Additional purchase of affordable 9 MM pistols now permitted for police

Lite Beer

Additional purchase of affordable 9 MM pistols now permitted for police

19-6-2558-14-02-18-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Police commissioner yesterday issued an urgent radio message instructing police officers who placed orders for affordable pistols since April this year to confirm their orders, and those wanting to buy to place new orders by June 30.

The order by the commissioner Pol Gen Somyot Phumphanmuang came as the Royal Thai Police is in the process to seek exemption of import duties and other taxes from relevant government agencies, and to seek import quota from the minister of interior.

The purchase is part of the welfare scheme to procure 9 MM pistols to police officers as personal property for official use and for self defence at affordable price.

The voluntary scheme has selected the Swiss-made 9 MM Sig Saucer Model P 30 pistol at 18,000 baht, excluding import duty and other expenses.

Under the welfare scheme, the national police said it carries five conditions that purchaser must accept before making confirmation of the purchase.

They included purchaser must be police officer, payment in full amount in cash, ownership of pistol cannot be transferred to others, except in succession of heritage from parents to children, initial price is at 18,000 baht while net price will be made after tax exemption is approved.

Pol Gen Somyot said the Royal Thai Police needs to know the exact number of the pistols as import quota to be sought from the minister must match the number of pistols ordered.

Market price of the same pistol is several times higher making it hardly possible for low ranking officer to personally buy for self defence. The high price was pushed up by limited import quota for civilian use plus high import duty.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/additional-purchase-of-affordable-9-mm-pistols-now-permitted-for-police

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-21

>>The Royal Thai Police commissioner yesterday issued an urgent radio message instructing police officers who placed orders for affordable pistols since April this year to confirm their orders, and those wanting to buy to place new orders by June 30.<< Quote

"Urgent radio message" ???

To make sure that Somyot receives the kickbacks before his retirement soon.............coffee1.gif

>>Market price of the same pistol is several times higher making it hardly possible for low ranking officer to personally buy for self defence<< Quote

But makes it a nice little earner for the higher ranking officers, when they sell them on the black market.........coffee1.gif

>>he included purchaser must be police officer, payment in full amount in cash, ownership of pistol cannot be transferred to others, except in succession of heritage from parents to children, << Quote

So in the future all drug dealing mini mafia children of police officers will legally be able to carry a gun!!

Makes sense...................

Sig Saucer, LOL. How about Sig Sauer.

Those must be subsidized. That price is very low for a Sig. A low price pistol would cost about 2/3 of a Sig and still be a very good gun.

It could have been misspelled worse, like Sieg heils........ what do they know?

Sig Saucer, LOL. How about Sig Sauer.

Those must be subsidized. That price is very low for a Sig. A low price pistol would cost about 2/3 of a Sig and still be a very good gun.

No these are 'Sig Saucer',

Usual Chinese mis-named copies.

Do the Keystone Cops have to buy their own guns and bullets, Jeez what a shambles!!

They also have to very often supply their own motorbikes

And uniforms! Including dress uniforms and it ain't cheap...

An extremely stupid system!

And many wonder why the ordinary copper has his hand out at every chance for the little extra cash.

If the police can have this for 'Personal self defense', And so what can we legally own and carry for our self defense?

A pot of pepper!

I would have thought you would understand WHY a police man might carry his weapon for personal protection.. Especially when most live in the same town or village as the people they are prosecuting!

No?

I've been on a few motorcycle rides with Thai police, it's amusing and a little disconcerting when they get out their guns..

Do the Keystone Cops have to buy their own guns and bullets, Jeez what a shambles!!

They also have to very often supply their own motorbikes

And uniforms! Including dress uniforms and it ain't cheap...

An extremely stupid system!

Maybe that is why all the uniforms are skin tight. Save money on material.

If the police can have this for 'Personal self defense', And so what can we legally own and carry for our self defense?

Anything you want, as long as you get a licence for it, just as a police officer has to do.

Anything you want, as long as you get a licence for it, just as a police officer has to do.

Really! Anyone can get a firearms licence in Thailand.. Tell us more?

It's even worse than that. OK they may have the chance to buy " quality " guns, but from what I've seen they tend to buy cheap bullets, which can misfire, get jammed in the barrel etc.

Now I don't want to get dragged into some US gun debate, so all you US haters, just shut up now before you start.

Cops in the US also buy their own guns, but thats where it gets weird here in Thailand. i looked into buying a Glock here and it over double what the same weapon would cost if I went into a gun store in the US, somewhere around $500, here upwards of ฿35K

Now you are asking a Thai cop who at best earns (legally) about ฿15K/month to spend 2+ months salary on his work related gun!

I'm in no way condoning RTP corruption, but when a cop on the street earns so little and still has to buy his gun, bullets and paper clips, it fosters a climate that they have to skim a little

>>he included purchaser must be police officer, payment in full amount in cash, ownership of pistol cannot be transferred to others, except in succession of heritage from parents to children, << Quote

So in the future all drug dealing mini mafia children of police officers will legally be able to carry a gun!!

Makes sense...................

What a load of crap. They should only be allowed to be sold by the deceased estate , back to the police, not passed on to their often, criminal offspring ! who will probably never be in the police force. Hence, later on down the track lots of guys toting pistols in public. What a totally stupid lack of foresight. sad.pngfacepalm.gif

Edited by oldsailor35

Now I don't want to get dragged into some US gun debate, so all you US haters, just shut up now before you start.

Cops in the US also buy their own guns, but thats where it gets weird here in Thailand. i looked into buying a Glock here and it over double what the same weapon would cost if I went into a gun store in the US, somewhere around $500, here upwards of ฿35K

Now you are asking a Thai cop who at best earns (legally) about ฿15K/month to spend 2+ months salary on his work related gun!

I'm in no way condoning RTP corruption, but when a cop on the street earns so little and still has to buy his gun, bullets and paper clips, it fosters a climate that they have to skim a little

Simply Demand and Supply ! There are probably millions more guns floating around the United States, where every man and his dog has one, than in Thailand.