Are well priced Pattaya resale condos selling now, or not?

Jingthing

Interestingly I very recently received an entirely unsolicited offer on my condo that was within 10% of what I paid for it, even though my condo is not for sale. This surprised me as I always thought I would struggle to get offers at 30% less than what I paid for it.

Of course it may be that this unsolicited offer is just nonsense or some sort of scam, but interesting all the same.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you buy the property you own today? If the answer is NO-sell.

Can you rent it out at 1% of purchase price as rental- may not be such a bad idea.

Since you did get FREE RENT(which it really isnt) you arent losing that much. Get rid of it.

That's pretty ridiculous because right now I'm not in the market to buy any condo.

Lot of the usual "don't buy, rent" brigade mouthing off, with the usual "there's plenty of sub 5K PCM"

Reality is there are many places one can rent for less than 5K but expect:

• No contract, no secured tenancy.
  • To loose your deposit.
  • Not in a good location.
  • Very small.
  • No Air Con.
  • Rip off Electricity & Water prices.
  • No hard wired internet.
  • No Phone.
  • Full of working girls, boys & lady-boys sharing over crowded apartments.
  • Lot of shouting and noise 24/7.
  • No security.
Edited by Basil B

Lot of the usual "don't buy, rent" brigade mouthing off, with the usual "there's plenty of sub 5K PCM"

• To loose your deposit.
  • Very small.
  • No Air Con.
  • No Phone.
  • No security.

Sounds awesome! Where do I sign up?

If I were to retire to Pattaya...

I know now that many condos can be purchased for less than 50% of their asking price...

So take ones time and:

• Compare prices with others in the same complex.
  • Dig deep into how well the complex is managed.
  • Check the accounts and state of the sinking fund.
  • Listen to gossip, use many real estate agents to show you different properties, they will tell you all the good things about the property they want to sell you, tell them about other properties you are interested in and the will tell you all the bad things about that property, just remember when a real estate agents lips are moving they are probably lying.
  • See if it is possible to get copies of minutes of meetings to see what issues the Condominium has and how they are resolving them.
  • Introduce yourself to the JP (Juristic Person) of the complex or their office telling them you are interested in buy into their condominium, again see how helpful they are with getting information on the condominium, in particular ask if the condominium is near the limit of foreign owners (49%), remember this is the office that you will need to work with.
  • Again enquire about the management committee, are they all Thai if so likely the will be double standards in favour of Thai owners.
  • check costs for maintenance, electricity, water, Internet, TV, phone and any other charges and fines that may be levied.
  • never by off plan or new build, as probably most new builds will lose a lot of there value in the first year and there can be issues a few years down the road when co-owners try installing their own democratic committee to run the condominium, often only after the sinking fund has been depleted will the co-owners get to elect a committee to manage their condominium.
  • Have a check list for the above and always be suspicious of evasive answers.
OK you have a bargain, move in and put it up for sale straight away at a price compatible with other asking prices at the same Condominium, do not accept offers under a few % below the asking price and always review it if prices are rising.

It may take a few years but eventually someone will turn up offering a good price, then do the same again, go out and find another bargain...

Seems a lot of work, with still no guaranteed positive outcome, to go through when one can rent somewhere without any hassle at all, and easily move on if things change for the worse.

Given that most of the retirees that move to Pattaya will have died, or been forced because of health issues to return home ( can't get insurance in LOS over 75 as I understand it ) before the financial benefits of buying as against renting kick in, it seems a no brainer to me to rent. Can rent a very long time for 2 million or so.

Not contesting that but there are also often hassles with renting. To me the biggest negative of owning here is the risk of losing legal status to live here. In that sense overall I would not recommend buying. But as I may be selling by all means buy buy buy!

" To me the biggest negative of owning here is the risk of losing legal status to live here. "

I would regard that as being unlikely. I have more anxiety about some point in the future conditions become worse than they were even in 1976 and there would be a need to get out quickly .

Edited by Asiantravel

It doesn't feel unlikely to me. But that's personal.

When do you plan to sell?

Not ready yet.

Either soon, later, or never.

Things are happening that have prompted me to gather more information on the market situation.

I probably would sell now if I got an offer I couldn't refuse, but I know that's not in the cards.

Edited by Jingthing

• To loose your deposit.
  • Very small.
  • No Air Con.
  • No Phone.
  • No security.

Either you haven't rented much, or been unlucky

I:

didn't need a contract etc, stayed as long as we wanted

no problems getting deposit back.

excellent location just off Buakhao- 10 minutes from my wife's work and 1 minute from 7 11

good size- wouldn't have wanted larger.

had air con, but used it rarely. Fan usually sufficient.

yes electric was higher, but as didn't use much other than water heater, lights and tv, so acceptable.

internet shop just down the road. Have no desire to have one in my house as spend too much time on it if I did.

mobile- don't have house phone as don't need one.

do you have something against working girls/ boys etc? Never caused us any trouble.

quieter than where we live now. The manager stopped any noisy people straight away.

the manager was all the security we needed. Do you think there is "security" just because you live in a house, LOL. We've been burgled twice since moved to a house.

al this angst over nothing.

12 pages, >11,000 views whistling.gif

What i dont understand is why doesnt he put unit on market. then he will know what he is up against.

Because I haven't made the final decision to sell yet. Jeez!

Is that OK with you, or do I have to sign a legal contract of commitment before posting a QUESTION here?

Edited by Jingthing

What i dont understand is why doesnt he put unit on market. then he will know what he is up against.

Because I haven't made the final decision to sell yet. Jeez!

Plenty of people here do have their property up for sale without having any real desire to sell it, just to see how much interest it gets and (who knows?) just in case some idiot comes along and offers the asking price.

So you would not be alone.

Dude, that's your whine and has NOTHING to do with me. I won't put my unit for sale unless I'm seriously ready to actually to sell it. Gathering some opinions on an web forum is NOT the same thing as actually offering a listing.

Edited by Jingthing

Dude, that's your whine and has NOTHING to do with me. I won't put my unit for sale unless I'm seriously ready to actually to sell it. Gathering some opinions on an web forum is NOT the same thing as actually offering a listing.

I'm not whining. I'm not even interested. I'm just saying that plenty of people here advertise property on the off-chance, or to get information that they cant get from a real estate agent.

You can do what you want.

Agreed, best way to know is to list it, and see what happens. List it as much as possible on different web sites, get a new sim card cos you will be smothered with calls by agents.

So it's a hassle, but selling without agent means you have to answer calls.. But it is very likely you will get almost no calls from legit buyers, only agents. That's why it is a good idea to list now, even if you aren't selling right now, there is no obligation. If you only list only when you are 'really' ready to sell, you may be so pressed for time that you will have to accrpt a very low offer, cos its the only offer.

I don't want to waste a potential buyer's time until a time that I would actually agree to sell it. I also think it's wise to gather information about the current market before deciding on a tactical price to start a listing at. Obviously agents will have opinions about that but I don't necessary trust them.

Edited by Jingthing

Calm down Jingy, calm down....

By putting your thoughts / ideas onto an open forum, you must expect to get all sorts of replies - some good, some bad...

I don't want to waste a potential buyer's time until a time that I would actually agree to sell it.

Yes, I wouldn't do that either any more than I would steal or cheat anyone.

I'm just saying that plenty here do, and it's one way of getting a real indication of demand.

Who in their right mind would buy in Thailand now?

Someone who wants to live in Thailand. Why is now any different. Is there going to be a war with Burma?

I think there is a big chance that there might be some nasty surprises in the near future. Think 1976 and 1992.

Someone who wants to live in Thailand. Why is now any different. Is there going to be a war with Burma?

I think there is a big chance that there might be some nasty surprises in the near future. Think 1976 and 1992.

I think the nasty surprises are more likely in the West with their ponzi money printing schemes.

I think the nasty surprises are more likely in the West with their ponzi money printing schemes.

Hint : there was no economic crash in those years. Google Thailand 1976 and 1992, and you will know what I'm aiming at, and yes I think it's going full steam ahead in that direction.

Hint : there was no economic crash in those years. Google Thailand 1976 and 1992, and you will know what I'm aiming at, and yes I think it's going full steam ahead in that direction.

That is why I like only to live Chonburi or Rayong .....quick way to, & close by Cambodia , by land or even by sea......whistling.gif .......

Edited by david555