Crusading Phuketwan Website Shuts Down as Journalists Face Thai Court

Lite Beer

Yangon/Rangoon is not the capital of Myanmar.

I know. To know that new capital (Naypyidaw) would have gone to far, by far!!!blink.png

Also when I started asking such a question - 1990 - there was no such new capital in the mind of anybody.

That is why I mentioned it and meant, it would be ok for me as an answer.

Understood now? coffee1.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are these criminal defamation charges still in place?

Thai officials prosecuted for human trafficking

Bangkok, Thailand 2015-01-30

BANGKOK: -- More than a dozen Thai government officials -- including senior policemen and a navy officer -- are being prosecuted for human trafficking, junta officials said Friday, as they vowed "zero tolerance" of the trade.

Songsak Saicheua, a foreign ministry official, said at least 15 police officers were facing prosecution, alongside a Royal Thai Navy officer, two local administration officials and a social worker.

when face saving becomes paramount: the fine line that distinguishes that of prosecution, from persecution, becomes somewhat indistinct

Yangon/Rangoon is not the capital of Myanmar.

I know. To know that new capital (Naypyidaw) would have gone to far, by far!!!blink.png

Also when I started asking such a question - 1990 - there was no such new capital in the mind of anybody.

That is why I mentioned it and meant, it would be ok for me as an answer.

Understood now? coffee1.gif

Understood then. It was just that my mind happened to be wandering towards things Myanmar at the time, and I was too bone idle to Google the spelling of Naypyidaw. Thanks!?

If these two are convicted I hope the international community goes crazy with a torrential deluge of criticism for weeks on end.

It won't happen.

Of course after the trial there will be a great wailing and outbursts against the Thai government by the human rights, freedom of the press, the UN, the USA, the UK et al and after a few days it will just fade away as most thing do when something else comes along.

The world will still turn, business will still happen, people will still come on holiday to Thailand and 99% of the people in the world still won't care and they will carry on their lives as normal. It won't affect them at all no matter who protests and how much they do so.

People are being killed on a daily basis all over the world, people are starving, people have no water, there are minor wars going on all over the world and the fate of two journalists in a small country in the far east is of absolutely NO interest to them at all.

I am not being cynical simply realistic.

If these two are convicted I hope the international community goes crazy with a torrential deluge of criticism for weeks on end.

It won't happen.

Of course after the trial there will be a great wailing and outbursts against the Thai government by the human rights, freedom of the press, the UN, the USA, the UK et al and after a few days it will just fade away as most thing do when something else comes along.

The world will still turn, business will still happen, people will still come on holiday to Thailand and 99% of the people in the world still won't care and they will carry on their lives as normal. It won't affect them at all no matter who protests and how much they do so.

People are being killed on a daily basis all over the world, people are starving, people have no water, there are minor wars going on all over the world and the fate of two journalists in a small country in the far east is of absolutely NO interest to them at all.

Indeed it is a splendid thing that the world has a lot of decent and caring people rather than too many uncaring cynics as displayed in the post above . I have to tell you Mr Billd that the free societies abroad will care about the fate of the two unfortunate Burmese

It won't happen.

It has happened. Multiple journalist associations and human rights groups have spoken out.

I don't think this will fade away as quickly as you think, Phuketwan has been the sole outlet on Phuket to highlight the rampant local corruption, all the while being a positive booster of Phuket and Thailand. It may not be a polished outlet, but it has been one of the only reliable sources of news on Phuket for the past few years. Anyone who knows how far and deep the corruption is on Phuket will understand why Phuketwan must be silenced.

Yes, people die all over the world. Yes, the vast majority of people who visit Phuket won't care, let alone even know what Phuketwan is. However, I draw your attention to atrocities and abuses that have occurred in far flung places in the world. No one in Africa or the Arab countries cared about the slaughter of Christian Africans in Darfur. The west did and the cries of horror grew into action. The same for Eritrea. The abuse of native peoples in Canada and Australia were ignored by the majority for a long time, but the cries of a few changed attitudes and brought about a response. Journalists were beaten and tortured in Peru and Honduras. You probably never heard about it. A few human rights groups did and they intervened. it took some time but they persevered.

The most profitable and important export markets for Thailand are the USA and the EU. It just so happens, these countries link human rights to trade. If Thailand values access to these markets, it will have to behave. Thailand doesn't sell its profitable products to China or Russia.

nobody can find Thailand on a map... next.

well for sure americans canttongue.png

Nor can most Thais. Ask a Thai to name the countries which border Thailand - very few can tell you.

Thainess at its best.

the fact that you only know uneducated Thai people has nothing to do with Thainess. it says more about your lifestyle and your limited knowledge of Thai people

'... the Royal Thai Navy only laid charges over the Phuketwan republication, prompting widespread criticism that it has singled out a small independent news outlet ...' Well, they were hardly likely to try it on with Reuters, were they?

'... use of the Computer Crime Act in the case was particularly troubling because it was the first time that one of Thailand's armed services had used it ...' It's probably a tactic to divert attention away from the Chinese sub farce.

'... the Royal Thai Navy only laid charges over the Phuketwan republication, prompting widespread criticism that it has singled out a small independent news outlet ...' Well, they were hardly likely to try it on with Reuters, were they?

'... use of the Computer Crime Act in the case was particularly troubling because it was the first time that one of Thailand's armed services had used it ...' It's probably a tactic to divert attention away from the Chinese sub farce.

what a load of BS, Look st the timeline

Related topic:

Trial opens for journalists charged with defaming Thai navy
By THANYARAT DOKSONE

PHUKET, Thailand (AP) — Testimony has started in a criminal defamation lawsuit the Thai navy has filed against a small news website over a report it posted alleging naval forces accepted money to abet or turn a blind eye to the trafficking of refugees from Myanmar.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/840295-trial-opens-for-journalists-charged-with-defaming-thai-navy/

It won't happen.

Indeed it is a splendid thing that the world has a lot of decent and caring people rather than too many uncaring cynics as displayed in the post above . I have to tell you Mr Billd that the free societies abroad will care about the fate of the two unfortunate Burmese

This thread is about the 2 Phuketwan journalists, one who is Australian and the other is Thai. Where did you come up with two Burmese Myanmar people?

I am sure that you believe that but go out onto any street in any country in the world and ask the first 100 people what they think of the situation regarding the two journalists. Don't explain up front about them as ALL the newspapers and TV chanels worldwide are supposedly carrying the story. Let them answer without ANY prompting then come back and tell me how many people know about it.

Ask the question in Greece, Italy, France and see the response. Ask in any Middle East country or Africa but ask the people on the street first.

It won't happen.

This thread is about the 2 Phuketwan journalists, one who is Australian and the other is Thai. Where did you come up with two Burmese Myanmar people?

I am sure that you believe that but go out onto any street in any country in the world and ask the first 100 people what they think of the situation regarding the two journalists. Don't explain up front about them as ALL the newspapers and TV chanels worldwide are supposedly carrying the story. Let them answer without ANY prompting then come back and tell me how many people know about it.

Ask the question in Greece, Italy, France and see the response. Ask in any Middle East country or Africa but ask the people on the street first.

Asking people on the street in Thailand will get the same result as asking in France.

Thai defamation trial opens for journalists over trafficking report

BANGKOK- Two journalists, including an Australian editor, went on trial in Thailand Tuesday over a report they published implicating the navy in human trafficking, as the United Nations urged the junta-ruled nation to drop the case.

Alan Morison and his Thai colleague Chutima Sidasathian of the Phuketwan news website could face up to two years in jail for criminal defamation and five years for breaching the Computer Crimes Act if they are found guilty.

The charges, brought last year, relate to an article in July 2013 by Phuketwan quoting an investigation by Reuters news agency which said some members of the Thai navy were involved in trafficking Rohingya Muslim asylum-seekers who had fled Myanmar.

Reuters has not been charged over its reporting -- part of a series honoured with a Pulitzer Prize last year -- and rights groups have accused the navy of trying to muzzle a small media outlet.

The trial, which opened at Phuket Provincial Court on the southern island Tuesday, is expected to begin with testimony from four witnesses called by the prosecutors and a verdict is due within 30 days.

Speaking to AFP ahead of the trial, Morison said: "We do not understand why the military government has not withdrawn the case.

"The initial pursuits against Reuters were dropped. We quote exactly the same paragraph... (They are pursuing us) for only one paragraph reproduced word-to-word from Reuters."

On Tuesday the United Nations Human Rights Office urged Thailand to drop the charges against the two journalists.

"Freedom of the press, including freedom for journalists to operate without fear of reprisals, is essential in promoting transparency and accountability on issues of public interest," it said in a statement.

Tens of thousands of the stateless Rohingya, one of the world’s most persecuted minorities, have fled Buddhist-majority Myanmar’s western Rakhine state since 2012, when deadly unrest erupted.

In recent years they have increasingly been joined on dangerous sea crossings by economic migrants from neighbouring Bangladesh with their rickety wooden boats mainly headed for Malaysia.

In May a Thai crackdown on the lucrative smuggling industry saw traffickers abandon their human cargo at sea, sparking a regional migrant crisis.

Around 4,500 Rohingya and Bangladeshi migrants were stranded in Southeast Asian waters and ping-ponged between countries reluctant to accept them until they eventually landed ashore on Malaysian, Indonesian, Bangladeshi, Myanmar and Thai soil.

Thailand has seen a rapid erosion of civil liberties -- including a ban on political protests and any criticism of the ruling regime -- since the military seized power from an elected government in May 2014.

Its southern provinces have long been known as a nexus for people-trafficking and rights groups have accused Thai officials of both turning a blind eye to the trade -- and even complicity in it.

Dozens of people have been detained in the recent crackdown including some local officials and Manas Kongpan, a senior military officer accused of being a major smuggling kingpin.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Thai-defamation-trial-opens-for-journalists-over-t-30264410.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-14

I'm in Australia at the moment and watched a brilliant ABC documentary on Thailand's involvement in human trafficking particularly the Royinga many of whom were killed and burried near the Thai Malaysian border. Both of these journalists were part of the program and they brought forward eyewitnesses who took them to the graves of the dead. These witnesses put their own lives at risk in coming forward from fear of the Thai authorities (police, local administrators, army etc).

It beggars belief that Thai government heirarchy are so insecure and lame that they are allowing this trial to go ahead. I don't hold out much hope for a good outcome in this trial since Thais find it impossible to lose face and will find some justification for their disgusting tactics. I don't hold much faith in the Australian govt. doing much either.

Good luck to them...they will need it.

just my 2 cents worth

It appears that all foreigners commenting on this issue are negative of Thailand.

Why don't you move to another country. You are all guests of Thailand.

Because there is no "Freedom of Speech" in Thailand?

But what about people, Thai or Farang who can't afford to move to another country?

Thai people (and poor Farang living in Thailand) should just shut their mouths?

When do you begin?

It appears that all foreigners commenting on this issue are negative of Thailand.

Why don't you move to another country. You are all guests of Thailand.

Because there is no "Freedom of Speech" in Thailand?

But what about people, Thai or Farang who can't afford to move to another country?

Thai people (and poor Farang living in Thailand) should just shut their mouths?

When do you begin?

poor farang living in Thailand should go back to their home country

""threatens the right to freedom of opinion and expression that is supposed to be the bedrock of Thailand's democratic society."

What democratic society? It disappeared a couple of years ago when the army took over and there is no right to opinion and expression anymore. They even want to give jounalists lessons on how to ask questions that dont offend the rulers !!

Really ?.

It seems to me that we are getting a LOT more articles which are critical of the government than I ever saw against Pheu-Thai despite their absolutely outrageous actions while in government.

A thinking man would put it down to the fact that Mr T and his pals have cronies in every organisation which might be useful. In Thailand virtually everyone can be bought. As we saw with the 310:0 amnesty vote.

Is that 'freedom of expression' you miss ?. Along with the right to be blown up by their UDD thugs throwing grenades if you look like you are going threaten their power ?.

In your naivety, I expect you think this would never have happened before the coup. The reality is that there is far more chance the government will take action now than there ever was before.

Huh? The Nation was spouting anti Thaksin and Peu-Thai stories for years. Still do...why do u think they partnered with Thaivisa? Spread the word and all that.

Without the Nations continued scrutiny (normally very one eyed) of peu Thai, most farangs wouldn't have a clue what who the hell Thaksin was.

Having been accused of defamation via the internet in Thailand, standard OP was to accuse everyone attached to the entire discussion thread, supportive or not. All those supporting the govt action on these threads where people criticise the govt, bib, or any other corrupt politician realise they too can be hauled up for the discussion that goes on here and PROVE their innocence.

Just by participating, liking or sharing these discussions you are open to accusations under Thai law. How thaivisa gets away with god knows.

It won't happen.

You are not being realistic , you are being cold and cynical.

If you think press freedom does not matter you obviously never tune into Al Jazeera. When their journalists were punished and imprisoned in Egypt under very similar circumstances they broadcast every hour every day on the subject. No No No Mr Billd, the issue of press freedom will not go away no matter how much you wish. Outside Thailand the issue is alive and well.

It won't happen.

thumbsup.gif

An excellent summation of the realities of the current world as it is and that some members obviously struggle to reconcile with.

Not sure who is struggling Alwym, the world is full of humanitarian people as opposed to a handful of cynics. Can you remember " Live Aid?" people do care, it is just you have not noticed yet. Can you see how hard everyone is working to save Greece from themselves. Yes Alwym, the world is in fact a beautiful place. We care now and always will. Cynicism is legal, it can be funny but it is a minority.

Can you remember " Live Aid?" people do care

We care now and always will.

I eagerly await the World Concert aiming to save millions of people dying from starvation in sub-Saharan Africa a few hundred readers of a local newspaper on a tourist resort island.

rolleyes.gif

The point is Alwyn,taking Bob Geldhof as an example, he rallied millions of caring people. When the cynics have their concert I reckon they will get at least 20 people to show up,maybe 30 if it is a fine day. People do care and it is a beautiful world. I should add that happiness is good for the immune system, try it sometime and you will be amazed how much your health improves.