A National Anthem for England at last?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's jerusalem got to do with England.?.

"And did those feet, in ancient times, walk upon England's pastures green"

Refers to the legend that JC did actually visit the UK in his youth, supposedly accompanying an uncle on a business-trip to Cornwall, and visited Glastonbury among other places, which helps explain its importance as a focus of mystic-power & ley-lines. Which is also why Britain is somewhere not-normal.

As a colonist rebel from across the pond, I must call upon the only two British-English slang words I know: "daft" and "barmy."

Of course, if you're a Mormon, you'd know that his British business trip already was eclipsed by a much more spiritual visit to the Indians in the Americas. You guys just got a few carpenters' wooden tables and chairs, while they got the Good News. Therefore, 52.5% of you should dump the Jerusalem thing. It's demeaning.

post-108400-0-96543300-1453786520_thumb.

Edited by Fookhaht
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The 2nd reading which was supposed to be on the 4th of March was postponed until the 11th March will now be read on the 22nd of April! I should try this when paying my bills!

I wonder if the EU have a hand in this delay?wink.png

• 4 weeks later...

The 2nd reading which was supposed to be on the 4th of March was postponed until the 11th March will now be read on the 22nd of April! I should try this when paying my bills!

So anyone know how it went ?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Next reading not until the 22nd April, keep calm and carry on!

Next reading not until the 22nd April, keep calm and carry on!

The day before St Georges Day how quaint

Id vote to give "God save the queen" to the English so they can then call it their very own, growing up in my community in Scotland that was the only song fiercely associated with England, I vaguely remember when I was a wee nipper, at the end of the nightly TV broadcasts it was played, never seen anyone get up so quickly off the armchair to switch the set off than my parents when that anthem came on, the national grid must've had a noticeable drop in usage north of the border when that song came on

Id vote to give "God save the queen" to the English so they can then call it their very own, growing up in my community in Scotland that was the only song fiercely associated with England, I vaguely remember when I was a wee nipper, at the end of the nightly TV broadcasts it was played, never seen anyone get up so quickly off the armchair to switch the set off than my parents when that anthem came on, the national grid must've had a noticeable drop in usage north of the border when that song came on

We used to do exactly the same thing at home in Suffolk where we weren't at all anti-English, very pro-English in fact. We just weren't interested in listening to a dismal tune lauding a person we felt no connection with. Same reaction when it was played at the pictures - it was a real skill to avoid being trampled in the stampede for the exit.

Make this anti-English if you like but there's more to it than that.

Edited by MartinL

Apologies if it came across in the wrong way, it wasn't meant to be an anti English comment, just sharing a period from my distant youth with the anthem association, certainly up our way the national anthem had a strong English association to it

Edited by jonnyscot

Apologies if it came across in the wrong way, it wasn't meant to be an anti English comment, just sharing a period from my distant youth with the anthem association, certainly up our way the national anthem had a strong English association to it

Thanks for that, jonnyscot.

Whereas with your folks it was viewed as having connections with the English, among my family this same dirge was associated with people who had absolutely no connection with our lives at all.

Same feelings of negativity raised by the tune but for different reasons. Perhaps your folks & mine aren't so different despite being from entirely different localities.