Orient Thai looses wheel

sappersrest

It's hard to believe that this "flying scrap" airline has still not been shutdown.

Even more surprising that there are still people who want to sit in one of these flying coffins.

No wonder that this country is high on the watchlist for international air traffic.

Bet that none to few of the happy Chinese holidaymakers will ever hear about their lucky escape.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Even more surprising that there are still people who want to sit in one of these flying coffins.

People will go on the hindenburg if the ticket is cheap enough.

Yup, how many of us Fly AirAsia for that reason alone?

loses

Maybe the "looses" was a typo for "loosens" and it was a self-sabotage attempt prior to take off?

Oh, the scenarios that sloppy grammar can conjure up!

Edited by Fookhaht

• 4 weeks later...

Fairly old it was reported some time ago that a lost wheel was found on the plane. :)

Fatigue cracks are not allways evident It is interesting how the use of two wheels improve safety.

I assume they are still banned from Europe and North America. How they have been allowed to continue flying is a mystery. Well TIT I suppose.

Are you thinking of "Phuket Airlines" (or maybe Airways) which started flying to Europe in the mid "00's" then got banned from EU airports after two of their planes were not allowed to take off from one of them because of maintenance issues. There was a big issue at the time because the Thai government had to send a couple of planes to pick-up stranded Thai passengers and bring them home.

I've written about this before but I had a very close call in 2002. A China Airways 747-200 I had flown TPE-HKG a few days earlier disintegrated at 20,000 feet 20 minutes after take-off from TPE. I turned out the plane had tail-scraped 15 years earlier and had been patched improperly but even worse, the repair was not entered into the maintenance log, thus never inspected. That is what let go 4 cycles after my flight.

It was later revealed that this aircraft along with one other 747-200, though still being operated by China Airways had already been sold. To who? Orient Thai. The Thai aviation authorities refused to certify the remaining 747-200 as it's maintenance logs were suspect and it sat unused, like a big white cow on the tarmac at Don Muang for many years.