Malaysia confident Thailand will eventually conquer corruption

Malaysia confident Thailand will eventually conquer corruption

BANGKOK, 17 May 2015 (NNT) - Malaysia has expressed confidence that Thailand will, one day, be successful in conquering the problem of corruption.

The National Reform Council has recently joined the National Anti-Corruption Commission in hosting a seminar on the fight against graft and the promotion of ethics.

In addition to members of the NRC and representatives from various private organizations, the organizer has invited Datuk Paul Low, Malaysia’s Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department to attend as an honorary speaker.

Mr. Low has shared with participants of the seminar that he does not consider the problem of corruption in Thailand as critical and unsolvable.

He also noted that the prevention or the clampdown on graft in each country requires different approaches due to differing settings although all solutions must always take into consideration the aspects of economics, society, politics and the promotion of moral and ethics among the people.

The Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department also showed his confidence that Thailand will soon find an appropriate solution to such a problem in an efficient and timely manner.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-17 footer_n.gif

Thank you, this is the best LOL I've had all day.

"...he does not consider the problem of corruption in Thailand as critical and unsolvable....." Like it is in Malaysia

Are Malaysia trying to portray the part of the slayer of corruption ? They make the Thais look like Saints, I shit you not

I knew this was going to be "One of Those" Threads when My Irony meter burnt out

Edited by ExPratt

and maybe, just maybe, Malaysia could follow suit

- but it will be a struggle, as Malaysia doesn't have the tea-money system of Thailand,

but instead, a coffee-money system,

so good results cannot be guaranteed

"According to a 2013 public survey in Malaysia by Transparency International, a majority of the surveyed households perceived Malaysian political parties to be highly corrupt.[1] A quarter of the surveyed households consider the government's efforts in the fight against corruption to be ineffective.[2]

Business executives surveyed in the World Economic Forum's Global Competitiveness Report 2013-2014 reveal that unethical behaviours of companies constitute a disadvantage for doing business in Malaysia.["

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_in_Malaysia

So who would know more about the subject and be better equipped to offer opinion.

Malaysia much be looking to the very long term. Corruption is so much a part of Thailand that it'll take more than a generation to be rid of it.

Workers at the lowest levels in government jobs have already paid for their positions, and they have 30+ years till retirement.

"According to a 2013 public survey in Malaysia by Transparency International, a majority of the surveyed households perceived Malaysian political parties to be highly corrupt.[1] A quarter of the surveyed households consider the government's efforts in the fight against corruption to be ineffective.[2]

Business executives surveyed in the World Economic Forum's Global Competitiveness Report 2013-2014 reveal that unethical behaviours of companies constitute a disadvantage for doing business in Malaysia.["

So who would know more about the subject and be better equipped to offer opinion.

How long has the same Malaysian political party been in Government , then, take it from there.

Malaysia's corruption in the government is as high as Thailand. Tenders are manipulated. Kids linked to parents from UMNO buy properties all over the world and are even involved in Hollywood.

The only corruption I don't see is in the police force but then again I am not Burmese, Pakistani or Bangladeshi.

If I've learned anything from this forum, it's that there are plenty of people in Thailand who don't care about ethics and don't want and end to corruption.

And I also learned that those people generally write like they never finished school.

How long has the same Malaysian political party been in Government , then, take it from there.

Since Independence or Merdekah as they call it, 58 years this year on August 31,

corruption is not something that is "conquered" or "cured". It is something that exists.... the issue is to uncover it where it happens and stop it as often as possible.

Open and free societies have an advantage in fighting corruption because the tools which are most effective - extreme transparency and regulatory controls - are compatible with free and open societies. A vigorous, free media is a catalyst that makes uncovering corruption more likely.

As Thailand currently has none of these things, it exposes the impotence of the Junta/Yellow argument that the cou 'intervention' was needed to remove a corrupt government.

Malaysia's corruption in the government is as high as Thailand. Tenders are manipulated. Kids linked to parents from UMNO buy properties all over the world and are even involved in Hollywood.

The only corruption I don't see is in the police force but then again I am not Burmese, Pakistani or Bangladeshi.

You haven't seen police corruption in Malaysia ?

Since Independence or Merdekah as they call it, 58 years this year on August 31,

Now that's what I call conquering corruption,

How do you keep other political parties from being corrupt? Don't give them a chance

perhaps that's what they meant about Thailand, if this government stays in power for ever, no other party will ever be corrupt,

Worked in Malaysia for a few years in the 1990's. The headline to this thread made me laugh out loud!!

We had a large Malaysian workforce and I always remember a story that came out in the UK Sunday Times around 93/94 stating that a British company had paid $50k to the PM, Mahathir Mohamad to gain a contract. The locals just did not believe the story. Their view was that MM wouldn't answer the phone for such a paltry sum. They knew full well the extent of corruption - particularly at the top.

Unfortunately the story had serious ramifications for British companies at the time with a freeze imposed on new government contracts for a time. .