Ducati Monster 821, Yamaha MT 09, Kawasaki Z 800 Which one?

ALFREDO

I have a bunch of dog puppies I take care off - cannot let them with Thais. so I have one more excuse, with the wet Monsun weather,

why I still have not bought a bike.

Still undecided, I look for all kind of second-hand bikes in facebook and Internet and think of the Honda CB650F

and the Ducati Monster 821.

If there would not be such a big price gap, I would go for the Thai-Italian. On the other hand - my Test rides had shown,

the Honda is also enough for my needs. rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i wasted my time and read most of this thread and my answer is; none of them.

just go buy a honda cb300f or cbr150r or a honda wave is just fine. From the thread and from your posts, it sound like those big bikes are not suitable for you.

Sorry you wasted your time. tongue.png

"From the thread and from your posts, it sound like those big bikes are not suitable for you."

I surprised you come to that opinion. rolleyes.gif

After I posted in that thread a page ago, my bike history.

Starting with a Kawaski Cb 650 in racing design when I was 17 in 1977/78

=======================================================================

"My =GLORY DAYS=

Moto Guzzi, 1000cc special edition in 1980, not much thoughts just a newspaper article
Ordered ,
Same with a lot other bikes, most without a Test ride bought, or much thinking, all new bought,
Yamaha FZ750, FZR1000, FZR1000 Exup, a Bimota YB6 (was not satisfied), Honda Fire Blade 900,
Yamaha R1-1998
======================================================================

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/826754-ducati-monster-821-yamaha-mt-09-kawasaki-z-800-which-one/page-10#entry9594783

In Thailand, I had for 14 years a old very loud thumbsup.gif Honda CBR 400 R from 1992 and I would not like to go more down in power and fun.

A nasty accident 2014, with the small Honda which kept me in problems of all kinds for many month,

let me decide to sell her.

11667933_905019166203043_953042871_n.jpg

Its, same always in life, a money thing,

-how much you can, -how much you like to spend on a bike,

if not, I would have bought the Ducati Monster already - the Honda is also good enough, but no Ducati.

wink.png

There is a interesting CB 650 advertised on thaivisa, but not my color and more - the owner does not read my PM, is never online!?blink.png

I will go today or next days to Udon Thani city and visit the 2 bikes in question again, have a sitting om them and then -possibly- decide and sign-order. Or do that in Phuket. smile.png

Edited by ALFREDO

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one Alfredo, how much did you pay and how is the bike?

I found that bike on the Thaivisa.com advertising page and it was a good deal as the Honda had some Goodies -Exhaust + ect already and only small Km on the clock, was nearly new from 2015.thumbsup.gif

The prices I saw so far are for such Bikes similar. Around a quarter of a Million a little + or little -

for a low mileage 2014.

How is the bike, = To short to write now, nearly all Highway driven. Needs more time.

But can write - very handy only I would prefer if she would have a 7th gear

I permanently try to put that gear in.

The loud exhaust on that Honda and the induction noise, let you believe,

you faster driving than you really are.tongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Nice one Alfredo, how much did you pay and how is the bike?

I found that bike on the Thaivisa.com advertising page and it was a good deal as the Honda had some Goodies -Exhaust + ect already and only small Km on the clock, was nearly new from 2015.thumbsup.gif

The prices I saw so far are for such Bikes similar. Around a quarter of a Million a little + or little -

for a low mileage 2014.

How is the bike, = To short to write now, nearly all Highway driven. Needs more time.

But can write - very handy only I would prefer if she would have a 7th gear

I permanently try to put that gear in.

The loud exhaust on that Honda and the induction noise, let you believe,

you faster driving than you really are.tongue.png

I've been riding my Honda for (or any bike for that matter) and I am still looking for that other gear, the only true way of knowing is if the speedo say 290kph lol.....I must be in 6th gear

in all seriousness I look at the rev counter and speedo and in 6th it says 120kph @ 4k

enjoy and be safe

• 2 weeks later...

So how is the bike going after 2 weeks?

I have not driven much, just some short rides, its a lot of unsteady weather here in my region,

I was also on a short family holiday in Bangkok, so my possibilities had been limited.

I am satisfied, the acceleration is fine, the gears fitting good together, special nice to hear (for me at least) with the open exhaust.

Torque is good, from 2000 Rpm in 6th gear, acceleration no problem. That is about 42 km/h.

Would not be angry, if the 6th gear or a possible 7th gear would be a kind of overdrive.

Must get used to it maybe, in the moment I could life with lower revs when cruising.

Also the small Honda CBR400RR I had before which was also loud and had even higher revs, I felt it in different way. Or is it the intake noise? Need more time.

Was also, until now, on no challenging twisted, roads. The handling is, so far very good.

Thought also, to install a Power commander. smile.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Nice, not.

Only colours that could be worse are Beige and Brown.

Unfortunately the interior of my Vigo is Beige. Yuck.

My first Bonniville (1976 T140v) was brown with beige flashes. That soon got resprayed !

Seriously, this colour (z800) was so dull, that it shocked me as it was surrounded by other nice bikes.

Edited by DILLIGAD

Saw a 2016 Z800 ABS yesterday in the most depressing dark maroon colour.

Who ever chose that colour should be shot along with his guide dog!!!

Nice, not.

Only colours that could be worse are Beige and Brown.

Unfortunately the interior of my Vigo is Beige. Yuck.

I would have gone for the 3-colored Cb650, but that second hand 5.2015 bike,which was a good deal, is mat-black. Surprisingly,a lot like that color - also on Ducati. The first owner of that cb650 choose a mat-black Diavel Carbon as his new favorite. whistling.gif

• 1 month later...

Well written and fits me I think thumbsup.gif

Honda CB650F and Honda CBR650F

= "an excellent bike for the guy who's been riding his whole life and loves to ride the snot out of an inline-four,
but doesn't necessarily want to get arrested.
We'll call this guy the "mature rider."
Not that he's old, necessarily, but just that has both the skill to ride something you have to wind up pretty high
and the knowledge that he doesn't need to go 130 mph everywhere.
For that guy, this is a wonderful track toy or canyon carver, because it allows him to work on the same riding skills he would with a supersport, just at speeds bordering almost legal."

• 2 months later...

So how is the bike going after 2 weeks?

After 3.000 km

I am OK with the Honda CB 650 F the IXS Exhaust makes a nice sound, good for dogs and pedestrians, bikes and smaller motorbikes.
Still can not much say about really curvy roads, mountain roads. Have the plan to visit such terrain, Isaan is a bit flat and only hilly.
Ordered a set of HYPERPRO shock and front fork springs, as I am a (very) heavy guy and had such equipment on my Yamaha R1 Model 1998 in my home country was very satisfied.
2 cm shorter the shock, so a bit more lower seat position too.
I drove once 180 for short period, wind, no big problem, but I realize,
all together, I not drive faster than I drove with the small Honda CBR 400 RR, I drive slower, its the relaxed seatposition, the loud sound, let you believe you already faster than you are, good. I like. smile.png

I was doing my research too, with my budget 480k

Considered all bikes mentioned here, googled them all, and talked on motors forums, the only bike I didnt knew they sell in thailand was that mentioned here Trumph triple R.

Ended up buying Ducati Monster 821 Pearl White 2016 (red and black are 2015 models).

821 got most bells and whisels, like 6 stage ABS, 3 stage traction control, top racing tires Pirelli Diablo rosso II

821cc with amazing sound

Triumph does not sound nice just normal smile.png and its 650cc

Brembo breakes

3 riding modes

112hp

etc.

Comes with worry free service

2 years unlimited milage warranty

1 year insurance

REVIEW : http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2015-ducati-monster-821-review

http://www.ducatithailand.com/bikes/monster/821/index.do

post-235369-0-16719800-1454320634_thumb.

post-235369-0-02156600-1454320640_thumb.

Edited by BeefSlapper

Considered all bikes mentioned here, googled them all, and talked on motors forums, the only bike I didnt knew they sell in thailand was that mentioned here Trumph triple R.

Ended up buying Ducati Monster 821 Pearl White 2016 (red and black are 2015 models).

821 got most bells and whisels, like 6 stage ABS, 3 stage traction control, top racing tires Pirelli Diablo rosso II

821cc with amazing sound

Brembo breakes

3 riding modes

112hp

etc.

1 year insurance

attachicon.gif12513835_10154522955773206_3114053785581102262_o.jpg

attachicon.gif12604725_10154522955933206_5105546040215876656_o.jpg

Congt on the Monster 821, without a doubt huge fun factor.

I don't understand why they cheap out on red wheels in Thailand for the Monster 821 in white. The bike looks so much better with them.

white with red wheels is 2014 model

2016 bot black with red stripe

and Ducati on tank is not an sticker but like gravered tho

I don't understand why they cheap out on red wheels in Thailand for the Monster 821 in white. The bike looks so much better with them.

Is this Thailand specific? I can't find any white Monster with black wheels online on Ducati websites.

And when I google for Monster 821 2016 I can only find white ones with red wheels.

Is this Thailand specific? I can't find any white Monster with black wheels online on Ducati websites.

And when I google for Monster 821 2016 I can only find white ones with red wheels.

Model pops up its 2014 i think.

But it Thailand they dont do red.

I think red is 2014 US or 15 but most likely 14

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

821cc with amazing sound

Brembo breakes

3 riding modes

112hp

etc.

1 year insurance

It was a difficult decision, but the 50 % cheaper price for the nearly new Honda CB650F with some after market parts and Number 1 insurance paid and still long valid got the deal and not the DUCATI with the more hefty price tag.

Just have my new HYPERPRO parts spring and shock package fitted into the bike, for extra heavy drivers and the shock 2 cm shorter, now all even better! thumbsup.gif

the IXIL exhaust without DB killer inside is also a head turner. rolleyes.gif

12743664_1015911748447117_46013113974945

12744137_1015906861780939_54092327791150

12729020_1015906918447600_22699682339849

12744278_1015910121780613_13869083325688

821cc with amazing sound

Brembo breakes

3 riding modes

112hp

etc.

1 year insurance

It was a difficult decision, but the 50 % cheaper price for the nearly new Honda CB650F with some after market parts and Number 1 insurance paid and still long valid got the deal and not the DUCATI with the more hefty price tag.

Just have my new HYPERPRO parts spring and shock package fitted into the bike, for extra heavy drivers and the shock 2 cm shorter, now all even better! thumbsup.gif

Nice one.

Problem is police will harras u for that exhust. Now crackdown on motorists going on.

Depends where u live tho.

Im in pattaya had ninja 300 with devil exhust and db killer. Was stopped everyday. Fined few times 1000thb

And forced to out back stock. Since then i dont change exhusts.

Be carefull around copers

Edited by seedy
fotos

1 year insurance

I you sure?

In dilershop Chiang Mai tell ne its 2 y or 25k km

And free 1 year first class insure not for Monster 821.

:(

Its for hypermotard

2 y 25k km is free service

Warranty is 2 y unlimited millage

Nice one.

Problem is police will harras u for that exhust. Now crackdown on motorists going on.

Depends where u live tho.

Im in pattaya had ninja 300 with devil exhust and db killer. Was stopped everyday. Fined few times 1000thb

And forced to out back stock. Since then i dont change exhusts.

Be carefull around copers

=Beef Slapper=

Thank you,

I have my experience with a very loud exhaust on a 1993 Honda 400 CBR Fireblade there was only a loose flute tangling inside the self made? exhaust in Patong-Phuket and surroundings from 2000 - 2013, then brought to Udon Thani in the countryside and driven there for 6 month until a Pick Up driving in front of me forced me to a massive accident.

I did not pay once for loud, have to say I got stopped in Isaan at a road block same everybody,

near home and just drove off and away from the checkpoint.

Motorbike numberplate in my Ex Gf name in other province, nobody got a letter from police. wink.png

419258_539477519423878_2049420732_n.jpg?

Sure,

times change and it can get more tight, but now I drive around Udon Thani, Khon Kaen, Chayaphum, Sakhon Nakhon province, here the clock still ticking different.

After I bought the Honda CB650F, I drove her out of Bangkok and up to Udon Thani myself

and just before Saraburi on the Highway a roadblock.

I was stopped to, but just drove off.

I think extra for me,

(that was short, some days, after the Bangkok holy site bomb, they looked for suspects, Falangs toblink.png )

they made a second road block, some km away, but I drove off the Highway before

and drove small roads until back on Highway after Saraburi.

No police letter came to the person the bike was registered at that time. rolleyes.gif

Was just in Chayaphum province and drove the Highway Khon Kaen-Udon Thani with a good speed

and so also sound, approaching a Highway Policeman in the middle of a U-turn with his papers in hand.

I pulled the clutch but sure to late, he must have heard me roaring coming.

But, he not even looked at me, let me pass. tongue.png

On the other hand, 1000 Baht, WAUW, I never paid anywhere more than 100 - 200 Baht for any traffic offence here in Thailand (no receipt) Maximum 300 Baht with receipt. smile.png

Edited by ALFREDO