Thought the Black Label gave you a headache lately? - here's why!

webfact

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

You do'n't drink much wine.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_tasting

I'm sure you are a wine expert that can't be fooled, like many professional wine tasters have.

http://www.skeptical-science.com/bullshit/winetasting-supposed-experts-fooled/

Some of them can't even distinguish a white from a red wine.

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/08/the_most_infamous_study_on_wine_tasting.html

Edited by Anthony5

11 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Think about it for a minute.  What stores sell expensive wines?  If they sold fakes they would be out of business in a NY minute.  Wines at a restaurant you taste before drinking.  JW Black you can push anywhere.  

Margins on wine is just astronomical in Thailand. The below Faustino I you can easily get for 6-800 baht in a European supermarket.

Sure, the high end wine shops at Central Embassy and Emporium only have genuine wine, but it is a big country. More than once have I got wine without the tax sticker when staying at resorts or smaller hotels. Were they smuggled in or maybe not the real deal?

20160923_171842.jpg

4 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

I'm sure you are a wine expert that can't be fooled, like many professional wine tasters have.

http://www.skeptical-science.com/bullshit/winetasting-supposed-experts-fooled/

Some of them can't even distinguish a white from a red wine.

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/08/the_most_infamous_study_on_wine_tasting.html

When you order JW and coke or soda on the rocks does the bar girl pour you a sample in a clean glass before you get the drink?  JW Black is drunk in Karaoke  bars to get drunk and appreciate awful singing or watch your sporting team lose.   

Many things can go wrong with a bottle of wine that's why you taste it before accepting it.  You don't drink a good wine to get drunk you drink it as an accompaniment with food.  

Good wines and JW Black two totally different experiences and two totally different markets.    

14 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

When you order JW and coke or soda on the rocks does the bar girl pour you a sample in a clean glass before you get the drink?  JW Black is drunk in Karaoke  bars to get drunk and appreciate awful singing or watch your sporting team lose.   

Many things can go wrong with a bottle of wine that's why you taste it before accepting it.  You don't drink a good wine to get drunk you drink it as an accompaniment with food.  

Good wines and JW Black two totally different experiences and two totally different markets.    

You are changing the subject, which is fake booze.

An expensive wine can be faked much easier than a whisky, and even experts wouldn't notice it.

19 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Margins on wine is just astronomical in Thailand. The below Faustino I you can easily get for 6-800 baht in a European supermarket.

Sure, the high end wine shops at Central Embassy and Emporium only have genuine wine, but it is a big country. More than once have I got wine without the tax sticker when staying at resorts or smaller hotels. Were they smuggled in or maybe not the real deal?

25 shots in a bottle of whiskey.  How much is a bottle of JW Black worth in a bar?  I've never seen any good wine in a mom and pop retail outlet.  In a restaurant - no problem.  I taste it before I accept.  JW Black bottles are easy to copy and sell.  Wine is to small a market for each kind.  Thais don't drink much wine anyway.  Is your average dead palate expat going to order a 10,000 baht bottle of wine?  

Edited by Scotwight

6 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I will be surprised if that also doesn't happen to wine here.

Thats why I drink cheap stuff here, at least you know and pay for what you get. Maybe they should figure out a bottle seal that can't be duplicated. How? I don't know but I bet you could make some money if you figured it out. Somebody will and then we will say why didn't I think of that.

12 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

I acquired a case of Hoegaarden beer a couple of days ago from over the northern border.  Worked out at about 48B per small bottle which is better than the 180B charged in most restaurants . Not opened one as yet ...............stay tuned.

Archa maybe?

5 hours ago, tifino said:

In LOS, anyone else remember the old Mekhong up until the 90s?

if you had 2 bottles next to each other, then one person were to take a little nip sip outof one, and thentake a big swig out of the other - it was very likely the first little drink was the one that took your knees away. Mekhong was not Gov't regulated until through the 90's.

Drinking it was like taking off, on an unknown adventure... as every batch was always so so different to the next.

I don't recall such dramatic variations with my beloved Mae Khong although it might indeed explain the slightly wilder rides that I usually associated with the Thai food interacting with the Mae Khong. I do remember that back in the 1980s Mae Khong was the prestigious alcoholic brand, even among the Hi-So,  before those awful cheap imported Scotch drinks became the prestigious brands with middle class Thais.

There are many well known shops around Had Yai selling this stuff. Pretty much everyone knows it is suspect but buy it anyway.

The same shops sell Penfolds wine at cheaper prices than in Australia. Also strange brands of cigarettes, bottles of tequila etc.

All completely in the open.

7 hours ago, tifino said:

the 2 Malaysians were smart - they knew when to run...

Fake re-bottled, and into 200ml bottles was a big thing down over the border, and it was sold freely displayed in all corner liquer bars. o the Malaysian would have been very experienced in getting the formalas just-right.

In LOS, anyone else remember the old Mekhong up until the 90s?

if you had 2 bottles next to each other, then one person were to take a little nip sip outof one, and thentake a big swig out of the other - it was very likely the first little drink was the one that took your knees away. Mekhong was not Gov't regulated until through the 90's.

Drinking it was like taking off, on an unknown adventure... as every batch was always so so different to the next.

But, I still cannot see what the big thing is about JW, no matter the label - I'd take another Mekhong before any JW - anyday!!!

JW is even rougher than Bundaberg Rum

and why do thais fall over backwards to get hold of the stuff?? - it's a falang drink

Erm... You prefer Mekong over Black Label (or Red Label ?)...  there's not really much to comment on other than your insides must be made of Cast Iron and rust free !!!... 

4 hours ago, Scotwight said:

I kind of agree....  We used to get Penfolds Bin 389 & 407 from my Father In Law who had an 'Import connection'... in all likelihood is was fake... we never were able to tell. 

Whisky - I drink JW Black (or Chivas) with a Dash of Soda and sometimes a Dash of Soda+Coke...  BUT... I do have a 'neat' taste first...  and I can Tell a Fake, or rather, there are a number of times I've thought the JW Black Label was fake...

So, I do agree - Two different Markets... in the world of Philistines I revolve in, I don't think I could really tell real or fake Wine... But I am of the opinion I can spot a Fake Whisky and I suspect its becoming more common (hence this thread and one I'd started previously about fake liquor)... 

When ordering by the glass, I'll drink a Jameson's Whiskey on Ice..  I suspect this is uncommon enough not to warrant counterfeiting... 

Oh... and the Fake Whisky - When on a big night out, if it hurts the next day I suspect we've ended up with the fake stuff... but by then its too late. Drinking in the same (reliable) place seems eradicate this....

I choose Black over Red (when mixing) because the hangover from Red also seems a little worse than with Black, pseduo-placebo effect ?

Edited by richard_smith237

11 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Land of scams

I cannot disagree with you in general, but in this particular case it seems all involved were Malaysians.

But these are small time scams. For the nice big professional ones, try the US with the subprime mortgage crisis or Germany with Volkswagen.

15 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Do you have anything to support that?

I actually got a few Bin 2 from the border area of Malaysia and they did taste a bit off, but even the cork had the Penfold inscription.

if you search "fake penfold thailand" on google there is 2 articles on the front page regarding to the seizure of fake Penfolds in Thailand. Its well known among wine enthusiast that there are a lot of fake wines in Thailand too. There are people who pick up cases of wine at the border for their own business or to resale, too many fakes out there to tell whats real or not.

You could have bought a real bottle...hard to tell unless you compare closely with a real bottle and look at labels under the microscope, I just read that Penfold have laser etching on bottles to deter the fraudsters.

Hong Tong is a reasonable Thai spirit that I find comparatively benign, regarding the morning after. Pretty much zero chance of that one being knocked-off, either and knowing what you're getting has its advantages. If I was going to drink Jameson, or conversely, Glenlivet, I probably wouldn't do it here. Too much dough (incentive for shenanigans) involved. If you've been around, Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 should be relatively safe, if you buy the bottle and open it on site (preferably, when you are sober) as even a Luddite should be able to tell if something is amiss, due to the unique and rather complex flavor profile of that particular bourbon. Of course, if you are the type that orders anything other than Sang Som in cola, all bets are off, no matter what your poison. 

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Erm... You prefer Mekong over Black Label (or Red Label ?)...  there's not really much to comment on other than your insides must be made of Cast Iron and rust free !!!... 

... for medicinal purposes only of course!

but then, being also called Dr 'kong sort of gives the clues away

the only JW I found palatable was Blue Label.

My first sabbatical away from LOS was a 9 years stretch, and I never gave up on the fruitless falangland search for a replacement taste.

Mehkong was unique, to me, and that was the exclusivity about it - oh! and the memories of where I drank it

- as the actual taste is so weak really, that if one blasphemed the nip of Mehkong, by putting coke with it - the Coke overpowered it.

With the Mehkong, it was all in the essence of what whafted down the back of your tongue - upon your next breathe...

a Lover or a Hater of Dr 'kong depended upon how one took his first taste:

• a skoller might never try it again,
  • so I converted quite a fellow mehkong newcomers, by hinting to dabble a few drops onto the tongue, and let the mehkong flavour crawl it's own way down the back of the tongue

oh and yes my tummy is cast ironed, or is that alloy - as in aroy mak

On 29/09/2016 at 3:30 PM, toofarnorth said:

I acquired a case of Hoegaarden beer a couple of days ago from over the northern border.  Worked out at about 48B per small bottle which is better than the 180B charged in most restaurants . Not opened one as yet ...............stay tuned.

No need to worry It's the real thing.. drank plenty of bottles of it in Tachelik at a fraction of the Thai rip off price

On 29/09/2016 at 3:30 PM, toofarnorth said:

No need to worry It's the real thing.. drank plenty of bottles of it in Tachelik at a fraction of the Thai rip off price

On 29 September 2016 at 11:33 AM, eliotness said:

I bought a bottle of Talisker, my absolute favourite, from a market in Cambodia.  Got home, opened it, fake, yuck fake for sure, but the Thai family loved it ?

Talisker has that smoky flavour, quite unique, impossible to replicate. It isn't as fashionable as all the Glen Xxxxxs, but far better to my taste ( and the relatively small market for it has meant that the price is not totally outrageous , merely moderately outrageous).

1. I like Wild Turkey, But its hard to get hold of (as rare as rocking horse manure)so there is little chance of it being faked.
  2. Having owned a few bars in Patong the best way to buy good whiskey at a cheep price is to get it from the liquor inspector. I leave it to you to work out why.

53 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Going back to the OP pic.  I like the rectangular shades , are they fake ?

Ah, they're shades!

I thought he was showing how clever he was, not spilling a drop whilst pouring from one bottle to the other with black insulting tape stuck over his eyes!