The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

I have many previous entries on Visa Exemption, my last one was in July last year. After that I have had one regular tourist visa with one re-entry. And now I`m near the end of my first METV.

Would it be safe for me to arrive next time on a Visa Exemption?

But after my next trip then I will be able apply for a non immigrant o multi entry at my local embassy.

I would expect your plan to be OK, but without a 100% guarantee. I have never been able to figure out what triggers the alert from the immigration computer on visa exempt entries. If there is an alert, you would likely end up talking to a supervisor and need to satisfy him/her that you have financial resources to support yourself in Thailand without working.

Please report back on your experiences.

Forgot too mention, I got an alert last July at the Immigration booth and got questioned a little bit before the officer stamped me in. "Next time you come you need Tourist Visa ok?" He said....

I`m a frequent traveler and work in oil and gas offshore in the north sea. I do about 7 trips to Thailand every year, typical 21-23 days on each stay.

I can't see why you need a tourist visa. Looks like you are perfect for visa exemption. You should look into if there are any restrictions with TE.

Nah, many of us frequent travelers have been stopped and questioned....

To be honest I`m not a regular tourist, I come here to relax and stay with my missus. Living a boring every day life biggrin.png But we are taking the trip to Amphur next month and then it will be easy for me to get a non imm o multi entry based on marriage in my home country. Peace of mind for me and her I guess smile.png

Edited by Namplik

I have many previous entries on Visa Exemption, my last one was in July last year. After that I have had one regular tourist visa with one re-entry. And now I`m near the end of my first METV.

But after my next trip then I will be able apply for a non immigrant o multi entry at my local embassy.

You should be ok. The worst that is likely to happen would be questions about what you do in Thailand, and maybe a warning to get a visa for the next entry. It is highly unlikely you would be denied entry.

What is the 'enter before' date printed on your visa? If you make your next entry on or before this date you will be granted another 60 day stay that can be extended by 30 days.

Yes I know...

Enter before may 26, but I`m still in Thailand. Going back to my old country for work on Monday, and my next entry at BKK is on may 31. So I could not utilize this METV maximum.

When does your current permission to stay expire? If it's after May 31st you could use a re-entry permit for the trip home.

The fact that you've had tourist visas since being warned you would probably be ok with another visa exempt entry. It will be at the discretion of the IO. In the event that you were denied entry you could fly to a neighbouring country and get a tourist visa.

There are alerts that trigger now after 6 entries. Weather they pick up on it who knows.

They did with me and told me to get a Visa next time.

I would think if a METV ran out, and you went back to Visa exempt, you would be fine since you broke the cycle of the exempts.

I am in the UK and have a UK passport. I went to get a METV last week. I took my documents into the consulate and had the visa stuck in my passport 20 minutes later. The lady there was really friendly and was a good experience. I had to pay an extra £10 for same day issue. She mentioned to me that she hasn't issued many METV as a lot of people can't show the employment letter.

On another note, a friend of mine who has only one thai entry on his passport travelled to Malaysia via Suwanaphumi, stayed the night in Kuala Lumpa and travelled back the next day. Upon re entry to BKK the immigration officer told him that what he did isn't allowed and next time he has to get a visa. Im not sure if she was having a bad day but it seems a little harsh.

Edited by underso

I am in the UK and have a UK passport. I went to get a METV last week. I took my documents into the consulate and had the visa stuck in my passport 20 minutes later. The lady there was really friendly and was a good experience. I had to pay an extra £10 for same day issue. She mentioned to me that she hasn't issued many METV as a lot of people can't show the employment letter.

Where in the UK did you go? Is the letter from employer a deal breaker? I'll include my SA

I got mine in Hull. If you show your SA i dont think there will be a problem. Best to call first and ask

The SA will be fine with company registration. Its on the application form, i was just interested in the employer letter situation.

...Is the letter from employer a deal breaker? I'll include my SA

SA?

From acronymfinder.com:

Self Assessment, i think its SA100. According to the application form if you are self employed you need to include SA plus Co. Registration doc instead of employers letter. Edited by scubascuba3

On another note, a friend of mine who has only one thai entry on his passport travelled to Malaysia via Suwanaphumi, stayed the night in Kuala Lumpa and travelled back the next day. Upon re entry to BKK the immigration officer told him that what he did isn't allowed and next time he has to get a visa. Im not sure if she was having a bad day but it seems a little harsh.

Back to back in/out visa exempt entries will eventually result in a denied entry. The IO would consider your friend as a 'visa runner' which is no longer allowed.

Back to back in/out visa exempt entries will eventually result in a denied entry. The IO would consider your friend as a 'visa runner' which is no longer allowed.

I had not heard that and never had a problem with it. They just did not like my 6 total in and outs within one year.

So, what is the time frame?

If you stay for 2 days or 3 days, is that enough? Because obviously, not everyone is a Visa runner.

Also, what about all the agencies that offer Visa runs from Pattaya? Maybe because it is an agency then no hassles?

Edited by bkk6060

I had not heard that and never had a problem with it. They just did not like my 6 total in and outs within one year.

So, what is the time frame?

If you stay for 2 days or 3 days, is that enough? Because obviously, not everyone is a Visa runner.

Also, what about all the agencies that offer Visa runs from Pattaya? Maybe because it is an agency then no hassles?

They are targeting those that are trying to live/work here using visa exempt entries. e.g. staying 30 days and doing back to back border hops to extend their stay. I doubt anyone would be able to do that more than 3 times without getting denied entry. Some border crossings have published limits of 90 days a year, some no longer allow in/out visa exempt entries, but otherwise it is at the discretion of the IO.

Using a visa run service wouldn't help.

Edited by elviajero

I would expect your plan to be OK, but without a 100% guarantee. I have never been able to figure out what triggers the alert from the immigration computer on visa exempt entries. If there is an alert, you would likely end up talking to a supervisor and need to satisfy him/her that you have financial resources to support yourself in Thailand without working.

Please report back on your experiences.

Forgot too mention, I got an alert last July at the Immigration booth and got questioned a little bit before the officer stamped me in. "Next time you come you need Tourist Visa ok?" He said....

I`m a frequent traveler and work in oil and gas offshore in the north sea. I do about 7 trips to Thailand every year, typical 21-23 days on each stay.

I can't see why you need a tourist visa. Looks like you are perfect for visa exemption. You should look into if there are any restrictions with TE.

Sounds perfect for a METV!

Yeah, but getting married next month. And then I can apply for a non immigrant o visa based on marriage. Can apply for a 1 year multi entry at my local embassy for the same price as the METV. And about the same requirements also.

Thats a better deal right? biggrin.png

Yeah, but getting married next month. And then I can apply for a non immigrant o visa based on marriage. Can apply for a 1 year multi entry at my local embassy for the same price as the METV. And about the same requirements also.

Thats a better deal right? biggrin.png

You can apply for the multiple entry non-o visa at Savannakhet Laos as soon as you get married. No financial proof will be needed. The visa will cost 5000 baht verses a bad exchange rate at you home country embassy or consulate.

Yes a better deal because the visa is valid for one year and can be stretched to 15 months of total stay. Just get a single entry tourist visa to avoid problems on entry,

A lot of people cant show the employment letter , does this mean these applications, have been rejected .?

METV will cost Thailand lost revenue , just not, acceptable , boxes can be ticked. move on please .wai2.gif

Hello everyone,

Im on a triple entry tourist visa and Im allowed to stay until May 22nd,so I wanna go next thursday (may 19) as 22nd is sunday to extend my third and last entry for one more month.

I never did this before. Im in Chiang Mai. Where should I go to do it? How long does it take? what is the best time of the day to go? Thanks in advance

Hello everyone,

Im on a triple entry tourist visa and Im allowed to stay until May 22nd,so I wanna go next thursday (may 19) as 22nd is sunday to extend my third and last entry for one more month.

I never did this before. Im in Chiang Mai. Where should I go to do it? How long does it take? what is the best time of the day to go? Thanks in advance

You will apply for the 30 day extension at the Promenada office. Location and other info here: Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016

You can go earlier than the 19th and loose nothing because the extension will start from the 22nd. How long it will take depends upon how busy the office is.

I got mine in Hull. If you show your SA i dont think there will be a problem. Best to call first and ask

The SA will be fine with company registration. Its on the application form, i was just interested in the employer letter situation.

why do you say 'with company registration' this is not mentioned on the Hull consulate webpage requirements - only the SA100 (which I have - dont think I have registered my 10 year old UK sole trader company that I pay tax on every year, although i'm not sure)

or

If you are self-employed, a copy of your HMRC SA100 Self Assessment Tax Form for the last tax year.

why do you say 'with company registration' this is not mentioned on the Hull consulate webpage requirements - only the SA100 (which I have - dont think I have registered my 10 year old UK sole trader company that I pay tax on every year, although i'm not sure)

or

If you are self-employed, a copy of your HMRC SA100 Self Assessment Tax Form for the last tax year.

The requirements at the consulate I went to said self assessment and company registration on their website. However, I just provided my SA tax return and that was fine.

• Like 1

I will apply within the next days at the German consulate in Hamburg/Germany and the requested documents are just a bank statement with 5000 euro over the past 6 month a return or onward ticket and at least one hotel booking. No request of employment letter or such so guess they drooped this requirement.

Edited by blueyeshk

Just an update on my arrival in BKK with my METV. I gave the immigration officer my passport and she took a while but stamped it with no questions. One thing I did notice is that she has wrote 1,2,3 on the bottom of the visa and stamped the date next to the number 1. I found that strange as it is not a triple entry visa, I thought the new METV meant we can come and go as many times as we please until the visa expires? Is that correct?

• Like 1

Just an update on my arrival in BKK with my METV. I gave the immigration officer my passport and she took a while but stamped it with no questions. One thing I did notice is that she has wrote 1,2,3 on the bottom of the visa and stamped the date next to the number 1. I found that strange as it is not a triple entry visa, I thought the new METV meant we can come and go as many times as we please until the visa expires? Is that correct?

Yes we can go in and out as much as you want. Not sure why she did that - It doesn't necessarily mean you have only 3 entries though. This didn't happen when I came in though - I just got an entry stamp on the opposite page to the visa.

It is possible that the IO thought you have a triple entry tourist visa. I doubt all IO's are familiar with the METV yet. Regardless of what the IO has written, you can enter as many times as you want until the visa expires.