German man struck by propellor of Phuket longtail boat

webfact

German man struck by propellor of Phuket longtail boat
Eakkapop Thongtub

1427361569_1-org.jpg
Rudi Dann, 53, from Germany is currently being treated at Bangkok Hospital Phuket.

PHUKET: -- A German man is currently being treated in the Bangkok Hospital Phuket after being struck by the propeller of a longtail boat whilst swimming at Karon beach yesterday morning (March 25).

At around 10:30am lifeguards rushed out on a jetski to help a man who had been struck by the propellor of a long tail boat after noticing he was in trouble in the water.

The man, who was still concious, was brought back to the beach on the jetski and was taken to Patong hospital with a deep slice to the back of his head. However, he was later transferred to Bangkok Hospital Phuket due to the seriousness of his wound.

According to lifeguards, the longtail boat continued out to sea after the incident.

The wounded man, named as Rudi Dann, 53, is believed to have been staying at the Jintana Andaman Hotel in Patong.

The longtail boat driver has since turned himself in to Karon Police Station.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/german-man-struck-by-propellor-of-phuket-longtail-boat-51588.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-03-26

Well if justice is equal, the longtail driver should be paying the medical bills. Somehow I very much doubt that will happen.

That would be too easy.

The driver also has to be named and shamed in all German newspapers and he has to apologise for it. Why did he not help the swimmer by the way?

He has to pay the medicall bills and also a totally new holiday for this quality tourist. Maybe even an emergency flight back home to Germany.

I hope the swimmer is fine and let his insurance-lawyers take care of the cost. What a shame! Do thai longtailboat captains have any license by the way? Or a course how to give first aid?

This is gonna cost Thailand many quality tourists.

• Like 1

Well done to the lifeguards to observe the accident, and handle it in a professional manner!

Since we are in Phuket, the victim will probably recieve a 100.000 baht bill from the driver of the longtail for a spoiled propeller!!

• Like 2

The boats shouldn't be anywhere near a swimmer. They should have a marked off area specifically for boats only. I recently went to Railay beach in Krabi.. The official beach sign sensibly had the boat section at the far end away from the hotels.. The reality was the boats were in the centre of the beach.. Horrible bloody things!

post-195835-14273866965432_thumb.jpg

If there are boats in the water, legally, swimmers need to be on high alert. Easy to get too close to a boat and get into trouble.

Best wishes for a good recovery for this man.

Where do you get the "legally" bit from?

Nonsense.

There is no swimmer on the planet who can out-swim a motorised boat.

Longtail boat drivers are deaf trough the noise, brain dead and 85% arrogant little *&^*.

They should ban the filthy, stinking, noisy, inefficient polluters from the water.

In comparison motorcycle taxis are pleasant to deal with.

• Like 2

Well done to the lifeguards to observe the accident, and handle it in a professional manner!

Since we are in Phuket, the victim will probably recieve a 100.000 baht bill from the driver of the longtail for a spoiled propeller!!

Agreed. Good work and good luck to the injured.

Lets hope that there is also no claim for damages to the jetski........ wink.png

Well if justice is equal, the longtail driver should be paying the medical bills. Somehow I very much doubt that will happen.

That would be too easy.

The driver also has to be named and shamed in all German newspapers and he has to apologise for it. Why did he not help the swimmer by the way?

He has to pay the medicall bills and also a totally new holiday for this quality tourist. Maybe even an emergency flight back home to Germany.

I hope the swimmer is fine and let his insurance-lawyers take care of the cost. What a shame! Do thai longtailboat captains have any license by the way? Or a course how to give first aid?

First of all, Germany doesn't publish perpetrators full names and secondly I really doubt that this incident will keep tourists away.

• Like 1

If there are boats in the water, legally, swimmers need to be on high alert. Easy to get too close to a boat and get into trouble.

Best wishes for a good recovery for this man.

Where do you get the "legally" bit from?

Nonsense.

There is no swimmer on the planet who can out-swim a motorised boat.

Longtail boat drivers are deaf trough the noise, brain dead and 85% arrogant little *&^*.

They should ban the filthy, stinking, noisy, inefficient polluters from the water.

In comparison motorcycle taxis are pleasant to deal with.

There are lots of places boats are allowed to operate near the beach. All over Thailand. I walk by the boat launch ramp here in Jomtien on a regular basis. Just up the beach is an area that's roped off for swimmers. But I often see swimmers right next to the boats being launched. Something I'd never do.

They may be noisy, polluting boats, but that's not the topic here is it? I've been on many longtail boats for tours and the operators were quite nice. Accidents do happen.

That would be too easy.

What country do you think you are living in?coffee1.gif

I knew a chap who broke his leg while riding a motorcycle and his doctor told him swimming was good therapy and would help him heal. He was run over by a speedboat while swimming tearing a hole through his rib cage and puncturing his lung. While he was telling me this story, he fetched a beer from a rocky outcrop near the surf and broke his arm.

• Like 2

T.I.T The land of... ????

Will the boat owner, or person/s operating the boat, pay for damages?

What about SAFETY checks carried out on all boats?,

Operators license?

Checks on both operation and safety of equipment plus staff competence, in operating equipment.

First-aid?

Training in general welfare of the customer/s plus culture awareness?

Wishful thinking on my part, me thinks.

Money and greed may be the driving force? As for peoples safety, enjoyment and value for money,well, T.I.T - L.I.C (LIFE IS CHEAP)

I knew a chap who broke his leg while riding a motorcycle and his doctor told him swimming was good therapy and would help him heal. He was run over by a speedboat while swimming tearing a hole through his rib cage and puncturing his lung. While he was telling me this story, he fetched a beer from a rocky outcrop near the surf and broke his arm.

I wouldn't stand too near him!!

>>Do thai longtailboat captains have any license by the way?

If I was a betting man, I'd say no, a very high majority of them don't have licenses even though they cater to tourists, and highly doubtful they have any meaningful insurance.

Agree with you regarding insurance but not license, they will all be licensed.

Lifeguards. They didn't guard this chaps life too well. Surely if you are looking out for the well being of swimmers you might just think that any boats with props. should be a long way away. Or is it the job of LGs to pull out folk after being smitten by a prop doing 3000 rpm.

Lucky to survive, not so lucky the young lady killled by a longtail a few months ago on K.T. noisy, smelly and dangerous, get rid of them.

Get rid of them?? Really? Its been their way of life for generations...who the fk are you to tell someone else to give up their life and income just to keep YOU happy...its his home not yours. Its sad when this happens yes but i really dont think it was his intention to drive over the guy.

Lucky to survive, not so lucky the young lady killled by a longtail a few months ago on K.T. noisy, smelly and dangerous, get rid of them.

What , young ladies ?

Yeah, smelly and dangerous - you'll never catch me around one.

Get rid of them?? Really? Its been their way of life for generations...who the fk are you to tell someone else to give up their life and income just to keep YOU happy...its his home not yours. Its sad when this happens yes but i really dont think it was his intention to drive over the guy.

As indeed were carts and horses used for centuries.

I don't mind a bit of tradition, but with a bit of effort they could be made to fit effective silencers on the exhaust, stop the leaking oil, ensure the floorboards are firmly fixed, clean out all the rubbish at the end of the day.

• Like 2

The boats shouldn't be anywhere near a swimmer. They should have a marked off area specifically for boats only. I recently went to Railay beach in Krabi.. The official beach sign sensibly had the boat section at the far end away from the hotels.. The reality was the boats were in the centre of the beach.. Horrible bloody things!

20 years ago i went to Riley beach with a longtailboat.

There was nobody at all on the whole beach! I even thought i made a mistake by going there.

All tourists were at that beach near the cave and the Thai all examined us because we were so white and huge.

Looking at this picture i have no reason to ever go back to Riley beach, it looks like a parkinglot for noisy longtailboats. i remember putting pieces of my towell in my ears to stop that loud enginenoise but it didn't help at all.

Also 20 years ago the captains couldn't speak any english, i wonder if that has changed now.

>>Do thai longtailboat captains have any license by the way?

If I was a betting man, I'd say no, a very high majority of them don't have licenses even though they cater to tourists, and highly doubtful they have any meaningful insurance.

Agree with you regarding insurance but not license, they will all be licensed.

Yeah sure they will all be licensed - just like my TW who got one for the asking without knowing anything about boats or the rules.