Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

13 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I asked because I always thought the Damien Duff / Arjen Robben team was very exciting - I guess that was 2005 team (?) - loved the wide play, so I was interested to know what Chelsea fans think.

Yes, Duff and Robben, Drogba's first season, Cech's first season, JT & Carvhalho rock solid at the back Makalele in front of them and Joe Cole coming good. Lampard getting the goals that clinched it was special, too.

Then the next season we added Essien and Crespo!

shame Crespo couldn't settle, likewise Robben doing a runner.

• Like 2

Just remembered that Courtois was not even in the squad on Sunday and the press were informed that he wasn’t injured[emoji848] strange indeed

Fast forward a few days, just reading that Courtois has been accused of giving team news to his father who sells the information to the press[emoji33]

Mind you it is in the Sun[emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, MrTrip said:

Just remembered that Courtois was not even in the squad on Sunday and the press were informed that he wasn’t injuredemoji848.png strange indeed

Fast forward a few days, just reading that Courtois has been accused of giving team news to his father who sells the information to the pressemoji33.png

Mind you it is in the Sunemoji85.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And he's sueing the ex-Belgium manager for something or other ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

Apparently the Fulham owner has put in a bid to buy Wembley Stadium. Could put a spanner in the works for us if it goes through. After all the trouble the FA went through to build it, it would be a strange move to sell up IMHO.

Can't see the FA selling Wembley....ridiculous!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Can't see the FA selling Wembley....ridiculous!

I agree that it would be ridiculous, but this is the FA we're talking about!

the amount offered is about what the stadium cost to build, so I guess they would effectively get Sweet FA for the land, but everyone knows that you can't give land away in London!

Edited by Blue Muton

15 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Apparently the Fulham owner has put in a bid to buy Wembley Stadium. Could put a spanner in the works for us if it goes through. After all the trouble the FA went through to build it, it would be a strange move to sell up IMHO.

I'm sure that Wembley would still be used for Football and nothing much would change of that front

5 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

I agree that it would be ridiculous, but this is the FA we're talking about!

the amount offered is about what the stadium cost to build, so I guess they would effectively get Sweet FA for the land, but everyone knows that you can't give land away in London!

Any reason why Chelsea couldn't play at Twickenham while Stamford Bridge is rebuilt? Would they sell out there?

10 minutes ago, champers said:

Any reason why Chelsea couldn't play at Twickenham while Stamford Bridge is rebuilt? Would they sell out there?

The RFU have already said no, in any event it is an absolute barsteward to get out of the place.

15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I'm sure that Wembley would still be used for Football and nothing much would change of that front

The proposal includes staging eight NFL games a year there, necessitating England playing some home games elsewhere.

Khan owns the Jacksonville NFL franchise. I'll post a link......

Edited by Blue Muton
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, champers said:

I thinks that theres restrictions on how many games per year can be played at Twickenham .

Many Chelsea fans would prefer Craven Cottage , after their new stadium is built

18 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

That'd be a good thing wouldn't it? Give the northern monkey's a chance to see England play. Seriously though, when Wembley was being rebuilt the England tour was a success.

I say sell the place and that will also free up the absurd reason for having semi finals there, especially when you have two northern clubs playing a semi. It's ludicrous to make em all travel down south. Just my pennies worth

They'll probably send two northern clubs to "the other" St. James' Park, just like we were sent to play Fulham in Birmingham!

It is a bit scandalous the way Cardiff has been treated; it was a great venue for cup and play-off finals and since Wembley opened nowt.

It would have made a good venue for either of this years FA cup semis, maybe both.

The FA undermines it's own tournament and their eyes will light up with this chance to sell Wembley.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

just like we were sent to play Fulham in Birmingham!

That was about 15 years ago wasn't it? If I remember rightly, at the time many semi's where played at Villa Park. Don't know the reasons behind going up to brum. What closer "neutral" stadiums where available at that time that could have hosted a semi? WHL , Upton Park and Highbury where all smaller than Villa Park at that time weren't they?

17 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

That was about 15 years ago wasn't it? If I remember rightly, at the time many semi's where played at Villa Park. Don't know the reasons behind going up to brum. What closer "neutral" stadiums where available at that time that could have hosted a semi? WHL , Upton Park and Highbury where all smaller than Villa Park at that time weren't they?

Yes, 2002. JT got the only goal. We played the '97 semi at Highbury, which was still in use until 2006.

The capacity at Villa Park was 42,000 while Highbury was 38,000.

The situation was made worse because of engineering work on the trains and planned road closures if I recall correctly.

4 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Yes, 2002. JT got the only goal. We played the '97 semi at Highbury, which was still in use until 2006.

The capacity at Villa Park was 42,000 while Highbury was 38,000.

The situation was made worse because of engineering work on the trains and planned road closures if I recall correctly.

I think if 2 London teams got drawn together now in a semi, there'd be a lot more options to keep it in London

56 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I think if 2 London teams got drawn together now in a semi, there'd be a lot more options to keep it in London

A bit academic as the reports state that "FA Cup" games will stay at Wembley, but you're right that there are now better options, with a couple more on the way.

I may have mentioned this before but my first visit to The Bridge was for a semi final, Wet Spam v. Ipswich 1975, aged 14.

20 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

They'll probably send two northern clubs to "the other" St. James' Park, just like we were sent to play Fulham in Birmingham!

Fulham is your derby, Loftus Road would have been easily big enough for your semi.