Stoping after the line on red lights law..

mataleo

Hi. Now i saw police fine farangs who stop just over the line on red light.

They got banners with few things they will fine u.

Im just wonder. Is there a law that allow them to give u fine for that?

I saw today they pulled guy who just went over the line with 1 wheel...

Is there a law?

And my 2nd question is. Is there a actual law that require you to wear helmet?

I ask cuz i saw on other site ppl say its police helmet scam? Just wonder what they mean?

Thx

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the police have new instructions i guess. Today i saw them with a portable weighing platform stopping all big trucks and weigh them.

Also i saw a policeman on a motorbike (without mirrors) and he horned against all the against traffic drivers also against all cars who just drive onto the highway without stopping for him. I liked it so i followed him for a while but then i noticed a policecar right next to me who was following him.

They were clearly on a mission which is great clap2.gif . How can we keep left if we get almost killed all the time?

But i guess a helmet is obligatory (come on) and one wheel over the line is over the line so better not do it. I have never read Thai law though and it seems none of the Thai drivers has ever read them.

I drive like grandma now, i almost stopped at the weighing point of the police because i didn't understand his handsignals and then he yelled "vely good" to me but i had to leave.

What difference does it make? Wear a helmet and don't stop over the line and that's at least two things you should not get fined for - easy really....whistling.gif

For what its worth I remember reading about people being fined for stopping over the white stop line at traffic lights over 3 years ago on another forum.

• Like 2

What difference does it make? Wear a helmet and don't stop over the line and that's at least two things you should not get fined for - easy really....whistling.gif

For what its worth I remember reading about people being fined for stopping over the white stop line at traffic lights over 3 years ago on another forum.

Difference is if there is no law means u dont break any law and should not be fined.

That line thing. They just stand there looking for ppl who go bit over and then run after them..

In UK or Poland if there is no law u can laugh at cops...

Difference is if there is no law means u dont break any law and should not be fined.

That line thing. They just stand there looking for ppl who go bit over and then run after them..

In UK or Poland if there is no law u can laugh at cops...

I could state the obvious regarding your last sentence but I fear it would be a lost cause...... coffee1.gif

Pretty much another one of those common sense OP's. If they are ticketing for the offense and they are the country's police force pretty much you can deduce that is the LAW since you're not a citizen but you having to ask is enough of a distressing thought since you should know the laws ( at least traffic) if you;re driving in the first place it's your obligation to understand them, I doubt it is much different from your home country, I know it wasn't from mine, just far more lax. Add to that the fact that most other countries also have such a law but it is not widely enforced one can also deduce it to be the same in Thailand until crack down ensues, as well what other purpose would there be for the white line just as in most modern countries? Driving laws are pretty much uniform Internationally with few exceptions thus they can issue IDP's, it's why certain countries accept them and some don't, not much variation.

At many stoplights all motorbikes go to the front and wait there together for the green light.So are we still allowed to that? I don't even know if there is a line at all, i just do as the other bikers do.

I'm also confused about the Thai rules, there are even red lights when i stop there the cars horn to me and all drive through them.facepalm.gif

Here in Thailand we have to drive left as far as possible. If i would do that in our moobaan i would get beheaded because there is a rope hanging from a banner above the road with Loy Krathong advertisings.wai2.gif I still wonder who's fault it is if i get beheaded that way. Who will be responsible? The property developer?

Also i wonder what is called a helmet in thailand. I sometimes see Thai drivers with a german warhelmet made of steelbiggrin.png or dogs on the motorbikes (even Saint Bernard on the highway on a scooter biggrin.png ). I also drive around with a dog sometimes but now with the junta in control i better not do that i guess. Although it is still worth 1000 baht to me.

At many stoplights all motorbikes go to the front and wait there together for the green light.So are we still allowed to that? I don't even know if there is a line at all, i just do as the other bikers do.

<snip>

In many places there are 2 lines: one for cars, and further to the front one for bikes.

So in many places cars are supposed to wait behind the motorbikes.

Those Bikers are a pest ,they get in front of You then dither about, blocking your acceleration from the lights

Yep! I sure hope they're cracking down on that nonsense, it's a real PITA when traveling downtown especially, and only a few cars get through each light because of it and that contributes very heavily to the traffic problem downtown.

<snip>

In many places there are 2 lines: one for cars, and further to the front one for bikes.

So in many places cars are supposed to wait behind the motorbikes.

And if that's true it's pure idiocy on behalf of the Thai officials to do such a thing. Oh! We're talking about Thailand aren't we? TiT

in the uk it is an offence to fail to stop at the white line( when the lights tell you to stop be it amber or red), it could be the same here

Thing is here they come up with this new "laws" day by day.

Its recent "law"

Normaly its gov. senat who issue laws. and thats what i wonder who issued that law here. If its police instruction its not a law really is it...

Pretty much another one of those common sense OP's. If they are ticketing for the offense and they are the country's police force pretty much you can deduce that is the LAW since you're not a citizen but you having to ask is enough of a distressing thought since you should know the laws ( at least traffic) if you;re driving in the first place it's your obligation to understand them, I doubt it is much different from your home country, I know it wasn't from mine, just far more lax. Add to that the fact that most other countries also have such a law but it is not widely enforced one can also deduce it to be the same in Thailand until crack down ensues, as well what other purpose would there be for the white line just as in most modern countries? Driving laws are pretty much uniform Internationally with few exceptions thus they can issue IDP's, it's why certain countries accept them and some don't, not much variation.

Well they ticketing ppl who drive on G8 licences, and say no IDP, which is not required.

Go to my kther thread i opened about it.

Its not required !! They got treaty.

UK USA etc.

Look http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/driving-licences/

I met guy who was fined by farang cop in pattaya, he argued but get ticket, then he went pay for it with Geneva treaty printed out, they canceled the ticket :)

Edited by mataleo

Sat at the lights yesterday , cars and bikes waaaay over the line and one policeman in the middle of them on his m/ cycle , see police on the phone while riding m/cycle , police no helmets while riding m/cycle.

Then the following day they are pulling people over for he same offences. Let's face it , it's all a joke.

Those Bikers are a pest ,they get in front of You then dither about, blocking your acceleration from the lights

cheesy.gif Cars are almost always slower as bikes at the lights. Actually they should ban cars with one person in it. Make them ride bikes. Would improve the traffic flow a lot.

I have never ever had a car (even on my scooter) accelerate faster as me from the lights. The times i watch it the bikes are always gone before the cars. Sure we wait a little bit after it turned green but that is because there are so many idiot car drivers that run red lights. (far more dangerous then a bike lingering a bit at the green light)

in the uk it is an offence to fail to stop at the white line( when the lights tell you to stop be it amber or red), it could be the same here

Thing is here they come up with this new "laws" day by day.

Its recent "law"

Normaly its gov. senat who issue laws. and thats what i wonder who issued that law here. If its police instruction its not a law really is it...

You must be new here. We were all new once.

There was a massive campaign with tons of fines for this in 2001-02. They put up huge posters, "The stop behind the line campaign" Police went bonkers fining anyone over the line. They created those boxes at the front of the cars for motorbikes.

And then the campaign was over, apathy set in and gradually everyone went back to encroaching into the junction.

It is not a recent law, just a cycle that repeats itself.

I think those 2 cases, red light and helmet for motorbike drivers have been in the law for a considerable amount of time. Not just in Thailand but in most countries, so it is common sense.

The part that is special about Thailand is that the police receives 50% of the ticket fines as compensation and have specific targets for each month.

best to follow the rules snd if you get caught for something, pay the fine and move on.

cheesy.gif Cars are almost always slower as bikes at the lights. Actually they should ban cars with one person in it. Make them ride bikes. Would improve the traffic flow a lot.

I have never ever had a car (even on my scooter) accelerate faster as me from the lights. The times i watch it the bikes are always gone before the cars. Sure we wait a little bit after it turned green but that is because there are so many idiot car drivers that run red lights. (far more dangerous then a bike lingering a bit at the green light)

Except that a 2 stroke scooter puts out about twice the emissions as a modern car does. Your post is a complete contradiction as well.. Cars have to be slower to avoid the scooters and because unlike the scooters they can't all run up between and around the cars. Running red lights is necessary to get ANY cars through the intersection that's all blocked up with scooters.

• Like 1

I admit to driving over the line when downtown to prevent the scooters from bunching up in front of me, it's really quite irritating and I don't like having my car surrounded by scooters who bang your mirrors, scratch or dent your car and then take off between cars so you can never catch them. I even had one dipshit use my back bumper once to prop himself up while he waited for the light to change. I have to tolerate that? No way, I put the car in reverse and rolled back so he had to put his foot down to catch his balance again.. Jackass....

• Like 1

I admit to driving over the line when downtown to prevent the scooters from bunching up in front of me, it's really quite irritating and I don't like having my car surrounded by scooters who bang your mirrors, scratch or dent your car and then take off between cars so you can never catch them. I even had one dipshit use my back bumper once to prop himself up while he waited for the light to change. I have to tolerate that? No way, I put the car in reverse and rolled back so he had to put his foot down to catch his balance again.. Jackass....

While we speak of road have look on Sharky fb theres some bad story.

I think link not allowed

Edited by mataleo