we have had best resturants but whats your favorite beer?

davetrout

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Tiger.

Beer Lao Dark (but not too many).

But really as Lite Beer pointed out, the choice is pretty poor. The Big 2 (or 3 if you count TAPB) keep the market tightly sewn up.

Yes, all other beers are crazy expensive.. I like Hoegaarden once in a while (rare that I drink but when I do i like quality). But the price for one bottle of 750ml is around 320bt or so (can't really recall as it is rare that i buy it). The price of that beer is below 200bt in the Netherlands (still not a cheap beer but its good there are cheaper versions in smaller bottles that have a lower price per liter too in the Netherlands)

Edited by robblok

It's been almost 30 years for me, but I recall the best beer was free beer.

Beyond that, everything else is snobbery.  Just like coffee.  It's a delivery system for the active ingredient.

Edited by impulse

28 minutes ago, impulse said:

Beyond that, everything else is snobbery.  Just like coffee.  It's a delivery system for the active ingredient.

I am not so sure about that there are people who absolutely love beer, personally I don't really enjoy the taste (only occasionally do I like it). But to say that taste is not different and that all coffee is the same.. that is what I would call snobbery. 

If you are asking about Thai beer the standard is so low that being top of the list is nothing to be proud of.
Go for Beer Laos if you can afford it.

I wanted to try it but cannot find anywhere in my area Uttaradit where you can buy it by the carton let alone single bottle. Can do a 200km round trip to Makro in Phitsanulok who stock it by the carton but at 1400 a carton I quickly lost my desire to try it.

Sent from my iris 755 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, impulse said:

:smile: I used to be a bit like that. When asked how much I used to drink the answer was always 'any given amount'.

Agree with the snobbery statement as well but there were some delivery systems that even I would shy away from. 

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes, all other beers are crazy expensive.. I like Hoegaarden once in a while (rare that I drink but when I do i like quality). But the price for one bottle of 750ml is around 320bt or so (can't really recall as it is rare that i buy it). The price of that beer is below 200bt in the Netherlands (still not a cheap beer but its good there are cheaper versions in smaller bottles that have a lower price per liter too in the Netherlands)

For 320 a fifth, it ought to come with someone to drink it for you....

I was a wine slurper but for beer, coming out of the GCC, my usual was Heineken, preferably draft "Ice", or Amstel.  Stayed with Heineken after moving here then worked through Singha, Tiger, San Mig Light until hitting (near) rock bottom with Leo.  I enjoy other things, Johnny Black, G&Ts, but for beer swilling with the lads -  Leo.  :blush:

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

I think the Leo fans may be more the "bang-for-baht" guys.

You think wrong. I know I find Leo less gassy and it has more taste than other Thai beers. I loved real ale in the UK and wouldn't drink anything else there. Here real ale is not so readily available but I will treat myself now and again. All in all the real ale I have had in LOS is a bit too heavy for the climate, but nice all the same. Leo is in almost all bars and minimarts.

1 minute ago, champers said:

You think wrong. I know I find Leo less gassy and it has more taste than other Thai beers. I loved real ale in the UK and wouldn't drink anything else there. Here real ale is not so readily available but I will treat myself now and again. All in all the real ale I have had in LOS is a bit too heavy for the climate, but nice all the same. Leo is in almost all bars and minimarts.

So when you "treat yourself" you go with a "real ale" but when you need a little more bang for the baht you go for the Leo. 

You're right, my bad.