Korat’s five reservoirs are only 28 percent full despite rains from Vamco

Lite Beer

Korat’s five reservoirs are only 28 percent full despite rains from Vamco

IMG_20150920_160849-wpcf_728x413.jpg

KORAT: -- Despite heavy rains brought by Vamco depression, five reservoirs in Nakhon Ratchasima managed to store water amounting to 28 percent of their full capacities.

Mr Chidchanok Somprasert, director of Zone 8 irrigaition office, said the five reservoirs namely Lam Taklong, Lam Phraploeng, Lam Sae, Nam Moon Bon and Lam Plaimat stored altogether 364.71 million cubic metres as of September 19 – an addition of 73.48 million cubic metres from September 14 – against the full capacities of 1,175 million cubic metres.

He admitted that the amount of water stored in the five reservoirs are still regarded as very low compared to the same period last year when the amount was 592.19 million cubic metres.

The five reservoirs release a combined amount of 6.78 million cubic metres of water a day for consumption purpose.

Mr Chidchanok said he is still hoping for more storms to bring more rains to fill up the five reservoirs.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/korats-five-reservoirs-are-only-28-percent-full-despite-rains-from-vamco

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-20

That's only 54 days of water supply at the stated release rate and assuming that the entire stored amount is usable.

It may not be usable as quite a bit of the volume will be sediment at the bottom of the reservoir. The article was unclear on this point. There are only about 40 more days left for this wet season. It' looking pretty grim at this point.

If its yellow it's mellow,if brown flush it down,words to live by this year,it's how we do it in California , right now,drought conditions throughout

I have lived as a conservationist environmentalist most of my life. Had you posted this say 3 years ago the neat freaks and the 3 times a day shower guys would have come out of the closet swinging. My how times have changed. Maybe drought can be a good teacher. For added fun shower with a friend preferably of the female variety. I do.

Edited by elgordo38

That's only 54 days of water supply at the stated release rate and assuming that the entire stored amount is usable.

It may not be usable as quite a bit of the volume will be sediment at the bottom of the reservoir. The article was unclear on this point. There are only about 40 more days left for this wet season. It' looking pretty grim at this point.

Even disregarding the accumulated sediment, a large proportion of water stored in reservoirs is classed "dead storage" as it is below the outflow point and to all intents and purposes cannot be used, unless pumped.

But you touch on an important issue with the sediment comment, as many Thai reservoirs were built back in the 1960s, 70s and 80s and have been steadily filling up with sediments ever since. Yet if you look at the stats given by RID officials about the storage volumes of the reservoirs (usually in an attempt to make it seem like they know what they are talking about and to assuage public concerns), they always give the original storage volumes on construction (which were often exaggerated in the first place), rather than taking into account sedimentation rates over time. Hence, there may be a growing issue of declining storage capacity nationwide in reservoirs, at a time of increasing demand and mismanagement of existing resources, irrespective of any climate or hydrological changes in river run-off.

make sure you have enough for SONGKRAN.

I suspect you're kidding, but before all the Songkran Grinches pile on...

Given that it takes about 2.5 tons of water to grow 1 Kg of rice, I have resolved to forgo one small bowl of rice next week to compensate for all the water that's been thrown on me in the last 4 years of Songkran, and all the water that's likely to be thrown on me in my lifetime.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jan/10/how-much-water-food-production-waste

http://www.knowledgebank.irri.org/ericeproduction/III.1_Water_usage_in_rice.htm

BTW, I'm not a big fan of the way Songkran is celebrated with massive buckets of water being thrown on the willing an non-willing alike. But it ain't because it's a waste of precious water...

Edited by impulse

must be a LEAK somewhere.

please let us know when we are down to 8%.

so i can bath in cider.tongue.png

NO KIDDING there is a water pipe behind us running alongside a busy road,it has been repaired many times the last being 6weeks ago.

well its burst again 4days ago and the road is like a lake. i expect they have run out of sticky tape.