The "Form" has arrived in Chiang Mai from what I understand.

elgordo38

"Frequently used Social Media (OPTIONAL - this will be used as additional means of communications from official)"

This is the ONLY section that is "optional." As stated above, "Bank Account Number (Only required for certain types of visa applications)," is only optional according to requirements. (Except: "Note: Other Details (Optional)" So you can give them as much other information as you wish.)

Your banking information, where you frequent, etc. is NOT optional.

"Foreign National information (Please Use Gregorian Calendar Format - Day/Month/Year)"

There is no Gregorian calendar "format." Day/Month/Year would be counterintuitive to an American, who would always assume Month/Day/Year. (It's always a bit of a question for us when we see, for example: 2/10/16. Is that the 2nd of October or the 10th of February?

(If any item does not apply, please write "-")
At least there is a sense (unintentional) of humor here. Just write "-" where you feel put out.
"-" "-" "-" "-"

"-"

Edited by Trujillo

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will this also be required of those who do the out and in border crossing instead of visiting immigration?

That is me, but I suppose that they will get people like me the next time I cross into Savannakhet.

It is now required for the 90 day report as well.

I did it this morning.

It is one sheet of paper printed on both sides full of intrusive questions.

I was handed one along with my one year retirement extension yesterday in Bangkok.On the option page I sugest putting down as friends you know ,people that you don't like so that if anything happens they will be the ones bothered and not your real friends.

It is ridiculous to ask for another photograph. How many photos do they need?

They have a computer system with photos on that too.

If they are so obsessed as to what, where and what foreigners look like every 3 months,

why don't they just say foreigners cannot stay in Thailand longer than 2 weeks for a holiday?

Many other countries would be happy to see the color of foreigners money.

"why don't they just say foreigners cannot stay in Thailand longer than 2 weeks for a holiday?"

Then how many holidaymakers will come here? Bars would start to shut down, as will hotels, shops in malls etc, then

eventually there would be no holidaymakers left, and Thailand will soon have an unemployment count of about 50%, instead

on practically none.

That will also mean no more double pricingmfr_closed1.gif

Possibly there is a bit of over-reaction to this form. For example, if you own a scooter AND a car, all you have to do is put the scooter on the form. Same with bank accounts, only one required. Easy enough to open a new account with 500 baht in it and list that.

I find it hard to believe Immigration has the manpower to check where I am eating. I'm putting this down to pure bureaucratic nosiness.

Everyone doing 90 day reporting should give as many incorrect answers as they can, and give the IOs as much work as possible.

If that had to happen, all this nonsense will soon stop.

Edited by possum1931

If they are so obsessed as to what, where and what foreigners look like every 3 months,

why don't they just say foreigners cannot stay in Thailand longer than 2 weeks for a holiday?

"why don't they just say foreigners cannot stay in Thailand longer than 2 weeks for a holiday?"

Then how many holidaymakers will come here? Bars would start to shut down, as will hotels, shops in malls etc, then

eventually there would be no holidaymakers left, and Thailand will soon have an unemployment count of about 50%, instead

on practically none.

What do you mean double pricing all the national parks i have visited (1 time only) it is X10 pricing!

Sent in 90 day report received on Monday at imm ,received house Wednesday.

No requirement for the new form and it was not included in the return envelope. It appears to be an embarrassment to immigration themselves and will probably gradually disappear, or they will bring out even more pointless intrusive forms.

on practically none.

What do you mean double pricing all the national parks i have visited (1 time only) it is X10 pricing!

Yes. you are right, just a figure of speech.

Guess it's time to create that 'alternate persona' that will be useful for filling out all the questions with truthful but totally irrelevant information. I have no problems listing what they already know. Cars and motorcycles? Wife owns those not me. Foreign address? What address. Guess it's time to plan before the next visit. Can anyone post an electronic copy of the form?

Edited by CALSinCM

Did it yesterday. Left most of it blank. Gave a pic, an emergency contact, my email address, and my bike license number. Left everything else blank. Accepted without a second glance.

Nice way to treat their "guests" isn't it? We are treated like criminals yet the "we are guests in this country" brigade still seem to have many members.

Thai criminals on parole have less stringent reporting requirements than foreigners. So, guess who's perceived as the greatest security threat? Go figure.

Did Monty Python ever do a sketch on the Ministry of Silly Forms? whistling.gif

Whilst in the shower the answer came to me: Of course they did. An entire movie in fact - Brazil.

Edited by connda

Possibly there is a bit of over-reaction to this form. For example, if you own a scooter AND a car, all you have to do is put the scooter on the form. Same with bank accounts, only one required. Easy enough to open a new account with 500 baht in it and list that.

I find it hard to believe Immigration has the manpower to check where I am eating. I'm putting this down to pure bureaucratic nosiness.

Everyone doing 90 day reporting should give as many incorrect answers as they can, and give the IOs as much work as possible.

It may be better to give truthful answers, albeit with misspellings to confuse the computers. From what I've seen on Thai Visa, that shouldn't be too hard for some.

It may be better to give truthful answers, albeit with misspellings to confuse the computers. From what I've seen on Thai Visa, that shouldn't be too hard for some.

Great idea, I never thought of that, take note all you guys who object to filling in these forms. But you still don't need to give truthful answers.

Great idea, I never thought of that, take note all you guys who object to filling in these forms. But you still don't need to give truthful answers.

FYI, there is a hefty fine for supplying false information.

Will this also be required of those who do the out and in border crossing instead of visiting immigration?

I went to Immigration to transfer my visa to my new passport, got landed with the "form" as well. Happy days !

90 day reporting is for those not leaving country after 90 days.

For those leaving the country, you fill out a new TM card upon entry.

This is typical sensationalized bullcrap on TVF. I got the one sided form with my re-entry permit at CNX the other night. No banking info was asked. It asked for one Thai contact, and one farang contact. I didn't even have an address for my Thai contact, and the address for the farang was in the US. It specifically states that the social media stuff is optional, and would be used if they needed to get in touch with you. I guess it's a real attention grabber for the invalids. Did it ever occur to many that they have used a lot of resources trying to located families of dead farangs, or farangs needing critical medical attention? It might save your life. If you're putting illegal stuff on FB; not telling them your account is really not going to help you. Pick your battles carefully.

90 day reporting is for those not leaving country after 90 days.

For those leaving the country, you fill out a new TM card upon entry.

I don't have my passport handy, is the TM card the white one they staple to the passport? If so, I did the new one a couple of weeks ago. There is a little additional information required, but stuff so routine I can't recall exactly what it was.

This is typical sensationalized bullcrap on TVF. I got the one sided form with my re-entry permit at CNX the other night. No banking info was asked. It asked for one Thai contact, and one farang contact. I didn't even have an address for my Thai contact, and the address for the farang was in the US. It specifically states that the social media stuff is optional, and would be used if they needed to get in touch with you. I guess it's a real attention grabber for the invalids. Did it ever occur to many that they have used a lot of resources trying to located families of dead farangs, or farangs needing critical medical attention? It might save your life. If you're putting illegal stuff on FB; not telling them your account is really not going to help you. Pick your battles carefully.

No, it's not "...sensationalized bullcrap..."

You got the short form with your re-entry permit, but if you do a 90 day report in person you will get the long form like everybody else.

I've know situations where the police (not the Immigration police, but the municipal police) have gone to some great lengths to try to track down the identity (or at least the nationality) of an unknown foreigner who was brought to a government hospital incapable of communicating the most basic of information about himself. But, once his basic identity, or at least his nationality, is established then the entire case is turned over to the patient's Consulate/Embassy to go about contacting the next-of-kin.

So far, I've not been aware of a case since this Foreign National Info Form came into existence, but I have been aware of situations where it's a good thing that hotels, condos and guest houses are suppose to keep copies of residents passport photo pages on file. The police have been known to go door-to-door in the neighborhood where a helpless foreigner was found, asking to see the files of passport photo pages in an attempt to identify the unknown patient at the gov't hospital.

Yes, there actually are situations where the Thai police try to help foreigners without any expectation of financial reward.

Here's a copy of the form: http://newscontent.thaivisa.com/2016/06/22/Foreign_National_Information.pdf

I think all the ballyhoo about this form is overblown. Much of this information is already known to Immigration and what isn't known is optional.

For example, they want "social media" info to be able to contact you. Well, CM Immigration has been asking us to write our email address and telephone numbers on the TM7 form for years.

The bank account info would be relevant if you have to supply it for your visa extension and I'll give them the bank account I use for my 800,000 baht retirement ext. account, but not any other bank accounts. Hubby won't supply any bank account info because he uses an Income Letter and doesn't have to give bank account details to Imm. to obtain an extension.

As for "Frequently Visited Places", I'll just say "restaurants, shops and the two malls within 800 meters of my condo"

And, as I said in the previous post, it's just a good idea to have your emergency contact info on file somewhere, although I don't know if this is the best place. I'm not certain the municipal police or your Embassy is going to contact CM Immigration, asking them to dig this form out of the storage box, if you're found unconscious along the side of the road, but what's the harm in sharing the emergency contact details that you should already have written in your passport. (Oh you don't have emergency contact details written in your passport --- think about it, it's a good idea.)

No, it's not "...sensationalized bullcrap..."

You got the short form with your re-entry permit, but if you do a 90 day report in person you will get the long form like everybody else.

I got the same form...bank account info, only for certain types of visa applications...so clearly not applicable to 90 or re-entry permit. Emergency contacts...why not? Passports could be 10 years old, and many don't put a contact in there anyways. Like Nancy stated: "Overblown."

I would bet a lot of farang are taking this opportunity to give a lot of grief about this to Immigration Officers, and that surely isn't going to help anything. 90 day reports in person? A clear indicator or personal issues, as well.

Yes, there does seem to be slightly different versions of the same form. And yes, they don't have a TM number. But, CM Immigration uses other forms that don't have a TM number. Ever applied for a Medical Extension in Chiang Mai? They have a form they've created that they want in addition to anything supplied by a hospital. No TM number on that form, either., but they still want a doctor's signature and hospital stamp. Some hospitals and doctors balk at cooperating, incidentally. Why isn't their hospital form good enough, they ask. (And these are Thai doctors asking those questions!)

As for the "problem" of putting emergency contact info in your passport when the life of your passport is ten years -- don't you own a pencil and eraser? The current U.S. passport has a page called "Personal Data & Emergency Contact" and you're specifically instructed to write the information in pencil and keep the entries up-to-date. Other nationalities should follow suit on a spare page in their passport.

Frequently Visited Places or Premises (such as Club, Restaurant, Shop, Hospital etc.)

What would the reason for this one be?

Its all fine & well....as a guest you must comply with what ever they ask

Providing false information to an officer, shall be punished under Penal Code.

But still........add it to the list of other requirements needed as a guest to do anything official here...

whether that be register or sell a car, big bike/scooter etc...get drivers license, sell or buy a condo...with all the other hoops for that one wink.png

etc etc & recall country is under martial law still without an elected govt

& it does make one wonder a bit

After 5 years full time living here we are leaving next month & while we will greatly miss many things here...(especially Thai relatives) ... these other "official" things I will not miss at all wink.png

Edited by mania

Places:

My sofa; my porch; my bathrooms; my kitchen; my bed.

My gardens.

Inside my car.

Premises (such as Club, Restaurant, Shop, Hospital etc.)

Tesco; BigC; wet market; (plant) nursery; petrol station; beer shop; bank.

I hope that completes your big data gathering....

Edited by Trujillo