ID Card for farangs

Hi Faz,

So according to this PDF you posted, unless i read it wrong?  I may be able to apply for an ID?

I have worked here for 20 years, married with 2 kids.

Do you have a PDF of this in Thai? It may be worth a visit to the local just to try and see if they will issue one.

Cheers,

JJP

Edited by jjp

42 minutes ago, jjp said:

Hi Faz,

So according to this PDF you posted, unless i read it wrong?  I may be able to apply for an ID?

I have worked here for 20 years, married with 2 kids.

Do you have a PDF of this in Thai? It may be worth a visit to the local just to try and see if they will issue one.

Cheers,

JJP

Do you have a yellow house book. You need one to get the ID card.

This has info about the yellow book and ID card issuance in Thai. DOPA Manual - Civil Registration and Nationality.pdf

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Do you have a yellow house book. You need one to get the ID card.

This has info about the yellow book and ID card issuance in Thai. DOPA Manual - Civil Registration and Nationality.pdf

Can't open that link Joe, just get a blank page?

Cancel that, it just opened, suspect my internet was the problem.

Edited by Faz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, deathstardan said:

Sorry...just found this thread!

I am reading here that this is available to PR holders with a yellow Tambien Baan.

Any chance of getting this card  for a Non -O extention  holder with a yellow Tambien Baan?

PR holders are entered in blue house books not yellow ones.

If you have yellow tambien ban you can get the ID card.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems there has been some directives issued from somewhere high up regarding this issue. My Amphur, that traditionally has been very expatriate unfriendly, suddenly had stacks of yellow Tabien Baan in their stationary. When wife asked what they needed to issue yellow TB and ID for farang, they all seem to know the procedure. Copy of my passport with the valid visa/extension of stay, copy blue TB and wife's ID. Next day we went with the copies, was asked my mothers and fathers names, they took my name transliteration from the marriage papers online, and less than an hour later I got my yellow TB and ID card.... Go figure....

6 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

It seems there has been some directives issued from somewhere high up regarding this issue. My Amphur, that traditionally has been very expatriate unfriendly, suddenly had stacks of yellow Tabien Baan in their stationary. When wife asked what they needed to issue yellow TB and ID for farang, they all seem to know the procedure. Copy of my passport with the valid visa/extension of stay, copy blue TB and wife's ID. Next day we went with the copies, was asked my mothers and fathers names, they took my name transliteration from the marriage papers online, and less than an hour later I got my yellow TB and ID card.... Go figure....

Kinda like opening a bank account....some branches are farang friendly; others don't seem to be.

Now I got my Yellow Book within a few weeks of retiring to Thailand over 8 years ago....was easy to get the Yellow Book for me here in Bangkok.  But about a year ago when I saw TV posts of "farangs with Yellow Books" getting the Pink ID card the Thai wife and I talked to a neighbor here in my moobaan who works in the district ID card issuing office.   He said, No, no can do...sorry.   Then about 4 months ago when seeing more farangs being issued Pink ID cards we asked him again...this time he said Sure, can do.   A few days later I went and got my Pink ID card....took about 20 minutes....piece of cake.  Oh, how things can change quickly sometimes.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2016 at 5:44 PM, sumrit said:

I have a Yellow Book issued at Muang Chonburi Sandy and numbers 6-12 definitely don't relate to any relevant dates. My book was issued on the 18th but numbers 11 and 12 in my book are 34 which is too high for any day in the month.

Have you inquired at Chonburi Amphur will issue us with pink ID cards yet?

Got ID card from Bang Lamung Amhpur but dont wast your time its of no use. Tried to use it at both my banks. After showing it around all the staff including the cleaner the manager gave it back to me sending me away to come back with my passport. It seems most Thais have never seen one including banks, police etc and it just arouses suspicion.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2017 at 0:04 PM, garzhe said:

Got ID card from Bang Lamung Amhpur but dont wast your time its of no use. Tried to use it at both my banks. After showing it around all the staff including the cleaner the manager gave it back to me sending me away to come back with my passport. It seems most Thais have never seen one including banks, police etc and it just arouses suspicion.

No, it's more likely because your Passport is on-file with them as your ID.   If you were doing a withdrawal they would want to compare your signature on the last page of your passbook using their blacklight which makes the signature visible....then they compare that to your passport signature.   

But it's spelled Bang Saphan Noi..............

Was anybody questioning the spelling of the name of the district?

I was wondering in what province this district was, looked it up and posted it in case other readers might be wondering the same. Blame it on my curious nature and my tendency to be pre-emptively helpful.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

I had same but took my passport along just in case showed them ID card they said no. Showed passport then told them to link the ID card to all my accounts with them. This done I now use ID card for Bank with no problem.

That just does sound like a practical approach and being organised. A good idea there.

• Like 1

Maybe this question has been answered before but is it possible to get this id card in Bangkok ? District of Chaeng Wattana ?

It can be very useful. There are a lot of places when you need an official id to get in, they exchange it for a pass and you get it back on your way out. I would be much more comfortable to leave a local id card than my passport.

11 minutes ago, JohnnyJazz said:

Maybe this question has been answered before but is it possible to get this id card in Bangkok ? District of Chaeng Wattana ?

If you have a yellow house book you should be able to get a ID card at the Amphoe/Khet where you are registered.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have a yellow house book you should be able to get a ID card at the Amphoe/Khet where you are registered.

Worth investigating. What really piss me up here is if you want to join a number of organization people ask you for a work permit. If you can't show up one, you're automatically categorized as a (short term) tourist and your application isn't even considered. With a local id card, it may change this perception. As I said, worth investigating.

On 1/3/2017 at 8:23 AM, JohnnyJazz said:

It can be very useful. There are a lot of places when you need an official id to get in, they exchange it for a pass and you get it back on your way out. I would be much more comfortable to leave a local id card than my passport.

Believe most people use a DL for that need - at least it is the normal document used at US Embassy which is the only place I have ever required an ID be deposited (to get phone back) - other locations I have visited do not ask ID of a foreigner. 

19 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe most people use a DL for that need - at least it is the normal document used at US Embassy which is the only place I have ever required an ID be deposited (to get phone back) - other locations I have visited do not ask ID of a foreigner. 

My condo security do anyone driving in without a pass has to deposit ID. They accept D/L ID CARD or passport. None of those documents you don't get in

On 1/3/2017 at 8:23 AM, JohnnyJazz said:

My Yellow Book was approved today, so I should be picking it up next week along with applying for my Pink Card at the same office, I think they said they can only process it after I receive the yellow book. This is at the Pak Kret office, will let you know how that goes, but they've been pretty helpful and jovial, at least with my wife along.

On 04/01/2017 at 11:08 PM, ocddave said:

My Yellow Book was approved today, so I should be picking it up next week along with applying for my Pink Card at the same office, I think they said they can only process it after I receive the yellow book. This is at the Pak Kret office, will let you know how that goes, but they've been pretty helpful and jovial, at least with my wife along.

Went to the Pak Kret Office this morning.  Took Passport, Yellow Book and Wife.

They pulled out the paperwork for the Yellow Book, then along with this, the above and my wife's ID card (think that was needed to prove who I am!)  was all that was required. Thumb prints, photo and that was it. Now am the proud owner of a Pink ID Card, cost 60thb and another 5thb for a card cover.  Someday I'll find out how useful it is :smile:

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 2

On 1/6/2017 at 2:51 PM, JAS21 said:

Went to the Pak Kret Office this morning.  Took Passport, Yellow Book and Wife.

They pulled out the paperwork for the Yellow Book, then along with this, the above and my wife's ID card (think that was needed to prove who I am!)  was all that was required. Thumb prints, photo and that was it. Now am the proud owner of a Pink ID Card, cost 60thb and another 5thb for a card cover.  Someday I'll find out how useful it is :smile:

Just finished mine today, same experience as yours, so fairly simple, and also the proud owner of a nice shiny new Pink Card....maybe someone will ask to see it!  :smile:

Next up is my extension, does anyone know what I put up in the Immigration Office Field on the TM7 for Chaengwattana? My wife insist I put Nonthaburi, but not sure myself.....I really don't want to reprint this after I show up, also do I sign it beforehand, or at their offices?

13 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Just finished mine today, same experience as yours, so fairly simple, and also the proud owner of a nice shiny new Pink Card....maybe someone will ask to see it!  :smile:

Next up is my extension, does anyone know what I put up in the Immigration Office Field on the TM7 for Chaengwattana? My wife insist I put Nonthaburi, but not sure myself.....I really don't want to reprint this after I show up, also do I sign it beforehand, or at their offices?

Bangkok Immigration at Chaeng Wattana is in Bangkok, not Nonthaburi province.

The border between Bangkok and Nonthaburi is Klong Prapa which cuts across CW Rd west of the Government Complex. 

2 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Bangkok Immigration at Chaeng Wattana is in Bangkok, not Nonthaburi province.

The border between Bangkok and Nonthaburi is Klong Prapa which cuts across CW Rd west of the Government Complex. 

So do I enter "Chaengwattana" or "Bangkok"?

2 minutes ago, thedemon said:

"Bangkok"

Now that I think of it, should I be going to a different Immigration Office? I am living in Pak Kret Nonthaburi, right next to the Impact Arena. 

Or can I still go to the Cheangwattana office? I figured that was the closest one to me, didn't realize it was outside of the Province.

8 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Now that I think of it, should I be going to a different Immigration Office? I am living in Pak Kret Nonthaburi, right next to the Impact Arena. 

Or can I still go to the Cheangwattana office? I figured that was the closest one to me, didn't realize it was outside of the Province.

Unfortunately yes, if you use a Nonthaburi address then you have to use Nonthaburi Immigration.

For most things, Bangkok Immigration won't accept your application unless you have a Bangkok address.

• Like 1