Three Chinese tourists dead as tour bus crashes off Phuket hill

webfact

Three dead as tour bus crashes off Phuket hill
Eakkapop Thongtub

1427262762_1-org.jpg
The battered bus.

PHUKET: -- A tour bus crashed on Kata Hill at midday (March 25), with three of 20 Chinese tourists on board being killed in the crash and others injured.

The bus, owned by OA Transport and driven by Kajonwit Srisongkram, 35, from Trang, smashed through the roadside crash barrier and plunged down the hillside while on its way down the hill towards Chalong.

Mr Kajonwit was not injured but two women and one man among the passengers were thrown out of the bus and died.

Six ambulances attended the scene of the crash. The injured, 15 of them, were taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Chalong Police have asked motorists to avoid the area.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/three-dead-as-tour-bus-crashes-off-phuket-hill-51565.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-03-25

Nothing will be done to stop the carnage. I'm surprised the bus operator isn't there now spray painting the company logo with black paint to avoid bad publicity. I use that stretch of road everyday and the surface is bumpy and breaking up from the heavy vehicles.

How many must die before change is implemented?

• Like 2

Nothing will be done to stop the carnage. I'm surprised the bus operator isn't there now spray painting the company logo with black paint to avoid bad publicity. I use that stretch of road everyday and the surface is bumpy and breaking up from the heavy vehicles.

From Chalong going up hill the surface is bad, really bad, and has been like that for years and years. But coming from Kata the surface is good to reasonably good, and really can't be an excuse.

From Chalong going up hill the surface is bad, really bad, and has been like that for years and years. But coming from Kata the surface is good to reasonably good, and really can't be an excuse.
The outside lane going down the hill towards chalong on the sharpest part of the bend is really bumpy. Right on the lane markers.

The outside lane going down the hill towards chalong on the sharpest part of the bend is really bumpy. Right on the lane markers.
That is just a small spill over from the other road direction, hardly worth mentioning. On top of that, I don't think that has anything to do with this accident.

That is just a small spill over from the other road direction, hardly worth mentioning. On top of that, I don't think that has anything to do with this accident.
You obviously dont ride the bike down that hill. I'm glad your keyboard road crash investigations have determined that the road surface is up to standard and not the reason for the crash. Good work. Edited by hansgruber
  • Like 2

I just overtook that old bus as it was labouring up the Kata side of the hill. I saw him in my mirror barreling down the Chalong side of the hill. I got the hell as fast as I could away from him. 15 minutes later on my way back from Villa Market I saw the bus wreck. It was a very old looking bus. It will be the usual 'brakes not work good' excuse. How about 'I was going too fast' to get round the bend.

attachicon.gifBusCrashPatak.jpg

I've never seen one use the lower gears of the transmission to slow a bus down on a grade. It's a stomp the gas and stab the brakes drivers education here.

• Like 2

Wow sorry to hear there were again fatalities. Was just driving that road minutes before it happened, feeling lucky now.

The road conditions are just crazy and the buses are driving too fast. But I guess I should stop getting angry over these things since nothing much will change.

People complain about danger on Phuket roads and what we get is "not mandatory" 50km/h signs on the race track aka bypass road but the horrible wavey thing formerly known as asphalt on the really critical roads can remain unfixed. TiT

• Like 2

more likely from speed, poor maintained bus, no driving skills, and most importantly if the tourist not here it would not have happened. yes that section of the road is below standard

My post never said the road surface was to blame. Steven twists posts to suit is need to correct everyone. Moderator auditions are open.
  • Like 2

Three Chinese tourists killed in Thai bus crash
AFP

PHUKET: -- Three Chinese holidaymakers died and 17 were injured Wednesday in a bus crash on Thailand's southern tourist island of Phuket, a senior official said.

The accident happened shortly before midday when a bus smashed through a crash barrier and plunged into a ravine near Karon beach, on the island's southwest coast.

"Two women and one man were killed. Of the 17 injured, one is in a serious condition," Nisit Jansomwong, Phuket governor, told AFP by telephone.

"The bus was travelling uphill. We don't know the cause of the accident but police will have to question the Thai bus driver."

Photos on local media outlets showed a white bus resting midway down a steep incline. The roof at the back had been caved in.

Thailand's roads are among the world's deadliest and accidents are common.

A recent report by the World Health Organization said Thailand saw 38.1 road deaths per 100,000 people in 2010 -- behind only the Dominican Republic and the South Pacific island of Niue.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2015-03-25

"The bus was travelling uphill"

hmm.. really. the photos from PW. look diffrent

LivinginKata's first hand report as also different than this bogus account given by the fantastic Governor we currently have.

>>"Two women and one man were killed. Of the 17 injured, one is in a serious condition," Nisit Jansomwong, Phuket governor, told AFP by telephone.

"The bus was travelling uphill. We don't know the cause of the accident but police will have to question the Thai bus driver."

• Like 1

"The bus was travelling uphill"

hmm.. really. the photos from PW. look diffrent

LivinginKata's first hand report as also different than this bogus account given by the fantastic Governor we currently have.

>>"Two women and one man were killed. Of the 17 injured, one is in a serious condition," Nisit Jansomwong, Phuket governor, told AFP by telephone.

They can't blame it on speed or incompetence that way. Brakes failed, rolled back. End of story.

Hurts tourism less that way.

Safety ... a completely lost concept on Thais.

Still it doesn't matter those tourists will continue to flock to Thailand to risk their lives at the hands of people who couldn't care less providing the money keeps on flowing. As normal you won't get any follow ups on this 'accident' as it'll be swept under the carpet as quickly as possible without any further ado.

RIP the poor buggers that thought they were on holiday. I'm amazed the Chinese Gov hasn't acted considering how many of them are killed each year.

• Like 2

. . .

still patong hill is flooded with buses and large commercial trucks all day. yet did not the governor say no more during certain hours. just pure garbage coming out of phuket officials mouths.

Trucks and buses are banned from Patong hill before 9am, and I believe at some time in the afternoon as well.

Between 9 and 10am, the road is head to tail tour buses all laboring up the hill headed toward Kathu. Not sure how the permitted hours are enforced, but I've seen traffic police directing trucks carrying Burmese laborers into Wat Patong (presumably to issue a fine) as they make the final downhill turn into Patong in the morning.

Edited by DrDave

more likely from speed, poor maintained bus, no driving skills, and most importantly if the tourist not here it would not have happened. yes that section of the road is below standard

If they drive anything like the concrete lorries coming to my land they all think they are driving an F1 car, engine revving drive like idiots and ALL the same, way too fast, they have been told the soil is soft so go walking pace.............stupid grin and then bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum flat out...........next one is turned over in the ditch, its simple they are all retards with nothing between their ears but a stupid grin.

Yes i can generalise as Im having 160 cubes delivered in 3 cube lorries, 30 loads in the last day n a half, all drive the same "unique" way.CRAP

Edited by kannot
  • Like 1

You obviously dont ride the bike down that hill. I'm glad your keyboard road crash investigations have determined that the road surface is up to standard and not the reason for the crash. Good work.
I am there daily, some days multiple times, by bike or car. And can we now get back to the real cause of the accident?