US TV reporter and cameraman fatally shot during live report in Virginia

webfact

I just saw on TV that the perp's car was ID'd by a license plate reader. Cool tool.

When the trooper in a car got the call to watch for the perp the license plate was given. When the trooper entered that number into the car's equipment it told the trooper that the perp's car had been passed just minutes before. A chase ensued, the perp crashed and was found dead of his own gunshot wound in his car.

Is there no end to tech...?

That's been around quite a while actually. Is a slow roll getting this tech folded into our society, pausing to let it become "normal" before the next one.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, the shooting was racially motivated, but CNN and the mainstream media seem to be covering that up. Surprise, huh? http://heavy.com/news/2015/08/lester-lee-flanagan-flanighan-flanigan-wdbj-tv-disgruntled-employee-virginia-shooting-suspect-cameraman-photos-video-chase-gun-gunman-arrested/

Insanity-motivated is more accurate.

sad story, how socially dismal it must be there.

Indeed.

Are you just opining about this particular town in Virginia, or the entire US of A?

Only this area as it would be ridiculous to paint the entire country with a dismal brush. It's a nation of contrasts and seems to being going through a socially challenging time.

sad story, how socially dismal it must be there.

Indeed.

Are you just opining about this particular town in Virginia, or the entire US of A?

Only this area as it would be ridiculous to paint the entire country with a dismal brush. It's a nation of contrasts and seems to being going through a socially challenging time.

I agree, although I've never been there so I can't comment on the social make up of the town. Guv made it sound like a beautiful weekend/vacation spot but we know through life experience, that as soon as you involve humans and all their baggage, bad s**t can happen anywhere.

I just saw on TV that the perp's car was ID'd by a license plate reader. Cool tool.

When the trooper in a car got the call to watch for the perp the license plate was given. When the trooper entered that number into the car's equipment it told the trooper that the perp's car had been passed just minutes before. A chase ensued, the perp crashed and was found dead of his own gunshot wound in his car.

Is there no end to tech...?

That's been around quite a while actually. Is a slow roll getting this tech folded into our society, pausing to let it become "normal" before the next one.

The Surveillance State. Yeah, let's bring on the next level of authoritarian snooping. Can't wait.

But let's focus a bit more on our borders?

Edited by MaxYakov

Apparently, the shooting was racially motivated, but CNN and the mainstream media seem to be covering that up. Surprise, huh? http://heavy.com/news/2015/08/lester-lee-flanagan-flanighan-flanigan-wdbj-tv-disgruntled-employee-virginia-shooting-suspect-cameraman-photos-video-chase-gun-gunman-arrested/

Indeed when gay black man with a chip on his shoulder murders two people in cold blood the usual progressive hashtags don't work. But hey presto watch them turn it into a gun control issue.

A gay black man with a chip on his shoulder may not have been able to murder those people with a knife. Or a car. Or even a chip.

Of course it's reasonable to ask how people with a history of violence can get a gun so easily.

And don't give me the shit about how existing gun laws should suffice, they need infrastructure and manpower and those NRA a-holes always make sure that funding for that doesn't happen.

A Police Officer was shot and killed last week in SoCal.

Nothing from the WH/Obama.

Then today....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/white-house-says-virginia-tv-shooting-points-to-need-for-gun-control/ar-BBm7xwO

Shameless opportunist.

Hillary also jumped in well before the bodies were even cold.

Geez, can you at least wait until they are buried?

This story is on every news station in America and thus with the White House press corps.

So maybe the reporters are being "opportunist"?

rolleyes.gif

Indeed when gay black man with a chip on his shoulder murders two people in cold blood the usual progressive hashtags don't work. But hey presto watch them turn it into a gun control issue.

A gay black man with a chip on his shoulder may not have been able to murder those people with a knife. Or a car. Or even a chip.

Of course it's reasonable to ask how people with a history of violence can get a gun so easily.

And don't give me the shit about how existing gun laws should suffice, they need infrastructure and manpower and those NRA a-holes always make sure that funding for that doesn't happen.

Thanks for proving my point, gun control it is. Had a black man or gay man been murdered by a non minority individual the hashtags would have taken center stage not the guns.

Thanks for proving my point, gun control it is. Had a black man or gay man been murdered by a non minority individual the hashtags would have taken center stage not the guns.

That would depend on whether or not they were a cop.

When that madmen shot up the church, there was similar discussion of how he got the gun.

It suits the NRA to have criminals (black or otherwise) with guns because it justifies their existence.

But this will fade off the news cycle in a week and it will be back to normal until the next nutjob shots up a school/mall/cinema/ etc.

Edited by Chicog

I dont know what is worst when it comes to the US, the school massacres or this live killing on national TV. All of the tragedies and loss of lifes could have been prevented if US changed their gun laws.

In Europe you can not just show up in a gun store and present your ID and just get a gun , its not that simple. You need to apply to get a special permission and also go through a background check. Sad to see that the US never learns .

I happened to read this news about the same time I was reading about the Thai female student who died after being severely beaten/assaulted by a group of older classmates, and the first doctor who saw her apparently diagnosed her as having allergies.

As an American, it's these kind of gun crimes in the U.S., along with all the other similar ones, that make me feel sick for my home country that it continues to allow such senseless gun violence by making it so easy for all kinds of people, including unstable ones, to get handguns.

But at least in the U.S., the shooter, if he survives, will undoubtedly be prosecuted and convicted and be sent to prison for real. If only I could have the same expectation for the students who killed their classmate and the Thai doctor who apparently seriously mis-diagnosed her, but I'm afraid they're likely to go unpunished, as happens far too often here.

In one country, we fail to prevent senseless crimes, while in the other country, we far too often fail to punish those who have committed them. Hard to decide which place is more pathetic.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

HRC already going on about gun availability, no respect at all, gutless shrew trying to make political capital before the bodies are even cold. Why wasn't she bleating on about gun control when the little black girls was shot by another black a few weeks ago?

HRC already going on about gun availability, no respect at all, gutless shrew trying to make political capital before the bodies are even cold. Why wasn't she bleating on about gun control when the little black girls was shot by another black a few weeks ago?

She is advocating tighter gun control on a consistent basis.

Was she asked about it by reporters?

It's easy to do something about the laws, the democrats wants a change and maybe now is the time to do it. According to CNN there are several loop holes in the law so even mentally ill persons can buy a gun. Obviously this guy was mentallly ill and what about his employer who knew about his sick behaviour 2 years ago ? They had to call the police when he was fired from the TV station.

Edited by balo

It's easy to do something about the laws, the democrats wants a change and maybe now is the time to do it. According to CNN there are several loop holes in the law so even mentally ill persons can buy a gun. Obviously this guy was mentallly ill and what about his employer who knew about his sick behaviour 2 years ago ? They had to call the police when he was fired from the TV station.

Probably a bit harsh to suggest that his employer should bear some responsibility even if they did have to call the police on the previous occasion. They could hardly have predicted that he would reappear two years later and do what he did yesterday. He was clearly mentally ill, if he wasn't it doesn't say much for the rest of us! He obviously planned the whole thing in his warped mind, he made what was essentially a 'snuff movie', and then posted it straight onto the internet, where sadly there are plenty of people who are all too willing to indulge him and watch it. Now that he has been seen to be successful just wait for the copycats, because that will surely happen.

As for some on here who immediately try to make this a race issue, that says a lot about them. The colour of his skin and his sexuality were surely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, he was just another madman living out his fantasy. To be honest i think there are more than a few on here, (who of course will never admit it), who are frustrated and desperately disappointed that he wasn't a Muslim.

I would approve of laws that allow employers to flag certain people as workplace violence high risk but there would need to be a process where that was legally verified as a reasonable charge. Then such laws could be used to deny guns and take away current guns. Makes sense to me. But if there wasn't a process it could be abused by employers to stigmatize anyone over nothing. Being perceived as high risk for doing a crime is not the same thing as doing a crime ... so I can see many would see this is as a troubling slippery slope. Workplace violence is a known problem. This would be something to address it.

As far as his double minority identity status, I don't doubt that impacted on his mental state and there is also no doubt the perp indeed had crossed the line into violent insanity. Whether he ever had any legitimate legal beefs with employers or not (I tend to doubt it) racism and homophobia in the USA are still real things so he wasn't imagining that ... but sadly he wasn't capable of dealing with it.

I do fear as the U.S. is a country with no national non-discrimination laws based on sexual orientation, that a high profile incident such as this may be seen by some employers as a rationalization to avoid hiring gay people. There are such legal protections already based on race. The next frontiers of the U.S. GLBT civil rights movement include lobbying for national non-discrimination protections in basic matters of employment and housing, etc. These horrible murders not only killed two and injured one ... his high profile acts will at least temporarily negatively impact a national civil rights movement. That is of course totally not fair ... that the acts of one insane person can be used this way ... but that's how I see it, they will.

Edited by Jingthing

As for some on here who immediately try to make this a race issue, that says a lot about them. The colour of his skin and his sexuality were surely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, he was just another madman living out his fantasy. To be honest i think there are more than a few on here, (who of course will never admit it), who are frustrated and desperately disappointed that he wasn't a Muslim.

Speechless about your comments, but you have shown time and time again that you have a chip on your shoulder as to anything US.

RE: Race

Here is part of his comments faxed to a TV station:

As for Dylann Roof? You (deleted)! You want a race war (deleted)? BRING IT THEN YOU WHITE (deleted)!!!

I would approve of laws that allow employers to flag certain people as workplace violence high risk but there would need to be a process where that was legally verified as a reasonable charge. Then such laws could be used to deny guns and take away current guns. Makes sense to me. But if there wasn't a process it could be abused by employers to stigmatize anyone over nothing. Being perceived as high risk for doing a crime is not the same thing as doing a crime ... so I can see many would see this is as a troubling slippery slope. Workplace violence is a known problem. This would be something to address it.

As far as his double minority identity status, I don't doubt that impacted on his mental state and there is also no doubt the perp indeed had crossed the line into violent insanity. Whether he ever had any legitimate legal beefs with employers or not (I tend to doubt it) racism and homophobia in the USA are still real things so he wasn't imagining that ... but sadly he wasn't capable of dealing with it.

I do fear as the U.S. is a country with no national non-discrimination laws based on sexual orientation, that a high profile incident such as this may be seen by some employers as a rationalization to avoid hiring gay people. There are such legal protections already based on race. The next frontiers of the U.S. GLBT civil rights movement include lobbying for national non-discrimination protections in basic matters of employment and housing, etc. These horrible murders not only killed two and injured one ... his high profile acts will at least temporarily negatively impact a national civil rights movement. That is of course totally not fair ... that the acts of one insane person can be used this way ... but that's how I see it, they will.

I don't think an incident like this will impact hiring policies as it relates to sexual orientation. May cause more vigorous background checks and etc.

This is just a horribly sad incident. No different than that loser racist POS slaying innocent good people in that church . . . Except our racist President goes public, stirs the race pot and shows up at funerals when white on black crime.

Speechless about your comments, but you have shown time and time again that you have a chip on your shoulder as to anything US.

As for Dylann Roof? You (deleted)! You want a race war (deleted)? BRING IT THEN YOU WHITE (deleted)!!!

What on earth are you ranting on about? What has this story got to do with Dylan Roof? "Time and time again that you have a chip on your shoulder as to anything US"? Care to elaborate? Are you seriously suggesting that this latest shooting is a race issue? The only one who appears top have a chip on his shoulder is you!

That would depend on whether or not they were a cop.

When that madmen shot up the church, there was similar discussion of how he got the gun.

It suits the NRA to have criminals (black or otherwise) with guns because it justifies their existence.

But this will fade off the news cycle in a week and it will be back to normal until the next nutjob shots up a school/mall/cinema/ etc.

I know, huh! The US media forgot all about the Bangkok bombing.

What on earth are you ranting on about? What has this story got to do with Dylan Roof? "Time and time again that you have a chip on your shoulder as to anything US"? Care to elaborate? Are you seriously suggesting that this latest shooting is a race issue? The only one who appears top have a chip on his shoulder is you!

Lol, perhaps you should look into subject matter before commenting in such a fashion.

I quoted the shooter, Flannigan's written comments about why he killed the 2 reporters.

---------

In the 23-page document faxed to ABC News, the writer says MY NAME IS BRYCE WILLIAMS and his legal name is Vester Lee Flanagan II. He writes what triggered todays carnage was his reaction to the racism of the Charleston church shooting:

What sent me over the top was the church shooting. And my hollow point bullets have the victims initials on them."

It is unclear whose initials he is referring to. He continues, As for Dylann Roof? You (deleted)! You want a race war (deleted)? BRING IT THEN YOU WHITE (deleted)!!! He said Jehovah spoke to him, telling him to act.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/shooting-alleged-gunman-details-grievances-suicide-notes/story?id=33336339

You might want to study up a bit before posting. The shooter made remarks on social media regarding Dylan Roof. The shooter was FBI profiled as an "un-injustice seeker". No chip, just the facts. Try checking them next time.

Edited by Shot