Amazing Thailand - tourists get in on the hanging wire act

webfact

It's often a Gordian Knot ; don't know how people working for PEA can work in these places ..

But what they haven't think about is are the pylons ;

they cannot support that excessive weight and often they collapse

WHAT EXCESSIVE WEIGHT ? All I can see is a wooden pole with half a dozen wires stuck in a mud pool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

27370114805_62f27f4ee0_b.jpg

26584107473_3eff8b7fa9_b.jpg

The second one again has only a half dozen wires----- and do not know what foundations are------ so sorry but where's the EXCESSIVE WEIGHT cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guests in Thailand should mind their own business and make no negative comments on line about Thailand.

Go back to your home country and point your finger at all the Immigration and financial problems!

I really miss common sense...

When did you notice you missed your common sense?

Actually, the Samui wires are not that bad looking – the local authorities ordered all hanging wires nicely strapped up, a few years back, and it really helped on the look. Unfortunately there now and then is hanging a wire or two down from a post, often mains-wires, I never check if the are live (wish to live a little longer).whistling.gif

Often also new wires are strapped, but not always. Only drawback is, that when a bunch of wires catches fire – and that does happen – it affects the whole cluster rather than just a few lines...sad.png

post-122720-0-01202000-1460760175_thumb.

Early rainy morning a few month ago at Samui Ring Road, next to BigC in Bo Phut.

It's often a Gordian Knot ; don't know how people working for PEA can work in these places ..

But what they haven't think about is are the pylons ;

they cannot support that excessive weight and often they collapse

27370114805_62f27f4ee0_b.jpg

26584107473_3eff8b7fa9_b.jpg

If the poles "often collapse under the excessive weight" how come you posted unrelated photos of collapsed poles that have very few cables to support? One of them seems to have collapsed due to heavy rain and it's location near to a river.

And one of my favourite ways to deal with a bunch of wires where you want a structure -- this police box at the corner of Sukhumvit and Thepraset in Pattaya.

14225208229_b2193f1cea_o.jpg

this wins hands down......submit it to the photograph of the month thread!

Agreed, but this one is a close second! (from here a few weeks ago):

image.jpg

Another great idea for TAT a birds nest tour. Sorry folks subs guns tanks planes helio's, bigger military are far more important than fixing this mess. We must protect the homeland first. How can the West with all their stringent standards compete against this?

I'm sure they want to deal with the wires but imagine if they actually did! What a communications mess that could lead to.

Its much to late the cat is out of the bag and the baby is already a teenager. They would need to cancel all those fancy military contracts and still add money to fix this problem nationwide.

'Hanging wires'; shouldn't it be 'suspended cables'?

As a statement yes Suspended Cables would be appropriate but that implies supports for thee cables. As you can see there are none so Hanging is more accurate in this case.

the last time on was on Koh Samui there was no electricity. There wasn't much of anything actually. No real roads, no airport, no shops, no hotels ......... Just Bamboo huts scattered among the treeline along the beach.

I always stayed at 'First Bungalow' Chaweng beach.

Yes, for those who may ask, It was 'Paradise' then.

Wouldn't waste my time today. Wires or no wires.

View of Chaweng Beach Xmas 84

attachicon.gifchawengsamuixmas84.jpg

The memories. I stayed at Joy Bungalows. They had a generator that was turned off at 10pm. Single light bulb in the bungalow and no fan. Those were the days.

Edited by GarryP

And one of my favourite ways to deal with a bunch of wires where you want a structure -- this police box at the corner of Sukhumvit and Thepraset in Pattaya.

14225208229_b2193f1cea_o.jpg

this wins hands down......submit it to the photograph of the month thread!

Hahaha you won't see this in the west, amazing Thailand, I love it.

a bit like the footpaths that were built down the road where I live, they sort of leveled the dirt, (no compacting) poured 5 cm concrete over it then put down pavers... look great, and good to walk on,,,, BUT as soon as a truck backed over it, it sunk 100 mm or more, broke up and now a year later there are more broken pavers than not !! but I still love it living here.. no thoughts to go back to NZ, where all wires are buried and footpaths are perfect !!

got to ask egg / chicken question, which came first the house or the wire? probably the wires on top of the roof came first, then the house, then the wires that goes through the house tongue.png

Guests in Thailand should mind their own business and make no negative comments on line about Thailand.

Go back to your home country and point your finger at all the Immigration and financial problems!

Umm! A guest is someone who stays at your cost and is allowed unqualified access to your home? A tourist is someone who has been sold a story to encourage him/her to come to your country and spend as much money as you can squeese out of him/her!

If the tourist feels that the environment is "unsafe" then they have a "duty of care" to point out the problem in case the locals have missed it! Right??

That same duty of care requires people to warn others of unsafe conditions eg "There's crocadiles in the swimming pool", or would you rather have them say nothing as you put your children in the pool? facepalm.gifwhistling.gifsad.pngwai.gif

Ah so now Bill walks outside in the real world and put on his goggles. And see, a world was opening for him.

Yha if you are living in a crystal tower you dont notice untill you step out in the world.

So now he thinks Thailands wiring isnt that ok and start complaininig, there are lots of things not ok even in USA.

Maybe someday he walks around in USA noticing there arent much things ok there aswell.

I agree the wiring is otherwise organized, but ok what you do? It is the country, same like Indonesia, Philipines and many others.

Now expats and tourists are pointing out on the wiring , coz of Bill said so ?!!

CMon you already know for long time and dont say a thing untill Bill says something.

Bill for your information for instance check out in USA, the treatment of police to afro americans or check out how a

Dutch couple was arrested for overstaying their visa and thrown in jail with murderers.

Bill why you pay so less tax and all other people like fireman , police, nurses and so on about 50% tax ?!!

Bill put on your goggles, get out more often and you will be amazed how the world is.

WOW, bit grumpy this mornin, are we. In case you haven't noticed, this is a public forum. A vehicle for comment, positive & negative on any subject deemed appropriate by the mods.

If you continue to miss common sense, I'd suggest you improve your aim.

Cheers..... Mal.

Nah - he's not grumpy, he has displayed this kind of attitude in other posts - unfortunately for the rest of us, he hasn't yet realised that the "Go back to your home country" comment has been done to death on here. Also, your comments have to be a bit more constructive in order for people to take any notice of your point of view.

Also, I think that his rather authoritarian attitude i.e. "Guests in Thailand should mind their own business and make no negative comments on line about Thailand." has also been discussed at great length, but he has yet to realise that some of us are not yet ready to dance to his tune, and are reluctant to take orders from someone with such a "like it or lump it" attitude

Why's the walrus pointing at a lamp post?

I thought wires were the issue here . . . wink.png

Why do you feel the need to be rude does it make you feel better

Here we go again ! Another one void of a sense of humor or an appreciation of a bit of sarcasm.

Lighten up, have a giggle, have a beer, go have a nookie... you just might feel better.

...bury them....???

...good luck......

...it's not merely that they are unsightly.....it is a reflection of 'the state of mind' that prevails......

"...bury them....???"

Those in charge or the wires? Perhaps both would be an ideal solution? whistling.gif

I got electrocuted in 2012 when touching the railing of an overpass at Sukhumvit Soi 20 (Asok). Luckely my friend pulled me off and I survived. In an ambulance to Bangkok hospital for checking up what took 3 days. Cost over 100,000 THB. Pressed charges but haven't heard anything yet.

When I remarked about it once my wife said I should know not to touch the hand rails everyone knows that they're there to support the wires. Go ahead if you wanna die! Alf and Saftee who are they?

A proper mix of mains, communication and TV cables tight together is a must at Koh Samui, how else shall the service engineers reach up to reconnect the hi-power lines..?whistling.gif

post-122720-0-99712100-1467292427_thumb.

–And yes, this one at the entrance gate to Maenam China Town, gave some incredible nice Chine-style firecracker-sparks at all three phases...rolleyes.gif