Phuket tourists split over virgin beaches: Poll

webfact

Phuket tourists split over virgin beaches: Poll

The Phuket News

1479092942_1-org.jpg

More than 40% of respondents called for beach vendors to be allowed to return. Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET: -- The recent revelation by Phuket Governor Chockchai Dejamornthan that he will start taking steps to have all beaches in Phuket cleared of vendors and returned to “virgin” status has received a mixed reaction among expats and foreign visitors in an online poll by The Phuket News.

Currently, the “10% zones” are the last bastions where vendors may work at selected beaches in Phuket, and were introduced by Phuket’s previous Governor, Chamroen Tipayapongtada.

However, the “beach rules” in Phuket specifically apply only in Phuket. The 10% rule does not apply anywhere else in Thailand, not even in Khao Lak, just one hour’s drive north of Phuket, or even on Phi Phi or elsewhere in across the bay in Krabi.

Gov Chockchai last month explained that his understanding was that local authorities had no legal right to allow any vendors on the beaches, and that he would have them removed.

To this, The Phuket News asked readers in an online poll, “Do you support Gov Chockchai’s plan to clear Phuket’s beaches of all vendors?”

The poll, which ran for two weeks, concluded at midnight last night as Phuket begins to enter its annual tourism high season.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tourists-split-over-virgin-beaches-poll-59843.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-11-14

Sure i like the vendors as long as they don't bother me.

They can sit somewhere and i will go to them whenever i want to buy. They might also stroll around but don't make noise or annoy me, i will go to them, DON"T come to me. Also they have to show the price, i won't ask for it.

12 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

The topic is about vendors 

And virgin beaches.  Many hotels are built right up on the beaches.  So, on topic.  Even without vendors, the beaches will not be pristine.  Hard to find a true pristine beach here in Thailand.

Here is a pristine beach:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/new-zealand-beach-crowdfunding-campaign_us_56cd355ce4b0928f5a6db5f7

56cd39d51e0000220070ea2c.jpeg?cache=ords

12 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Best laugh of the week so far!!!

I've got fond memories of sitting on Copacabana Beach, wonder chair, lovely views, and beach vendors bringing me plates of food and cold Brahma beer.  Never had to get up...except to pee! Gotta love the beach vendors!

I  can't see myself sitting on a beach in the sun with only a few other fat retirees like me, aint gonna happen.  I love the beach venders showing me there goods even if it gets very redundant.  They charge me for a nice umbrella and a couple chairs, bring me food and drink, sell me some things I need or like.  If I need something they don't have they will shag ass and get it for a fee.  I won't be there if they aren't.  I love nature too but I don't go to a public beach for that.

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

And virgin beaches.  Many hotels are built right up on the beaches.  So, on topic.  Even without vendors, the beaches will not be pristine.  Hard to find a true pristine beach here in Thailand.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/new-zealand-beach-crowdfunding-campaign_us_56cd355ce4b0928f5a6db5f7

how much did that beach end up selling for?  seem to remember it was pretty remote. must be beaches like that around thailand in the more remote ares. not so easy to get food or a deck chair however.

Not really much comparison between a beach on the South Island of NZ and Phuket.

The average temperature there is 17c, the lowest is 9c, with  a sea temp that never gets over 18c.

Not many tourists or vendors spending the day basking on that beach, easy to keep it pristine!

The best beaches I've ever seen are near Esperance on the south coast of Western Australia.

Pristine, pure white sand, azure blue water, incredible clarity under water, but you freeze your nuts off even in summer.  One of the many good reasons I didn't retire there.

white-sand-beach-blue-water-esperance-western-australia-.jpgesp1.png

Edited by Old Croc

Why didn't the Phuket governor conduct a poll BEFORE making taking such an unpopular measure? In addition to brassing off tourists, he has also put a lot of Thais out of work. with little prospect of earning a living elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Why didn't the Phuket governor conduct a poll BEFORE making taking such an unpopular measure? In addition to brassing off tourists, he has also put a lot of Thais out of work. with little prospect of earning a living elsewhere.

Nothing to do with the Phuket Gov. It was the army that made the decision when the chief of army assumed the role of PM. There was no thought (or care) given to the effect on tourism ... end of story. 

8 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

And virgin beaches yes. But not hotels. 

I simply used another word(pristine) to describe a virgin beach. Why get so hung up on it? Never heard that word before? 

14 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

except the availability of virgins.... long time since anyone found a virgin at a Phuket beach....

Plenty of  bar "cherry girls" around at the moment though. 

Mama in Issan still thinks "the good old days" are happening on Phuket for the "high season."