Things that make me go aaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhh in LOS.

thaibeachlovers

Driving is the number one ARGH for me. Sitting in my pub near the road a few weeks ago and a scooter went past ( about 9pm , so very dark ) he had no lights but his face was lit up as he had his tablet/i pod/ notebook whatever it was in his left hand. No licence, no insurance and no idea ! Honda could make even more money if they made scooters with half a handle bar and no lights. PAH !

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driving/riding here is part of life for me here, could not live in a house without own transportation so have a truck, scooters and a big bike (just for fun mostly).

Well if not, how would you get around? Use a (sometimes drunk) taxi driver? Do you think he is a better driver than yourself? I doubt that very much.

I also avoid driving/riding after dark if possible, especially during weekends where +10% of the road users (perhaps more in the vee hours) are drunk.

Most Thais actually drives ok enough, it's most the young male punks in their modified cars/trucks/bikes that goes like they are on a race circuit, so I give them space and let them pass.

Even riding on my 650cc bike gives me enormous pleasure, the weather is good and Thais are used to have bikes around them so I don't find it nerve wrecking but are off-course extremely alert at all times and don't go very fast when smaller roads (sois) branch the highway I am riding on.

What really gets to me here are the dogs everywhere that don't seems to have an owner, some 1/2 wild, sometimes over 8 of them in a "gang". Send them all to Vietnam and made dog strew out of them as far as I am concerned. I don't mind dogs as such and we have one ourselves and we give him a good life (my wife took him from the street when he was a puppy).

I ran one over in the truck once but he was one lucky dog that day and didn't get under the wheels and I saw him in my mirrors running away (thankfully).

You should think about installing a dashcam. I've heard many farangs walking away from an accident without having to pay for anything (unless they were at fault of course) because they had footage of the incident and the police could review it.

Jip, only way to go is to have one of these in your windscreen... No one can argue the actual evidence on cam.

Dash cam is a good idea here. I drive a car and motorcycle here and it's at times frustrating and challenging. The one law I'd like to see police enforced is driving cars and scooters with no taillights, headlights or both. No excuse not to replace a 50฿ lightbulb

Yep i can relate to that, I've told the TGF I'm not buying a car when i eventually move there.

So you want to use buses, minivans and motorcycle taxis do you? You won't live any longer.

Smug and judgemental.

I leave the telling of others people's futures to those better qualified...if there is such a thing.

Being the perfect Gentleman and opening the gate the other evening for my hardworking

girl friend returning home from work.

I stood on something, looked down to see the tail of a scorpion profusely stabbing the side soul of my flip flop.

................aaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhh!

Edited by Faz

You should think about installing a dashcam. I've heard many farangs walking away from an accident without having to pay for anything (unless they were at fault of course) because they had footage of the incident and the police could review it.

And one pointing behind you, and perhaps one to each side as well ph34r.png

I try not to drive at night any more and I have a front and rear dash cam in my car which has already saved me money. My last encounter with a motorcycle was when riding my bicycle in early evening. I have lights and MC mirrors on my bicycle. Checked my mirrors and getting ready to change to right lane to make a turn when a beep behind me and a MC zoomed past out of the blackness with no lights. I was totally surprised and so angry I chased him down and berated him loudly and angrily for driving at night with no lights. He protested he had "no money! no money!" to fix his lights. Bulbs cost max about 30 baht. And he was smoking a cigarette. I suppose I should be thankful he beeped to warn me. He should be thankful I didn't punch him out.

You should flick your highbeams before such a maneuver next time.

That could get you in deep, deep trouble.

No it can't. It is standard practice when overtaking at night in Thailand.

The problem wouldn't be with the guy he was overtaking.

I have had such incidences on the Thai roads. I would rather ride my big bike than drive my car. If you drive or ride protect yourself with a camera. I have one on the bike & a front & rear camera in the car. Video evidence is hard to dispute. Safe motoring!!!!

In Thailand I try to never drive at night. I arrange my trips so my arrival time is before dark. If I am driving long distances I stop at hotels half way. I also try to avoid the Bangkok rush hours. It's all about planning and avoiding dangerous places and times.

I however drive day and night in all other countries but Thailand is just too dangerous !

I try not to drive at night any more and I have a front and rear dash cam in my car which has already saved me money. My last encounter with a motorcycle was when riding my bicycle in early evening. I have lights and MC mirrors on my bicycle. Checked my mirrors and getting ready to change to right lane to make a turn when a beep behind me and a MC zoomed past out of the blackness with no lights. I was totally surprised and so angry I chased him down and berated him loudly and angrily for driving at night with no lights. He protested he had "no money! no money!" to fix his lights. Bulbs cost max about 30 baht. And he was smoking a cigarette. I suppose I should be thankful he beeped to warn me. He should be thankful I didn't punch him out.

You should be thankful you didn't follow up on your impulse. The automatic response of Thais when they see a falang getting into it with a Thai is to rush to help the Thai. They just don't have the Western culture of "fair fights" one on one, they will just pile in. I've seen a couple of falangs on Loi Kroh who learned that the hard way.

i thought i was the only one here backward and slow

as i have been here about 14 years and still havent mastered them bloody rubber bands

and wife has to do . with a smile on her face thinking stupid frang

thanks people made my day

Things that make me go aaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhh in LOS:

Salesmen who go off to check something for you and never come back.

T

Standing on an elephants shit.

Slipping in it is worse...................rolleyes.gif

T

What's worse is standing where the elephant is just about to shit.

T

T

I bet it is.

People pausing at the top of escalators.

Taxi fares that change when it rains.

Rain that brings alligators

The fact that "On" is off again

My Phat Thai arrives without the egg.

Taxi drivers without change.

Farangs on the street who beg.

The fact that "On" is off once again

Sitting somewhere, minding my own beer, when a guy with an elephant, that is in heat or is just having a bad day, starts asking for money............as the elephant stares me down.

Makes me go.........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

Edited by slipperylobster

So “On” is On and off we go, hopefully “in or out” or Inn

Firstly “hair must do”, so adjourn to the milla

So off On goes, she’ll soon be ready for this “old has been”

But “On ...its mirror...... with an aaaargh”

Feeling, loose and young without a care

Before we go one dink for “Pom” another for “Ma”

“I know no Englishmen, why are you scare”

Besides which, none in tea or coffee but drink is spelt with aaaargh

T

Looking for something in Global House or Home Pro which always has loads of floor staff, but never in the area that you are looking ( all chatting near checkout ).

You should flick your highbeams before such a maneuver next time.

And dazzle the driver in front via his rear view mirror(s)

I wouldn't worry about that!. Flashed headlights in Thailand means I'm coming through.

Flashed headlights in UK means you are letting someone out or through. It took me a while to adjust to that the first time driving in TL