Poll reveals leading economists have confidence in PM’s economic team

Lite Beer

Poll reveals leading economists have confidence in PM’s economic team

9-27-2014-1-46-12-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

Bangkok Poll revealed its latest survey showing more than half of leading economists have confidence in the high capable economic team of Prime Minister Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha.

Bangkok Poll, the research arm of Bangkok University, conducted the opinion poll from Sept 11 to 22 on confidence in the economic team of the new government and the viability of its economic policies.

It interviewed 64 economists at 27 leading organizations and found most respondents were confident of the capabilities of the economic team of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.

The poll found that 51.3% of the surveyed economists had confidence in the knowledge and capabilities of the team, 19.2% were not quite confident, 3.3% had no confidence and 26.2% were uncertain.

However when they were asked about their confidence on an individual basis of the cabinet ministers, 73.4% voiced confidence for Gen Prayuth.

Among the economic ministers, the top three ministers winning the highest confidence were Deputy Prime Minister MR Pridiyathorn Devakula (76.6%), Energy Minister Narongchai Akrasanee (65.6%) and Finance Minister Sommai Phasee (62.5%).

On the viability of overall economic policies, 44.9% of the economists said they did not believe they would work while 44.5% thought they could be successful.

The top three policies likely to be successful are transport development (78.1%), export promotion (54.7%) and expanded taxation (53.1%), the poll said.

But three policies they viewed won’t achieve or achieve the least success are agricultural zoning (62.5%), the improved efficiency, transparency and accountability of state enterprises (62.5%) and the enhancement of the capability of small and medium-sized enterprises (53.1%).

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/poll-reveals-leading-economists-confidence-pms-economic-team/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-27

Well knock me down with a feather..

Same.

As I'm frequently told by posters that polls are not to be believed as they only try to show a positive image of the NCPO, I'm really puzzled by this

"On the viability of overall economic policies, 44.9% of the economists said they did not believe they would work while 44.5% thought they could be successful."

Maybe the censor slipped, was watching nice broads in a karaoke clip, or so ?

Same.

As I'm frequently told by posters that polls are not to be believed as they only try to show a positive image of the NCPO, I'm really puzzled by this

"On the viability of overall economic policies, 44.9% of the economists said they did not believe they would work while 44.5% thought they could be successful."

Are you completely bereft of reasoning, or even reading?

However when they were asked about their confidence on an individual basis of the cabinet ministers, 73.4% voiced confidence for Gen Prayuth.

• Like 1

Same.

It was a Bangkok poll, however. No mention of anywhere else covered....... ; hence, interesting percentages....

I was all for him, but after his babooning comments over the last week or 3....... I think it's become clear that he is not as wise as people originally perceived. Either that, or he's shattered, and has had little sleep. Both are not excuses, however, because if one is up to the job then one organises time and time for precise decisions to be made. Thank God Thailand's not at war.... nobody would know who is who, or where they are, or what position of command they are in. .... simply, here's 2M Baht... now run for cover!

Same.

So, the 73,4% explains the 44.9% who don't believe it will work?

Maybe you should do some more reading, or are you bereft of reasoning ?

• Like 1

Same.

"Maybe the censor slipped, was watching nice broads in a karaoke clip, or so ?"

That comment probably reveals more about things that fill your mind then the minds of the imaginary censors.

• Like 1

Same.

It was a Bangkok poll, however. No mention of anywhere else covered....... ; hence, interesting percentages....

I was all for him, but after his babooning comments over the last week or 3....... I think it's become clear that he is not as wise as people originally perceived. Either that, or he's shattered, and has had little sleep. Both are not excuses, however, because if one is up to the job then one organises time and time for precise decisions to be made. Thank God Thailand's not at war.... nobody would know who is who, or where they are, or what position of command they are in. .... simply, here's 2M Baht... now run for cover!

re bangkok poll - that is the name of the group polling, not the geographic region of the poll. It confused a couple of other threads already.

you are correct, that the article does not mention numbers on the economists were which were polled

Why shouldn't the economists be confident when all the economic policies were known and from the previous government. Even the better than previous year FDI was all done during the previous government and the government just need to stamp for approval. The only few bright spots that you credit the present government is that they approved the 2015 budget ( routine) and paid the farmers (obligation). Then there are still the downers like struggling tourist and poor agriculture prices. That they have to deal with before they deserve some accolade. Ok, I give them accolades for cleaning up the beaches and straighten up the motor taxi mafias.

I considerr one sound econmic program that wcould replenish government coffers is to press recovery of funds siphoned out of budgets meant to benifit the Thai general population'This was me4ntioned with the ordered recovery of funds from a deceased PM's estate. Expand this concept to those who have abscounded to otherb countries with vast funds and still left enougth here to fund their famlies lavish life style. Those oweing taxes, income, from illigally occupied land/properties those lifetme civil servents with 100's of millions in prooperty/bank accounts,, monks who fronted for money laundering, banks who assisted those moving ill gotten gains, etc.

These vast sums as well as siezure4 of all personal assits gained via illegal acts could fund and interject sums into the improvement of many of THailands woes and problems, Do not forget to breakup the monoplies set up by the good old boy agreements, and do away with inactive posts which would include 1000's who are not officially assigned to where ever this pud position is physically located. Be sure and include the RTP/BIB or whatever you want to call them as next to politicans one of Thailand greatest threats to honest normallcy.

Same.

If you could possibly post a comment that was not 100% nasty, rude, insulting and condescending, fellow TV posters may not treat you as a professional troll.

Obviously there is no forum rule regarding your "modus operandi" otherwise nearly all of your posts would be removed.

Red/PTP/Shin supporters claim these polls mean nothing, that they are not a true indication of the way people think.

If that is the case why do you guys comment on them ? Are you afraid of something ? Like the truth.....................................................

• Like 1

Same.

"Maybe the censor slipped, was watching nice broads in a karaoke clip, or so ?"

That comment probably reveals more about things that fill your mind then the minds of the imaginary censors.

Thailand's press freedom is now ranked lower than Burma's. I hardly think the censorship in this country is "imaginary".

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Same.

Can't disagree with that.....literally.

It's unhealthy to say otherwise

• Like 2

It would have taken allot less effort to guard the voting polls to ensure the last election was held without intimidation, than take over an entire country.

Anyone that has read the wikileaks knows the coup was a sham.

Interesting that you seem to have no problem with the Military guarding poll booths. Normally that's frowned upon as intimidating, undemocratic and so.

This is what the survey means to me:

Positve Prediction

Success in transport development (78.1%), export promotion (54.7%) and expanded taxation (53.1%). – can’t fail. The first two just require funding from the government. THERE ARE NO ECONOMICS INVOLVED. The last is a mere legislative action. THERE ARE NO ECONOMICS INVOLVED.

Nuetral Prediction (50/50) which is like a weather forecast for partly sunny with chance of rain.

Overall economic policies will work.

51% confidence in the knowledge and capabilities of Gen. Prayuth’s economic team (adding a survey error of 1% to avoid potential violation of martial law to criticize the NCPO)

Negative Prediction

Most likely to fail are agricultural zoning, the improved efficiency, transparency and accountability of state enterprises and the enhancement of the capability of small and medium-sized enterprises (53.1%). ECONOMICS ARE INVOLVED. These areas directly impact the national economy, are controlled directly by the government, and failure will only serve to further decrease the GDP growth rate for 2015.

Thailand’s GDP was at an all-time high in 2013 at about $387 billion USD with an average projected 4.5% growth rate of GDP for 2014. Thailand’s actual GDP growth rate for 2014 is 1.6%. This means that the anti-government demonstrations and military coup potentially cost Thailand about 3% of GDP or about $11.6 billion USD or B.360 billion ($1USD=B31). [since the government obligation for the rice pledge program applied to BOTH the Yingluck and Junta regimes, for comparison purposes it is cancels out].

I do not find this survey very encouraging to Thailand’s economic near-term future.

It would have taken allot less effort to guard the voting polls to ensure the last election was held without intimidation, than take over an entire country.

Anyone that has read the wikileaks knows the coup was a sham.

Interesting that you seem to have no problem with the Military guarding poll booths. Normally that's frowned upon as intimidating, undemocratic and so.

I would prefer international observers but when the yellow shirts vowed to disrupt the vote the army should have stepped in.