Car parking spaces in Pattaya City

Asiantravel

With car dealers continually pushing for increasing car ownership ( e. g. cars for sale regularly on display in shopping centres ) I keep wondering at what point does the ability of Pattaya city reach saturation point as far as its ability to accommodate all the parked vehicles?

I wonder if anyone in the government departments is even thinking about this matter (it certainly doesn't seem like it to me) which would be called traffic planning? If that's the case, how will Pattaya city government deal with this when suddenly at some point an increasing number of vehicle owners won't be able to find a space.

I seem to notice car owners experiencing more and more difficulty finding parking spots and even in the underground car parks under the shopping centres at times they become so full that cars have to be parked in the some of the exit lanes. One exampleof this is Royal Garden Plaza on the weekend.

Edited by Asiantravel

I can normally find a space in the temple grounds at the corner of 2nd Road and Pattaya South. Although that tends to be during the week. The weekend may be a different matter.

The new parking space indication system in place at Central Mall is useful and, yes, Royal Garden does get busy at times. Suppose the best option is to plan your visit for off peak hours, if at all possible

It have been a problem for several years now and it's not getting better.

As a truck owner myself I avoid going downtown in it unless going shopping/heavy raining. I take the scooter and even on that it can be a problem parking sometimes.

In the weekend it seems like all the car/truck owners goes on trips in them and many ends up in Pattaya.

We sometimes park on the huge empty plot on the north end of beach road/2nd road, 20 baht. That plot of land must be worth a huge amount of money so only a matter of time before something is build on it. We also sometimes park on hotels parking spaces on 2nd road, another 20 bath.

It is a problem all over the world man, I wonder how it looks like in 10 years time?

• Like 1

I can normally find a space in the temple grounds at the corner of 2nd Road and Pattaya South. Although that tends to be during the week. The weekend may be a different matter.

The new parking space indication system in place at Central Mall is useful and, yes, Royal Garden does get busy at times. Suppose the best option is to plan your visit for off peak hours, if at all possible

I was not aware rthat the public could park at the temple grounds (is this the temple on the left hand side when you turn right off 2nd Road on to Pattaya South).? Do you know if you can park at night (ie. until 1:00 or 2:00 am). Thanks

I was not aware rthat the public could park at the temple grounds (is this the temple on the left hand side when you turn right off 2nd Road on to Pattaya South).? Do you know if you can park at night (ie. until 1:00 or 2:00 am). Thanks

Same temple and you can park 24 hours in the multistory

Same temple and you can park 24 hours in the multistory

where is this? I only park in central festival, but would love a few more options.

• 2 weeks later...

Planning Gain...

Prevent any more development without substantial car parking.

My home town in UK was Bath, and like many cities, it was almost impossible to park in the town centre at weekends, so eventually they introduced 'park and ride' systems, this was in the form of a huge parking lot on the city border, with free shuttle buses servicing it for transportation into the city.

Theres a new hi tech carpark at bali hai pier, dont think its had a car parked in it yet though.

One of my employees is married into the mob that owns Bali Hai, and they are in trouble with the very real possibility that they will have to pull it all down (Mixx night club building will be the first to go). I'm going to ask him today what the score is with that car park as I suspect it has something to do with them.*** (a defamatory statement deleted)

Edited by petercool
defamatory reference
  • Like 1

^ No.

Right - here's the scoop. Cost 700 million baht to build. 20% of that figure went to a certain person because thats how things work here. The car park itself does not work and even when it does occasionally work it is so slow the general consensus is that people will not wait that long for their car to be returned (assuming it is) and will not use it twice. The projected price per hour to recoup the amount invested before it becomes obsolete is horrendous if it worked at full capacity 18 hours a day. Which it can not, because it does not work properly and needs more money to make it work. So, despite that it is being investigated, Pattaya City are now desperately trying to find some gullible idiot to rent it from them but the rates they are looking for (to recoup the 700m baht in 10 years) being a shade over 7m a month (they want a profit as well of course) is not finding any punters who are stupid enough to take it on. Do the sums. 407 car parking spaces to pay 84,000,0000 in yearly rent. It means that each parking bay has to make 565 baht every day just to pay the rent before any other costs are involved based upon 100% capacity 24/7 365 days a year.

Therefore, the future for the car park solution is now cast. It will either be pulled down citing building regulations violations meaning that its a win win for *************** the people who built the substandard car park in the first place because they got their money, or they will simply let it collapse into the ground, clear it away when no one is looking, build another car park and the merry go round starts again. Meanwhile, 500m baht is lost to the people of Pattaya.

Such is Thai Life.

Edited by petercool
defamatory reference removed
  • Like 1

// with the very real possibility that they will have to pull it all down(Mixx night club building will be the first to go). //

What are you talking about ? Why would they have to destroy Mixx building ?

I heard something about encroachment on the water canal area on the back of the building,

but it's just about secondary buildings that may have to be "cut" a little bit wink.png

Because dear chap, it is one of the buildings that is part of Bali Hai Plaza that is built on rented land that the actual owner of it.... does not own. It is public land that has been misappropriated basically. The owner of Mixx etc allegedly did not know the person they rented the land from did not own it and are trying for a 10 yr extension to avoid pulling it down. However, it might go.

By now I would have thought they would have started charging for the right to park vehicles on the street. Pattaya City is missing out on a fair amount of potential revenue.

Let's see parking meters, pay-and-display and traffic wardens.rolleyes.gif

By now I would have thought they would have started charging for the right to park vehicles on the street. Pattaya City is missing out on a fair amount of potential revenue.

Let's see parking meters, pay-and-display and traffic wardens.rolleyes.gif

Traffic wardens!!

Even in my country they sometimes risking getting a bloody nose so if they get them here they better gear up with bullet prof wests and the whole 9 yards.