China to punish noodle water-throwing tourists gone wild

webfact

It would have been so simple to find a single passenger and ask them to trade seats. I understand them. First trip. They probably checked in together and some nasty girl having a bad day split them up.

This is not the first time there have been problems. Airline staff are supposed to be well trained in defusing difficult situations. You can't turn the plane around everytime you have a problem. The staff who did not do their job properly should be sacked immediately.

• Like 1

They should be really thankful that this not happened on an American airplane and in American airspace. Very good chance that they had been shot by an air marshal or arrested by homeland security.

Federal Air Marshals that fly on American Aircraft are equipped with SIG Sauer P229 chambered in .357 SIG. They are also equipped with batons and handcuffs. Seriously, there would be NO possibility these passengers would have been shot in the aircraft during the flight for their unruly behaviour, because they were not armed with any type of weapon. Subdued and cuffed, but not shot. Federal Air Marshals are all superb marksmen. Their training, when having to use deadly force as a last resort, is to shoot the offender in the largest part of the body (The chest) with a follow up shot to the head. However, that was not necessary in this incident. However, the group would have been apprehended by DHS to face charges and the likely result would have been to be extradited to China to face Justice there.

Making Bomb Threats and Released without charge!!!<deleted>!!! What if it was a different Nationality?

Well the Brits found an easy-out excuse for their drunken diplomat who had served in Thailand and got totally blotto on a flight from Thailand. What if he had been a different nationality?

A senior British diplomat who went berserk on a flight from Abu Dhabi to London was yesterday found not guilty of being drunk on an aircraft after saying his behaviour was caused by an antidepressant he was taking to deal with the stress of the Asian tsunami.

Colonel Peter Roberts MBE, the defence attache to Thailand, was said to have hurled a stream of abuse at crew and passengers on board an Etihad flight to Heathrow last February after drinking a cocktail of wine, whisky and port. At one point, referring to the ###### and the country's national religion, he shouted:###############

Col Roberts, 51, from Passfield, Hampshire, had to be restrained by five passengers and handcuffed with plastic ties. But after hearing that he had no recollection of his behaviour and was being treated for post-traumatic stress disorder after witnessing scenes after the tsunami in southern Thailand, the jury cleared him of the charges.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/jan/25/politics.foreignpolicy

Its funny, a good friend of mine who is Thai Chinese used to be a flight attendant. I Asked her who were the worst passengers she has ever encountered. She embarrassingly said - Chinese for sure! They are in a world of their own. Sadly if they are the new super powers the World is in for some serious hurt!

Making Bomb Threats and Released without charge!!!<deleted>!!! What if it was a different Nationality?

I'm confused. So the tourists forced the plane to come back to Thailand and then were released and deported the next day without charge? What is wrong with the Thai authorities? Don't they realise a crime has been committed? I applaud the Chinese authorities for vowing to punish these offenders, but why does China need to do Thailand's dirty work?

As far as Thailand is concerned, they committed a crime in Thailand because 1) the incident occurred on a Thai registered aircraft; 2) it occurred over Thai airspace and 3) the aircraft subsequently returned to Don Muang as a result.

So what does one actually have to do, in order for an incident like this to be considered a crime in Thailand?

besides the noodle the only charge that would (stick) is LM

punishment would be eating only AA food for a year

Edited by atyclb

Some Chinese people are so rude and have no manner. They think they own the world and show no respect for others.

Yes they do own the entire world. Why you think rest of the world wants their business.

Secondly thanks for generalizing. You could at least be more specific and say PRC.

I've found rude people from any number of countries except Canada so let's keep racism to a minimal.

Lets ''Re-phrase that ''Canada'' ''The Waltons''......

My guess is 'Thailand' didn't press charges against those ... because it considers the whole thing to be totally 'a matter of internal affairs', for the P.R. China. A bit like the CIA 'prisons' on Thai soil are considered by the present leadership to be a matter of internal affairs, for the U.S. of A. ... We should hear loud outcries from the Thai ultra-nationalist movements because of such obvious infringements on the Thai sovereignty, but it remains eery quiet on that side, maybe because they sense they should not for such principle 'futilities' perturbate the present evolution of their country towards a totalitarian regime they long hoped for?

Thailand did not press charges because the hostess accepted a monetary settlement. If the hostess refused, charges would have likely been laid. It is how the system works/does not work here in some cases. Money makes things go away.

• Like 1

This is the result of Thailand's utter failure to deal with the incident.

The bomb threats and and actions of the passengers irrespective of nationality should have resulted in manacles followed by convictions and a long term in a Thai jail.

Another huge black mark on the current administration to add to the mounting cock ups.

Good on you China for consequential punishment, I hope it is a major deterrent for future travellers.

My guess is 'Thailand' didn't press charges against those ... because it considers the whole thing to be totally 'a matter of internal affairs', for the P.R. China. A bit like the CIA 'prisons' on Thai soil are considered by the present leadership to be a matter of internal affairs, for the U.S. of A. ... We should hear loud outcries from the Thai ultra-nationalist movements because of such obvious infringements on the Thai sovereignty, but it remains eery quiet on that side, maybe because they sense they should not for such principle 'futilities' perturbate the present evolution of their country towards a totalitarian regime they long hoped for?

Thailand did not press charges because the hostess accepted a monetary settlement. If the hostess refused, charges would have likely been laid. It is how the system works/does not work here in some cases. Money makes things go away.
e

What was the compensation for the other passengers that were threatened with their flight being bombed?

Have you noticed that Chinese on a plane do not follow the rules. Planes taxing to the gate and way before it stops

the Chinese are up and trying to get their bags.

Its very dangerous should the plane have to come to an abrupt stop. And very loud When there is a confined space they seem to talk very loud

The Chinese government has the right approach to try and teach them some simple manners most of us abide by

I'm confused. So the tourists forced the plane to come back to Thailand and then were released and deported the next day without charge? What is wrong with the Thai authorities? Don't they realise a crime has been committed? I applaud the Chinese authorities for vowing to punish these offenders, but why does China need to do Thailand's dirty work?

As far as Thailand is concerned, they committed a crime in Thailand because 1) the incident occurred on a Thai registered aircraft; 2) it occurred over Thai airspace and 3) the aircraft subsequently returned to Don Muang as a result.

So what does one actually have to do, in order for an incident like this to be considered a crime in Thailand?

I think it's quite obvious, you have to actually have a bomb or blow up the plane. When it happens they can arrest what's left of the corpse.

• Like 1

Have you noticed that Chinese on a plane do not follow the rules. Planes taxing to the gate and way before it stops

the Chinese are up and trying to get their bags.

Its very dangerous should the plane have to come to an abrupt stop. And very loud When there is a confined space they seem to talk very loud

The Chinese government has the right approach to try and teach them some simple manners most of us abide by

They should learn from the Singapore government, that is what a lot of the rules and regulations and strict enforcement is meant to do is to change create a more civilized behaviour like the Japanese.

This is the result of Thailand's utter failure to deal with the incident.

The bomb threats and and actions of the passengers irrespective of nationality should have resulted in manacles followed by convictions and a long term in a Thai jail.

Another huge black mark on the current administration to add to the mounting cock ups.

Good on you China for consequential punishment, I hope it is a major deterrent for future travellers.

The rest were not "assaulted" and probably did not lodge charges. Once the "victim" settled, they figured their job was done.

Well I hope they do not face a firing squad, but I hope they are made to pay damages to AA and the staff concerned.

The cash thing will send a very strong message to Chinese folk for sure.........thumbsup.gif

There are no firing squads....just a single bullet in the back of the head.....and the family gets a bill for the bullet....fact.

Well I hope they do not face a firing squad, but I hope they are made to pay damages to AA and the staff concerned.

The cash thing will send a very strong message to Chinese folk for sure.........thumbsup.gif

There are no firing squads....just a single bullet in the back of the head.....and the family gets a bill for the bullet....fact.

And a side benefit is that some organs become available for transplant.

haha, som num naa !!

I hope that China make them regret their actions. I would have been fuming if myself and my family had our plane turn around and fly back, wasting everyones time and costs to a lot of people, and fuel.

Idiots should be punished. I doubt that we will find out what they get though

I'll bet a lot of people will volunteer to pay for the bullet.

Edited by LALes

I have to say it was a smart move for Thailand to send them back: no hassles,

and they are going to get it seriously now in China.

By now this is on CNN... "hot watergate"... I wouldn't want to be in that guy's shoes.

If only this could teach a lesson. I have been on AirAsia flights on which some chinese

passengers were happily choosing their seats during take-off, with a totally helpless crew.

They should be really thankful that this not happened on an American airplane and in American airspace. Very good chance that they had been shot by an air marshal or arrested by homeland security.

Unless they were from Ferguson Missouri, and of the right color and political affiliation. Then even if they were shot their behavior would be excused and the air marshal indited and convicted of murder, at least by the liberal media in the USA and elsewhere.

I used to be very annoyed by the Chinese tourists that come to Thailand. (Not to say they're the worst) Now I just think the loud burping, screaming while talking, picking their nose, coughing and not covering their mouth, and whatever else they're known for is pretty hilarious. Most are very nice and polite. We need to remember a lot of them are new to money and 'our' standards of what is socially acceptable. Most of them have good intentions and rarely a bad apple spoils the whole bunch. Don't judge them based on a crazy couple madly in love needing to sit near each other.

The spitting is the most spectacular.

It would be nice to think that the planeload of Chinese, who were delayed by hours because the plane had to turn back for these morons, would maybe get a bit fed up too.

Hopefully if more of these planeloads get turned around and the stories get spread around, then there might be some peer pressure eventually to improve behaviour.

We live in hope..

• Like 1

Take a Buddha out of the country

After too many problems caused by Chinese customers, lots of restaurants and hotels in France refuse their custom. Having personally experienced the way they behave, unfortunately, it's the only thing to do if you value the peace and quiet of other nationalities who would never come back after witnessing their behaviour.

• Like 1

Were these two quality tourist kin to the Korean airline executive who was upset at getting nuts in a bag instead of a plate?

The Chinese are going to put these two in a large city square...tie them back to back...and let people throw water and noodles at them from a distance of 20 feet...once they are covered in noodles...they will let their hungry police dogs have their first meal in days...

If they survive...they will become the poster children for what not to do if you are a Chinese tourist...

Plane company lost money on this flight. Hope these two have to reimburse those expenses like landing and take off fees, extra full, extra hours on the clock for the attendants and such, plus clothes cleaning for the flight attendants uniform.

I also hope that USA Homeland security puts these two on the 'no fly' to America list.

• Like 1