Pattaya immigration no longer does conversion to non-O visa

Two recent post by members show that the Pattaya immigration office in Jomtien no longer issues a non-O visa to applicants who entered Thailand visa-exempt or with a tourist visa as the first step to a one-year extension for qualified applicants (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/766985-all-retirement-visa-applications-must-now-be-made-outside-of-thailand/page-3?p=8512772#entry8512772 and http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/767359-how-to-get-retirement-visa-when-in-thailand-on-visa-exemption/?p=8514523#entry8514523). Instead, the applicants are asked to apply at the Bangkok immigration office.

Other members who were refused a conversion to non-O at the Pattaya immigration office since 01 OCT 2014 are kindly invited to report it in this topic, so that we may get a clearer picture of what is happening. This applies to applications for conversion made with the forms TM.86 and TM.87.

• Like 2

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if I understand correctly (please correct me if I am wrong)

If you go with a Tourist Visa, Visa Exempt to Jomtien Immigration to get a Extension on Retirement, you 1st have to go to Bangkok to do the conversion ? Correct ?

What is the paperwork needed to do this conversion ? I assume you need prove of the 800.000 THB in the Bank Account or the 65k a Month ?

Thanks

If you go with a Tourist Visa, Visa Exempt to Jomtien Immigration to get a Extension on Retirement, you 1st have to go to Bangkok to do the conversion ? Correct ?

What is the paperwork needed to do this conversion ? I assume you need prove of the 800.000 THB in the Bank Account or the 65k a Month ?

Thanks

You have to go Bangkok to do the conversion and then 45 days after that you can apply for the extension of stay at Jomtien.

If you use the 800k baht in the bank option it will require getting a letter from the bank confirming the funds came from abroad along with the one confirming the balance. Bangkok asks for this I am not sure Jomtien did.

Nothing different if you use the 65k baht income option.

Thanks UJ.

One more question, which documents do BKK Immigration require ?

Are those the TM 86 and TM 87 ? Anything else maybe.

It's not for me (still too young to get the Retirement Extension smile.png ) but for a friend from the U.s. of A.

If you use the 800k baht in the bank option it will require getting a letter from the bank confirming the funds came from abroad along with the one confirming the balance. Bangkok asks for this I am not sure Jomtien did.

What about for the combination (income + savings) method? Is a letter confirming the funds came from abroad required then, as well?

Also, if the funds are not "seasoned" 60 days yet at the time of application for the Non-Immigrant O visa, will it be denied? I would think that since you have an additional 60+ days on the Non-Immigrant O to let the funds "season," it would be okay. Or, no?

What about for the combination (income + savings) method? Is a letter confirming the funds came from abroad required then, as well?

Also, if the funds are not "seasoned" 60 days yet at the time of application for the Non-Immigrant O visa, will it be denied? I would think that since you have an additional 60+ days on the Non-Immigrant O to let the funds "season," it would be okay. Or, no?

They would probably want the letter proving the funds came from abroad for the combination method also.

The money only has to be in the bank on the date of application. There is no 60 day requirement for the conversion.

Well, that's ONE less fly in the ointment (no 60-day requirement for the conversion to the Non-Immigrant O.)

The letter confirming the funds came from abroad will be stickier. I consolidated three banks' accounts into one (Bangkok Bank), and Bangkok Bank cannot confirm where those deposits from the other two banks originated. I can provide the passbooks (and letters, if required) for the other two banks' accounts showing the money originated overseas, but this is really stretching the % odds that I'll get an officer that understands and accepts it.

I was planning to do the application at Jomtien where they did not ask for the origination of the funds, so combined the accounts just to make it simpler. Suddenly, now, it's not simpler.

• Like 2

I understand the 60 days seasoning of 800,000 baht in bank for the retirement extension... but when you apply for non-O (after entering on visa exempt) you also have to have 800,000 in a Thai bank (does not have to be seasoned) to receive the conversion from visa exempt to non-O?

Hi,

The conversion to a non-imm O from a 30 day visa exempt.......... is the O visa valid on the same day or will require a trip back to CW a couple of days later etc?

Also, I have the required funds (for retirement purposes) in a branch at Pattaya (used to work there years ago) . Would i need to return to the Pattaya branch of Kasikorn to obtain the required letter or could a local branch in Bangkok do this?

Thanks UJ.

It's not for me (still too young to get the Retirement Extension smile.png ) but for a friend from the U.s. of A.

The most important thing is that you must have at least 15 days remaining on your entry in Bangkok to apply.

If on a tourist visa a TM86 change of visa status form is used.

If on a visa exempt entry a TM87 non immigrant visa application form is used.

Nothing more than I mentioned already, passport and TM6 departure card copies,

no hotel booking,

no flight booking out of Th

no funds

no holiday plan- travell plan

sure ?

They would probably want the letter proving the funds came from abroad for the combination method also.

The money only has to be in the bank on the date of application. There is no 60 day requirement for the conversion.

thiss confuses me,

for the non imm O i need also the 800.000,- THB ?

Thanks UJ.

The most important thing is that you must have at least 15 days remaining on your entry in Bangkok to apply.

If on a tourist visa a TM86 change of visa status form is used.

If on a visa exempt entry a TM87 non immigrant visa application form is used.

Nothing more than I mentioned already, passport and TM6 departure card copies,

no hotel booking,

no flight booking out of Th

no funds

no holiday plan- travell plan

sure ?

Go back and read the post I wrote before the one you quoted. You need the money in the bank or proof of income to do the conversion.

Why would they want any of the other things you listed.

Which other provincial offices are still doing non-O conversions as far as we know?

There are several that can do them. But Bangkok is the only one that will do them if you are not a resident of their area of responsibility.

The ones that I can think of are Sri Racha, Hua Hin, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Hat Yai and perhaps Rayong.

This has really confused now, having been on an Non "B" + WP or Non "O" or Non "OA" and/or extensions for some 13 years now.

Why was I always under the impression that the Non "O" visa could only be issued from an off shore Consulate/Embassy? Unless I'm wrong I read this thread as saying the Non "O" can be obtained in Bangkok and some other offices.xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png

It is not really a true non-o visa like you would get at an embassy or consulate.

It is non immigrant visa only valid for the date it issued. Most of the time is only valid for as long as it takes the immigration officer to do the 90 day entry stamp. It is only issued based upon qualifying for an extension of stay. For retirement you have to provide the financial proof needed for the extension.

If you are over 50 and have the money in the bank can you get the non-o from a visa exempt even if you are not wanting the retirement extension?? i.e. you just want an easy to get 90 day visa? It's just 2000 baht.

This has really confused now, having been on an Non "B" + WP or Non "O" or Non "OA" and/or extensions for some 13 years now.

Why was I always under the impression that the Non "O" visa could only be issued from an off shore Consulate/Embassy? Unless I'm wrong I read this thread as saying the Non "O" can be obtained in Bangkok and some other offices.xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png

It is not really a true non-o visa like you would get at an embassy or consulate.

It is non immigrant visa only valid for the date it issued. Most of the time is only valid for as long as it takes the immigration officer to do the 90 day entry stamp. It is only issued based upon qualifying for an extension of stay. For retirement you have to provide the financial proof needed for the extension.

If you are over 50 and have the money in the bank can you get the non-o from a visa exempt even if you are not wanting the retirement extension?? i.e. you just want an easy to get 90 day visa? It's just 2000 baht.

You could if you had 800k baht in the bank or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the the 2 totaling 800k baht.

But it probably would only be done once if they notice you had done one before.

Let me pose this question to all...If I have all the required documents and have the monetary requirements of a visa exempt to non-o conversion and then get a retirement extension...do I really have to be retired? As in I still have my job in the Middle East and visit 4 times a year using a multi re-entry permit?

Let me pose this question to all...If I have all the required documents and have the monetary requirements of a visa exempt to non-o conversion and then get a retirement extension...do I really have to be retired? As in I still have my job in the Middle East and visit 4 times a year using a multi re-entry permit?

To do it in Thailand at an Immigration Office, you have to be 50+ (that's what they call Retirement Age here at Immigration ;)

Edited by MJCM

I am over 50 but not retired...my question is can I still get a retirement extension and not really be retired?

You do NOT need to be retired. But you can't legally work IN THAILAND.

They won't even ask you if you are working in Thailand or out of Thailand but if you are caught working in Thailand on a retirement extension and no work permit, that's bad news.

There is no legal problem with working outside of Thailand. They won't ask, no point in telling them either. It is irrelevant.

You preserve your extension to stay with REENTRY PERMITS.

Edited by Jingthing

no not retired, you would also need a multi entry re-entry permit,

I am over 50 but not retired...my question is can I still get a retirement extension and not really be retired?

Yes you can. There are many people already doing it that are working outside the country.

Dependent upon your embassy's policy for doing income letters you can even use your income from working to meet 65k baht income requirement.

• Like 2

Yes you can. There are many people already doing it that are working outside the country.

Dependent upon your embassy's policy for doing income letters you can even use your income from working to meet 65k baht income requirement.

That last point I hadn't thought of. Indeed, not only do you not need to hide working outside of Thailand, it can be useful to you to get retirement extensions. Great.

Which other provincial offices are still doing non-O conversions as far as we know?

There are several that can do them. But Bangkok is the only one that will do them if you are not a resident of their area of responsibility.

The ones that I can think of are Sri Racha, Hua Hin, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Hat Yai and perhaps Rayong.

Thanks, Joe, rather more than the 3 I had imagined - Samui (who aren't in your list), Phuket & Chiang Mai. And possibly including mine (Rayong)!smile.png

Thanks

You have to go Bangkok to do the conversion and then 45 days after that you can apply for the extension of stay at Jomtien.

"Nothing different if you use the 65k baht income option."

Although it's possible you would need two income affidavits from your embassy. When you do the conversion they might accept a photocopy, but if they want an original, you'll also need an original for the extension.

+Phitsanulok.

Thanks, Joe, rather more than the 3 I had imagined - Samui (who aren't in your list), Phuket & Chiang Mai. And possibly including mine (Rayong)!smile.png

Kap Choeng Immigration can be added to that list.