Thailand ponders visa fee waiver for Chinese tourists

VISA
Thailand ponders visa fee waiver for Chinese tourists
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thai authorities are discussing whether the exemption of visa fees for Chinese tourists should be re-introduced, said Deputy Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai on Friday.

He was referring to exemption of Bt1,000-visa fee for Chinese tourists between August and October 2014 in a bid to boost tourism.

Don said that last year was a pilot project and it is found that tour agencies still charged the tourists for the fee despite the fact that the sum was already exempted, Don said.

Therefore, the tourists were not benefitted from the privilege, Don said, adding visa exemption is different from free visa. The latter involved the national security that both countries have to discuss.

He reiterated that it is easy and convenient to get the entry visa to Thailand as the Chinese tourists could apply for the visa at Thai Embassy in Beijing and Thai Consulate General offices in China. Moreover they could apply for visa on arrival at the airports they enter Thailand.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thailand-ponders-visa-fee-waiver-for-Chinese-touri-30252043.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-16

The REAL big spenders do not bother about visa fee waived or not. Don't attract the wrong tourists to Thailand!

I don't know you, nor you me but ive been in Thailand for 10 years now and there are good and bad tourists, just the same as good and bad people. You can have a Russian tourist or Chinese tourist that cause no trouble what so ever. They come here for the whole point of tourism.

What my point is, is this. If you have a country that really does want tourism then what does a big spender actually mean??

Some of the so called big spenders from rich countrys dont spend a bean. Small familys from poorer countrys would prob spend more than the rich guys in the long run, and I'm not talking about things that you really should not buy. So Tell me who is the wrong kind of tourist? ( Idiot, drunk, loud mouth tourists are every where in every country or have i been living under a stone for 40 years? )

• Like 2

It's not racist at all. It makes perfect business sense to promote to the Chinese especially during their New Year. If you had any idea about the travel trade you would soon realise that your comment is baseless on fact. I could go on but with over 20 years in the trade I see this as perfect business sense.

• Like 1

Too much of a good thing is not always good.. Or too many tourists from one country. Economies take a dip as has happened to Russia. Now because they all tended to group in one area that part of tourist income in Jomtien has taken a dive. Surely better to have a level playing field and give everyone where possible free visa waiver on arrival.

• Like 1

This is funny and kind of pathetic at the same time. Imagine a hotel having less and less customers, with a gloomy manager and his team looking at the sinking figures and wondering what on earth they could try... then suddenly their communication expert comes up with this : "I know, folks ! how about offering the guests a welcome drink when they check in ?"

I read the comments about good and bad tourists, big spenders and so on....

I live in Chiang Mai and there are a lot of Chinese tourists

I lived in Pattaya and are (dont know now) a lot of Russian tourist

But If it was my first time in Thailand, I would be going home saying it was full of Chinese and Russians.... For some its bothersome, for others its not.

• Like 1

Ask what most people and small enterprises think about this in Chiang Mai.... They hardly spent any money and behave like they own the place. Bumping into you, skipping the queue, being VERY noisy, normal traits in China I guess. Maybe they need to make a leaflet about this before entering. Mind you, most have hardly ever been outside of China so understandably education would be needed. Most are on super cheap tours, all included. Not the kind of tourist you would like to attract.

• Like 1

The REAL big spenders do not bother about visa fee waived or not. Don't attract the wrong tourists to Thailand!

I don't know you, nor you me but ive been in Thailand for 10 years now and there are good and bad tourists, just the same as good and bad people. You can have a Russian tourist or Chinese tourist that cause no trouble what so ever. They come here for the whole point of tourism.

What my point is, is this. If you have a country that really does want tourism then what does a big spender actually mean??

Some of the so called big spenders from rich countrys dont spend a bean. Small familys from poorer countrys would prob spend more than the rich guys in the long run, and I'm not talking about things that you really should not buy. So Tell me who is the wrong kind of tourist? ( Idiot, drunk, loud mouth tourists are every where in every country or have i been living under a stone for 40 years? )

I like Chinese and Russian tourists, but only if they don't come in huge numbers and make me feel uncomfortable due to being present in such massive numbers in one place. Coming across a nice individual tourist from these countries, as I have, is one thing, but bus loads of middle aged, shouting tourists with no respect for the local culture and who don't contribute anything to local markets, shops, restaurants etc. anyway is a whole other thing.

I'm quite averse to the whole mass tourism thing anyway - if there's anywhere with a lot of tourists (to be honest they could be from anywhere, not just Russian or China) I don't just walk away - I RUN. There's nothing more I hate than mass, mass, mass tourism like in Thailand. Get me away from all these crowds!

Frequent travellers will notice this is a pub at Suvarnabhumi airport, near gate 'F'. To those who don't understand the issue, perhaps this video may shed some light on why mainland Chinese are so disliked, not just in Thailand, but in almost everywhere else.

I cannot remember anyone complaining when Thailand dropped the tourist visa fee in the UK.

When did Thailand drop the tourist visa fee specifically for applicants from the UK?

As usual you are reading something that is not there. I did not say specific to the UK, I remember the UK because I was there, I could not possibly remember some other country as I was not there.

I have to assume that the complaints regarding this waiver are down to the fact that they are not included.