Prayut not in a hurry to head abroad

Lite Beer

A true dictatorship would most likely shutdown this forum and jail those who criticize their regime, such as the above. Dictator? It's easy to put a label on something, but sometimes difficult to support the thought.

Perhaps you haven't noticed but there has been a massive curtailment of freedom of expression throughout the country and quite a few people have been detained, and some charged and punished, exactly for criticizing the regime. The fact that the heads of dissenters are not mounted on pikes at the city gates does not change the truth of this.

............"Perhaps you haven't noticed but there has been a massive curtailment of freedom of expression throughout the country and quite a few people have been detained"................

Perhaps you have not noticed that a lot of those people detained were criminal scumbags who should be locked up for many years, if they are lucky, and that a lot of wrongs have been righted since the Military stepped in to sort the mess out. Or have you been too busy composing anti-junta propaganda to notice what has been going on in the real world ?

......................"The fact that the heads of dissenters are not mounted on pikes at the city gates does not change the truth of this."........................

Interesting thought, that. For some reason I imagined the scene from one of the Game of Thrones episodes where there were heads on pikes, and I pictured the anti-junta keyboard warriors up there. Not that I know what they look like, I just imagined trolls' heads. cheesy.gif

He will certainly be able to visit ASEAN countries given the principle of non interference in each others affairs.China is also a possibility though I suspect Beijing is much too canny to place to much money on this nag.Perhapd there are some third world dumps that would be prepared to receive him.

Elsewhere he will get the cold shoulder.Someone should tell him that not being in a hurry to travel abroad is not really that problematic if invitations are not received.

I doubt if he will be the "frequent flyer" Yingluck was, but then again he has much to do at home repairing the damage done in the last 3 years. Very hard to steer the ship when you are tripping around the world with a huge entourage and an abundance of suitcases just waiting to be filled with booty, paid for by the taxpayer, of course.

It would take a certain amount of intelligence and insight to work that out. Doubt if Yingluck or too many of her "followers" would qualify. biggrin.png

And I doubt if the General would be too concerned about all the anti-junta comments found on forums. He is much smarter than that. thumbsup.gif

Strange that the little band of quislings in their nauseating "Napoleon is always right" chants ( the General is too smart for that!) are strangely reminiscent of the extreme Thaksin devotees in their oily enthusiasm.

In a year's time even they will be embarrassed by their current posterior worship.

• Like 2

America and Europe are actually scared of Thailand falling into the arms of China. It's Europe and America's job to visit the junta with gifts, just to try and stop Thailand moving towards China. There's no need for the general to go to America and Europe.

As for Burma, Cambodia,Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia and most of the other ASEAN countries, I think they need Thailand more than Thailand needs them. Why go to their countries when THEY can turn up in Bangkok and pay homage instead ?

Even Singapore, the size of the little country, does Thailand need to bow down and pay homage to little Singapore, bearing in mind that Malaysia can "switch off" Singapore whenever it feels like it ? Thailand after all, doesn't need to pay homage to Malaysia.

America and Europe are actually scared of Thailand falling into the arms of China. It's Europe and America's job to visit the junta with gifts, just to try and stop Thailand moving towards China. There's no need for the general to go to America and Europe.

As for Burma, Cambodia,Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia and most of the other ASEAN countries, I think they need Thailand more than Thailand needs them. Why go to their countries when THEY can turn up in Bangkok and pay homage instead ?

Even Singapore, the size of the little country, does Thailand need to bow down and pay homage to little Singapore, bearing in mind that Malaysia can "switch off" Singapore whenever it feels like it ? Thailand after all, doesn't need to pay homage to Malaysia.

Poor analysis.Thailand has no enemies and retains a substantial amount of goodwill.It is also not particularly central to the interests of the great powers - China,US in particular.The theory that the Junta has some kind of leverage because of regional rivalry between these powers is mistaken.

China in particular will be friendly towards any Thai administration but it is a relationship based on self interest.Broadly speaking the US is in the same position but Thailand would be mistaken to think one can be played off against the other.Both of these regional powers prefer to deal with governments that are legitimate.

Your comments on ASEAN relationships are foolish particularly the suggestion that these countries will pay court to Thailand or indeed have any particular deference at all.

Essentially Thailand is in a diplomatic bind of its own making.Thailand does need good relationships with the outside world.These will not achieved by the Junta.The best that can be hoped for is minimal damage now and an early return to an elected democracy.

He's certainly in no rush to go to Australia because they won't let him in.

Was it just Australia that banned visits by the Thai military ? I thought the USA also banned them from official visits to the States ?

No, several went this week to the USA.

Only Australia has barred entry and concurrent barring of vegemite purchases.

Poor analysis.Thailand has no enemies and retains a substantial amount of goodwill.It is also not particularly central to the interests of the great powers - China,US in particular.The theory that the Junta has some kind of leverage because of regional rivalry between these powers is mistaken.

China in particular will be friendly towards any Thai administration but it is a relationship based on self interest.Broadly speaking the US is in the same position but Thailand would be mistaken to think one can be played off against the other.Both of these regional powers prefer to deal with governments that are legitimate.

Your comments on ASEAN relationships are foolish particularly the suggestion that these countries will pay court to Thailand or indeed have any particular deference at all.

Essentially Thailand is in a diplomatic bind of its own making.Thailand does need good relationships with the outside world.These will not achieved by the Junta.The best that can be hoped for is minimal damage now and an early return to an elected democracy.

Jayboy

You say that Thailand is not of great interest to China and America ? I beg to differ ! The percentage of tourists coming to Thailand who are from China will increase as time goes by, and China is certainly looking to set up investments in Thailand. Yes, China is only interested in making a profit for itself, but that's the same as any other country. As for America, I really do think that America is obssesed with reigning in the Chinese giant, America wants to reduce China's influence in Thailand.

America also wants a military presence in the area, and Thailand is their only option in mainland South-East Asia. Burma and Cambodia don't want a US military presence, Laos still remembers the mass bombings during the Vietnam war, and Vietnam, well, they fought a war to NOT have American soldiers on Vietnamese soil. So America's desire to reign in China and to have a military presence in Thailand will mean that Washington needs Thailand.

I was only trying to say that Cambodia and Laos are not actually big deal countries. Burma ? Does Thailand need Burma more than Burma needs Thailand ? Surely not. A club involving Laos, Burma and Cambodia needs to have Thailand in it as well. Obviously, them three neighbouring countries will be hampered in their trade with each other if Thailand does not play ball with them. Thailand is, literally, in the middle of the area.

Does the junta really need to turn up in Singapore ? I think that the percentage of tourists in Thailand who are from Singapore is not that great, and it's not as if Singapore's trade and economy is anywhere near as big as China.

Yes, the USA has to make it look like it is trying to spread freedom and democracy to the rest of the world. The US government has to give this impression in order to justify it's foreign policy to the American people, America is, a democracy. But in reality, we all know that Washington has not got a problem with dealing with non-democratic governments !

Jayboy

You say that Thailand is not of great interest to China and America ? I beg to differ ! The percentage of tourists coming to Thailand who are from China will increase as time goes by, and China is certainly looking to set up investments in Thailand. Yes, China is only interested in making a profit for itself, but that's the same as any other country. As for America, I really do think that America is obssesed with reigning in the Chinese giant, America wants to reduce China's influence in Thailand.

America also wants a military presence in the area, and Thailand is their only option in mainland South-East Asia. Burma and Cambodia don't want a US military presence, Laos still remembers the mass bombings during the Vietnam war, and Vietnam, well, they fought a war to NOT have American soldiers on Vietnamese soil. So America's desire to reign in China and to have a military presence in Thailand will mean that Washington needs Thailand.

I was only trying to say that Cambodia and Laos are not actually big deal countries. Burma ? Does Thailand need Burma more than Burma needs Thailand ? Surely not. A club involving Laos, Burma and Cambodia needs to have Thailand in it as well. Obviously, them three neighbouring countries will be hampered in their trade with each other if Thailand does not play ball with them. Thailand is, literally, in the middle of the area.

Does the junta really need to turn up in Singapore ? I think that the percentage of tourists in Thailand who are from Singapore is not that great, and it's not as if Singapore's trade and economy is anywhere near as big as China.

Yes, the USA has to make it look like it is trying to spread freedom and democracy to the rest of the world. The US government has to give this impression in order to justify it's foreign policy to the American people, America is, a democracy. But in reality, we all know that Washington has not got a problem with dealing with non-democratic governments !

1. I do not argue Thailand is not of interest to the great powers.I argue that the Junta would be ill advised to seek much leverage from this fact.Having said that Thailand is not a greatly significant country in the strategic sense.It's no longer an American vassal state and has a degree of independence from Chinese influence.This is unlikely to change very much whatever type of regime is in power in Bangkok.

2.You underestimate the extent to which many ASEAN countries are alarmed at the prospect of Chinese hegemony.Vietnam for example despite the war is far more suspicious of China than the U.S.Indonesia and Philippines are also keen to preserve American influence in the region.

3.The US ( and in fact all major developed countries) regard Thailand as being in the democratic camp.So do the Thais including the Junta.It's not really relevant to compare Thailand with Saudi Arabia or China which have never been democratic.