What do you always bring back with you when you visit home?

jonesyb

Depression on being back here

Why come back ?

wife, seriously thinking of going back for good though

bring wife or leave her here ? If bringing her...then she will be depressed. Thai women (making assumption here) do notoriously poorly outside of Thailand emotionally ...loneliness in missing their Thai friends consumes them

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Socks and underpants (Primark's finest)

Tetley's round teabags

Homepride self-raising flour

Tate & Lyle golden syrup in tins

Sure or Mitchum Max protection cream deodorant

Cadbury's Bournville chocolate

Bassetts jelly babies and liquorice allsorts

Staffy cher oatcakes

Edit: I just saw GuestHouse's post - next time I will be adding Lemsips to my list.

Edited by chickenslegs

A couple pairs of real good quality leather and/or walking shoes and sandals that won't fall apart, also in my size 15.5 us (49 eu).

A couple pairs of real Levi's jeans.

My new prescription glasses done correctly.

A new supply of contact lenses done correctly.

A bad case of blue balls after staying with relatives.

I'm 6ft. I'm going to bring some clothes back with me. And stuff for the gym, water bottles, a new pair of training shoes. All of which seem very expensive here.

I always stock up on sports stuff as well. Last time picked up a pair of Nike from JD Sports back in the UK on a clearance sale for the equivalent of Thb 1000 which were going for Thb 3500 in Bangkok and a pair of Karrimor hikers for Thb1000 plus a load of plain Nike t shirts on sale 3 for a tenner (just over 500 baht). Edited by mca

my brothers just been to visit for a few days and my order was,

pg tips t bags

bisto gravy powder

oxo cubes

calpol for the kids

lemsip powder

birds custerd powder

I can't believe you missed of mushy peas & milk chocolate hobnobs, if anybody turns up without those in their case they're sent back home [emoji15]

Agree about shoes (limited choice for anybody over an 8 or 9), sports gear (especially running shoes, so cheap in the UK) & if it's me that's coming back, a trip to AIX in Liverpool for genuine Armani tops at 1/2-1/4 price.

P.s. Recently found Bisto, Oxo Cubes & Birds Custard in the supermarkets in KL, rumour has it that there's bachelor mushy peas at the Giant near the airport so will have to check that out on my next visit.

No sign of milk chocolate hobnobs though [emoji17]

Edited by JB300

So far this year I've hand carried a variety of stuff back from UK and Australia. Mostly due to having a better selection of high quality products available there. The surprising thing that has changed the most over the years is that many of these products are actually cheaper than the equivalent cr*p available in LOS

Parmesan / Dolcelatte/ extra mature cheddar / Stilton cheeses

Dry cured/smoked back bacon

Wine

Steak / Lamb

Chocolate

Garden tools

Shoes

Socks

Bedding

Kitchenware

DIY tools and hardware

UK Plugs and 13a fuses ( my house has UK style 3 pin outlets )

Quality kids clothes for my neice

Shaving cream / Deodorant sticks

Parts for my BMW / Audi

A Bicycle

Bathroom taps / Showerheads

A vacuum cleaner

Sonus soundbars and iPads

These responses have covered most of what we focus on: socks and underwear, chocolate, nuts, different foods, specific tools, shoes, etc. I'll add a few more specifics though.

-vitamins

-shampoo (different versions in the US; I'm not a Brit)

-kid's snacks: something like fig newtons or pop tarts are imported foods here

-toys: only applies to kids, but Thailand taxes better toys so they cost lots more, just cheap Chinese toys for good value

-swim goggles

-cosmetics: not of interest to me, but apparently better versions get taxed lots here too

It's interesting that tea made other's lists. I'm a tea enthusiast, so I do my best to never drink tea made from a tea bag, which seems to be that point.

We tend to shop for foods a good bit, to an extent that seems crazy, carrying a suitcase full of food back. Cheese usually doesn't make the cut but it would be a really good idea to stash half a kilo of parmesian since the pricing for such a thing here is outrageous. Snacks are kind of different too, so it's nice for my kids to try things like licorice or peppermint patties, which one might find here for triple the ordinary cost.

Books & music-cds, bought on Amazon & sent c/o my sister's house, life simple wouldn't be life without books and music !

Branston, mustard & horseraddish-sauce, all available here in Chiang Mai but at silly prices.

Soups & Asda stew-mixes for my slow-cooker

Oxo-cubes @ 12-for-a-pound from Poundland

Bird's trifle-packs & sponge flan-bases & Angel Delight & Pierce's Blancmange

All of Amazon.com.

When my friends come to visit me, I send an Amazon order to them and they bring it over for me.

My last shopping list:

• Backpack
  • Lifting belt, liquid chalk, cycling shorts, and other athletic clothing/shoes
  • Exercise earbuds
  • Protein bars
  • Reese's pieces
Edited by fishbrando

I normally pop into a German Edeka or Rewe and buy up 50 different types of sauces, potato chips (Balsen) and a lot of tins in the food. When I tell my Mrs that those sauces only cost 50 cents or around 20 Baht she is shocked as Otto sells it on Sukhumvit Soi 20 for 140 Baht.

Sorry this topic is about England but Germany the land of the Krauts isn't that far.

Last time , I flew Jetairways and had 30 kg of bagage allowance , so I brought back over 20 kg of food & snacks.

Spaggetti ! Why pay 3 x as much as back home ?

Real good & cheap potato chips & cornflakes. Mayonaise , jam , peanuts ( much better & cheaper back home) .

Of course CHEESE ( 3 or 4 different ones) !!! Choco, instant soups , curry, mostard.

Spare computerparts . Medicines . Razorblades.

Edited by BuaBS

Dunno, never been back.

It would depend on whether it was for eating or something else. I bring back packets of semolina,

tins of salmon, which are very expensive here. I am now finding that I can buy the things here in Thailand that I could not buy a few years ago in the Uk.

Still can't buy tins of ox tongue in Thailand, so there will always be a few of these.