digress - but if ID cards are really required to be carried, Thais should also be made to show them in such instances and many others.

• Like 1

I think if they really want to enforce this for tourists they need to make it easy when they enter the country so offer some sort of copy as they pass through immigration. Otherwise there will be tonnes of tourists walking around breaking the rules.

Doesn't this specify 'HUA HIN' for now. No talk about any other areas presently. If outside, carry copy of passport details on credit card size I.D. as stated obtainable at any print shops.

reporting every 48 hours away from home is ridiculous... so now we aren't able to go anywhere!!

The hotel does this - not you !

Many long term expats I know stay with (Thai) family, not in hotels, especially at Songkran and other holidays. 

THE ONLY THING that worries me about this article is why Thaivisa.com was invited to this gathering.

I hope it was only to report the outcome.

I have not authorised Thaivisa.com to make any submissions to Thai immigration on my behalf.

And I certainly have not authorised Thaivisa.com to arbitrate with Thai immigration regarding any rights I may currently have, or not have, pursuant to Thai Immigration law.

• Like 1

I carry my Australian Drivers Licence - based on what I've seen on the roads here, it shouldnt be too hard to get a Thai Drivers Licence, I assume I can pick one up at Big C for 2K baht or so ?

I hear it's pretty easy in Thailand to get a DL. Not as easy as in some parts of Cambodia. I hear the test consited of this:

Examiner: Fill in this form. Name, passport number etc.

Pupil: Ok. Done.

Examiner: Ready for test?

Pupil: Yep.

Examiner: Ok (points to his left). What's that?

Pupil: Ermm...a car?

Examiner: Correct! You passed! 50 dollar please!

As a farang with a Thai wife and a house in Surin only visiting for a couple of weeks this will be a logistical nightmare, i will not be going over to Thailand anymore, draconian laws what a joke.

A  Holiday is not reporting to police and immigration when sightseeing.

Ok did I miss something in the reporting documentation.. it says the HOST! must file the form within 24 hours, not the tourist.

Yes you missed the entire section 37 of the immigration act Where it says as well as the host "the alien must..." 

See page 2 of the Hua Hin printout for a recap. 

I drove round Thailand in my  mobile home, where and how  often do I report????

Every 24 hours would do it :-) Just drive from police station to police station. Great holiday :-)

There's dozens of small guest houses, e.g. one room in a house  type thing!  in Phrachaup no doubt they report every occupant, every day! ... hmm I fear not , going to piss some Thais off as well 

THE ONLY THING that worries me about this article is why Thaivisa.com was invited to this gathering.

I hope it was only to report the outcome.

I have not authorised Thaivisa.com to make any submissions to Thai immigration on my behalf.

And I certainly have not authorised Thaivisa.com to arbitrate with Thai immigration regarding any rights I may currently have, or not have, pursuant to Thai Immigration law.

Making submissions on your behalf ? blink.png

• Like 2