On 23/02/2016 at 9:02 PM, Andre0720 said:

Comfort not a criteria, CLICK.

Comfort a criteriar, PCX.

On 23/02/2016 at 9:02 PM, Andre0720 said:

Comfort not a criteria, CLICK.

Comfort a criteriar, PCX.

I have a PCX

My wife a Click

I do not like the position on the Click, should I take the Click lets say for one hour I feel more tired than with the PCX. So yes comfort no doubt about it, on the other hand, OP being 31 years old maybe he would not take notice so much that an older gentleman. 

On 10/9/2017 at 3:35 PM, nev said:

I have a N-max and fully agree it is a fantastic bike, so easy to drive and as you say it has heaps of power to get you out of trouble if need be, it is also great on the highway and on my 23ks ride into Khonkaen it fly's their, you can quiet easily cruise at 100ks and even at that speed you still have a lot in the throttle to overtake.

I will also add the X-max is out and I have sat on one and yes it is twice the price of a new NMAX.

On 10/9/2017 at 3:38 PM, nev said:

Great bike but hard to justify paying twice the price of the NMAX which is IMHO the best scooter around 

On 10/9/2017 at 6:48 PM, nev said:

Yes I did mate, I want one but don't have the spare cash right now, but my wife promised if she wins the lottery she will buy me one.

You could easily be a spoke person for Nmax because you make it seem such  a pleasure to ride. I would like to rent a Nmax for a month or two. Are there any Nmax rentals in the Khon Kaen area?
And, yes, to own a 300 cc-sized scooter, an Xmax 300 will cost THB 168,000, but there are nice Forza 300s that can be bought for not much more than the cost of a new Nmax. A few examples: 
2014 - 18,xxx km  - THB 89,000!!
2014 -  6,xxx km  - THB 105,000!!
2017 -  6,016 km  - THB 125,000!
2014 -  2,xxx km  - THB 100,000!!!

6 hours ago, Ahnsahn said:

You could easily be a spoke person for Nmax because you make it seem such  a pleasure to ride. I would like to rent a Nmax for a month or two. Are there any Nmax rentals in the Khon Kaen area?
And, yes, to own a 300 cc-sized scooter, an Xmax 300 will cost THB 168,000, but there are nice Forza 300s that can be bought for not much more than the cost of a new Nmax. A few examples: 
2014 - 18,xxx km  - THB 89,000!!
2014 -  6,xxx km  - THB 105,000!!
2017 -  6,016 km  - THB 125,000!
2014 -  2,xxx km  - THB 100,000!!!

I have no clue about hiring out a N-max but if we are in town at the same time you could take mine for a spin, as for renting a N-max it is hard enough just to rent a standard scooter as not many bike rental shops around.

The Forza 300 is a nice bike and if you can pick a 2nd hand one up for less than 100,000 it would be a good buy.

I just bought a new Honda Click 125 and I am not happy at all. I was in between the Click and Yamaha Fiano. I rented one last year on vacation. A smood rid, a very big cargo space under the seat, and  it is also a 125.  Now...too late. New bikes depreciation is too bad. Better to look for a used on, 2 to 3 years old...... if your Thai wife is not afraid of ghost.

17 hours ago, nev said:

I have no clue about hiring out a N-max but if we are in town at the same time you could take mine for a spin, as for renting a N-max it is hard enough just to rent a standard scooter as not many bike rental shops around.

The Forza 300 is a nice bike and if you can pick a 2nd hand one up for less than 100,000 it would be a good buy.

I will look to take you up on your generous offer! I would really appreciate the opportunity to experience the Nmax ride. :thumbsup:

Honda is plastic junk, seat is designed to throw you forward and off the bike, lightweight ..dangerous bike.

Yamaha Grand Filino the best, 125cc,   Designed by vespa.Italy....Give many reasons, do your research....i own 2

• Like 1

On 8/30/2017 at 11:25 PM, AllanB said:

I ride the 15km to shops every morning, often twice, or more, just for the pleasure of riding. We tour on the scooter too and it is such a nice place to be, I can't think of a scooter that comes close in terms of pure riding pleasure to my 2017 Vespa GTS 70th Anniversary.

I am 6 foot and it fits me just dandy, plenty of room for a pillion and loads of luggage space.

Pretty bike too IMO:-

$_86.JPG

Have to agree. I have occasionally had big bikes but have always owned/ridden scooters for the past 27 years. I have toured Europe on 3 occasions on a scooter. At this moment, I own 7 scooters but the best scooter I have ever ridden is the GTS. I owned a GTS300 back home and currently own a 150.

Why is it so good then?

It's a Vespa, simple. 

Yes OK but there's so much more to it than being metal, with that classic design & shape.

The GTS is a large frame Vespa so commands presence on the road yet with it's wide 12" wheels, it can easily slipstream through traffic and can practically balance it at a standstill at the red light.

It has front & rear disc brake with ABS and anti slip traction control for muddy/sandy/wet roads.

It has twin adjustable rear shocks so any speed bump or pot hole can be negotiated without your whole body shaking.

It has large enough storage with 2 or 3 bags of shopping under the seat & also a hook for few bags more.

As well as being ideal for city shopping, it is also a long range cruiser. I did a 200 km day trip not long ago & returned home still eager to continue further. I had it up to 124 kph that day and it still didn't hit the limiter.

It is fun. You don't need a reason to ride it. It's not a chore to ride to the shops or to work.

Will it last forever? Maybe. I still have my old geared Vespa I bought 2nd hand 22 years ago, running and on the road. 

Negatives:-

Cannot fit a full face helmet under the seat.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2017 at 1:05 AM, Ahnsahn said:

I will look to take you up on your generous offer! I would really appreciate the opportunity to experience the Nmax ride. :thumbsup:

A mate of mine paid 85k for his Forza, looked pretty much mint to me, a couple of years old, the one in the Uk he paid £3,200. He has a knack of finding bargains. 

He put a big Givvy box on the back and when we went on our first ride with him to Nan province, his wife turned up with a truck load of luggage, we all laughed, but it all went in. Impressive.

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2017 at 10:46 PM, yrag said:

Honda is plastic junk, seat is designed to throw you forward and off the bike, lightweight ..dangerous bike.

Yamaha Grand Filino the best, 125cc,   Designed by vespa.Italy....Give many reasons, do your research....i own 2

Ahahah, you're biased and don't know what are you taking about.

Look at the plastics conditions on any old Honda, pretty good stuff I'd say. 

Click-I, excellent handling, comfort and riding position. BTW, for a motobike, like for any other vehicle, light is GOOD, heavy is BAD.

And the guys at Piaggio (that you call Vespa as any average ignorant outside Italy) are welcome to kiss Jap's ass. They still haven't mastered EFI today which was common here 7 years ago already.

On 10/17/2017 at 4:37 AM, LammyTS1 said:

Negatives:-

Cannot fit a full face helmet under the seat.

What about it having PUNY SMALL WHEELS, which cause

REDUCED ability to ride over obstacles or road asperities.

REDUCED stability and gyroscopic roll stability

REDUCED tire footprint, which is  then compensated by excessive tire width, which in turn make worst the already poor handling features as the above.

Of corse, it's comfy to drive the coffee shop and the retro/mod looks helps carrying the message across: I'm not a motorcyclist! 

On 12/10/2017 at 8:46 PM, yrag said:

Yamaha Grand Filino the best, 125cc,   Designed by vespa.Italy....Give many reasons, do your research....i own

Really? My first generation pcx150 have been flawless, over 5 years old and even when I managed to flood the engine, it still started when on dry land and got the family home.

Still original drive belt, engine never opened.  This little scooter have been awesome, plastics scratched here and there but it still rides very smoothly. I keep it another year maybe even more as it shows not signs whatsoever of getting tired.

18 hours ago, paz said:

What about it having PUNY SMALL WHEELS, which cause

REDUCED ability to ride over obstacles or road asperities.

REDUCED stability and gyroscopic roll stability

REDUCED tire footprint, which is  then compensated by excessive tire width, which in turn make worst the already poor handling features as the above.

Of corse, it's comfy to drive the coffee shop and the retro/mod looks helps carrying the message across: I'm not a motorcyclist! 

I believe you are talking about the small 10” wheels on the older geared 2 stroke models with the engine at one side, making the handling unstable at high speed.

I am discussing the newer 4 stroke automatic GTS. It’s comfy to drive not only to the coffee shop, but all over the country and beyond with its twin preload adjustable shocks & large frame. It’s 12” wheels make it far superior through city traffic so best of both worlds. 

I drove my Vespa on a 200km day trip along with biker friends, all on 600cc+ bikes. Guess what? This wee scooter managed to keep up with them round all the bends.

Enjoy

• Like 1

18 hours ago, paz said:

Ahahah, you're biased and don't know what are you taking about.

Look at the plastics conditions on any old Honda, pretty good stuff I'd say. 

Click-I, excellent handling, comfort and riding position. BTW, for a motobike, like for any other vehicle, light is GOOD, heavy is BAD.

And the guys at Piaggio (that you call Vespa as any average ignorant outside Italy) are welcome to kiss Jap's ass. They still haven't mastered EFI today which was common here 7 years ago already.

The Honda Click? Excellent handling, comfort & riding position?

Wow, must have to dust off the cover from mine & try it again, lol. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LammyTS1 said:

I believe you are talking about the small 10” wheels on the older geared 2 stroke models with the engine at one side, making the handling unstable at high speed.

I am discussing the newer 4 stroke automatic GTS. It’s comfy to drive not only to the coffee shop, but all over the country and beyond with its twin preload adjustable shocks & large frame. It’s 12” wheels make it far superior through city traffic so best of both worlds. 

I drove my Vespa on a 200km day trip along with biker friends, all on 600cc+ bikes. Guess what? This wee scooter managed to keep up with them round all the bends.

10" to 12", great progress! BTW, some Vespa 50s had 11", I guess that's a pretty good size too :)

And good to know you biker friends drive sensibly even in presence of a challenged vehicle around. Roads are a place to share, not to race on.

11 minutes ago, paz said:

10" to 12", great progress! BTW, some Vespa 50s had 11", I guess that's a pretty good size too :)

And good to know you biker friends drive sensibly even in presence of a challenged vehicle around. Roads are a place to share, not to race on.

Well they’ve only been selling Vespas for over 70 years, must have made some progress in that time. Must be doing something right?

6 minutes ago, LammyTS1 said:

Well they’ve only been selling Vespas for over 70 years, must have made some progress in that time. Must be doing something right?

I can see that you're a real Vespa fanboy and brand defender, but is not like they need that. Vespa is a global icon and the most successful Italian scooter,  but that does not make it technically better than high wheel scooters of today. What are these? E.g. Honda Click and SH, Aprilia (Piaggio) Sportcity, and their Yamaha equivalents of course. These are all true flat-step (unlike the latest Vespa), meaning one enjoys uncompromised practicality and the safety and handling of high wheels. This good balance appears to be appealing to the buyer, seeing that in Italy, the first 3 most sold (and stolen) scooters this year are Honda SHs, then Piaggio Beverly (not flat-step). Vespa (GTS 300) is only 12th.

Personally however I like lighter scooters because they are faster to accelerate, easier to lean and turn, and quicker to stop. So I bought an Honda Click instead of an SH, and a Piaggio Liberty instead of a Beverly.

Yes, I am a fan of the Vespa although I bought a Click when I moved here, A cheap budget scooter that ticks the boxes.

Then this year I bought 3 more scooters, 2 of them Vespas. Since then I’ve only used the Click once, I gave it to my partner. I use my small frame Vespa for shopping & large frame for work and have a Scomadi for fun. 

You are correct in the definition of a scooter. It is a step through. 

The pcx, forza, nmax, xmax, tmax, aerox, nexus, burgman etc are automatic bikes. 

I had a nexus 500 & tmax 500 but found them to be far too heavy for city traffic. I bought the GTS300 thereafter. 

What I am eagerly anticipating is the very first step through scooter with a 400 engine. The Scomadi 400 automatic & the geared 450 should be out in 2018. The 125 & 200 are already popular here because of the styling as well as superior handling & braking to any other scooter. The 125 is underpowered though. 

3 minutes ago, LammyTS1 said:

I bought the GTS300 thereafter.  What I am eagerly anticipating is the very first step through scooter with a 400 engine. 

Looks like you don't mind the added weight if it comes with solid performance. I had a Sportycity 300 (same engine as your GTS) but after having it stolen, and remembering the (little) fun when it was about driving in high traffic or pushing it around, I've replaced it with the lightest thing I could find, and don't regret it. Also loved my Click-I 110 which pleasantly drove me around Thailand a few years ago. But when I want to ride a real bike (it happens less and less) I pull out my Ninja 6R out of the storage.

Also. The obvious problem with step-through is mid-frame rigidity. So either you gave up completely, and place a tube nest, plate box or whatever where feet ought to stay, or sacrifice handling somehow. Drive two people on a fast road which has sudden level changes, and you'll feel the scooter kinda wobbling. Personally I don't care much as long the thing doesn't split, but everything has a limit. Big engine, water cooling, big wheels, strong shocks etc do weight. That's why as mentioned I always get the bike with the better weight/power ratio.   

Apart from the hook on the inside of the front and under the seat,I put a carrier basket inside the front under the hook,goes from the outside edge to the other outside edge, also you can carry a little on the floor ,all in all I can carry a lot of whatever without infringment to my driving.Good value and as said before very good in traffic.

I would buy a big scooter if my dachshund can jump on board but all that I have seen are not actually flat step.  The new 150cc Honda click looks to be of interest but I don't know when it will be available in Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...