Patong Mayor pushes for sun loungers, calls for clarity over beach rules

rooster59

On 14/01/2017 at 2:21 PM, Destiny1990 said:

Besides some umbrellas and chairs i also like some open showers being installed on beaches and water tabs for rinse my feet just like in Spain but i know i am pushing it now.

Then jump on a scooter and head north to Nai Thon - it's a nice ride once you clear Bang Tao, and there are water hoses dotted along the beach as you head back to beach road.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Psimbo said:

If the graft were taken out of running the beach and a sensible approach could be taken to sun loungers there could be a place for them. The problem is- there isn't.

Totally agree with that...........but the problem is what you are really saying is that the Thais are incapable of putting in place a simple rule and "policing" it!!

If it were controlled/policed and any offenders had their "equipment" confiscated on the spot, along with a fine, then things would change. However laziness and corruption come into play making it a typical Thai scenario.

There's an old saying that, "what gets measured, gets done"........and if you apply that to the beach situation, it could be solved.

On 1/14/2017 at 1:34 PM, Destiny1990 said:

Implement a system that beds and umbrellas only get set up once clients request for it.

Obviously you have no clue. Completely unworkable solution. 

On 1/14/2017 at 2:52 PM, Lokie said:

Patong beach was far better, cleaner and used/enjoyed by lots more people incl Tourists, Expats + locals/Thais when the sunloungers were in use with parasols, the vendors provided a great service with drinks and fresh fruit etc, was a great place to relax... 

Now is a sorry state on the whole with around 60% less occupancy by said above sectors, those who think this is not the case makes me wonder when was the last time you actually went onto the beach...? I visit every morning and base my statement on what I observe and it saddens me as I love the place but it could be so much better, think some on here are smoking some good gear or sumfink? (sic)

Talk about how to run a nice place into the ground??

Paradise utopia is never gonna be realistic on an island whose main income is from the tourist $, those looking for that probably need to go to the far side of the moon and once is found hey guess what others follow and again - Paradise lost.

Completely out of touch response. How anyone could possibly believe that Phuket was a better place when there were wall to wall sunchairs and businesses operating on the beach is...just ridiculous. 

Again, there is overwhelming support for keeping venders and especially sunchairs off the beaches. We're not going back to the bad old days. Get used to it. 

On 1/14/2017 at 3:13 PM, johng said:

^^^^ yes Thailand has thousands of kilometres of coastline surely some can be set aside for beach chairs/umbrellas and other touristy activities ,anything thats a national park should probably be kept/returned to nature
and where its not a national park stop cutting down all the trees !!!

Why should one square meter be set aside for a tourist? It's not in Western countries. Sunchairs are ugly and don't belong on the beach. Mat's and umbrellas are not being used (under 50% at beaches now), why designate any space to this atrocity? Removing these sunchairs rid Phuket of a whole level of graft. Absolutely no reason to introduce them back, except if your the mayor and like your pockets full.

On 1/14/2017 at 3:57 PM, JulesMad said:

Hopefully all these 'quality' tourists flock to Patong beach, and BBQ themselves on their sunbeds, get ripped off by jetski's/tuktuk's and other quality activities!

The rest of Thailand is so much better and beautiful than Patong and Phuket, it is better these people stay away from it :smile:

Always a few of these ignorent comments. Please...stay in whatever hole you climbed out of. 

On 1/15/2017 at 0:17 AM, gk10002000 said:

back up please.  So currently are there no sun loungers or umbrellas at any Patong or Karon or Kata beaches?  I mean as a visiting tourist ( I have been there twice in previous years) being able to rent and use a lounge is really important.  If I were to go to Patong or Karon or Kata beaches next week, are there no loungers or umbrellas there?

Nope, probably should cancel your trip. You won't appreciate how beautiful the beaches are without them. 

10 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Nothing selfish about it (and I don't own a dog). The problem is give people an inch and they take the beach, as seen by the Patong 'mounds'. Tourists seem to have accepted the fact that there are no sun loungers (but there are umbrellas) and are just getting on with it. Tourism is down for a variety of reasons- people who bang on about sunbeds being solely responsible for it are living in la-la land.

If the graft were taken out of running the beach and a sensible approach could be taken to sun loungers there could be a place for them. The problem is- there isn't.

Walk along Kamala beach and see how the 'mounds' and umbrellas are taking up far more than 10% of the beach. Almost the whole frontage of the cemetery has fallen to 'mission creep'.

Drive around the back roads of Kamala and there are stacks of sunbeds outside certain houses just waiting for the 'glory days' to return- long may they wait as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly. They why I will fight the politicos like the Patong Mayor cow trying to to get back on the gravy train the sunchairs provided. There is no in-between ground on this issue. Either it's wall to wall sunchairs or there aren't any. The Thais need this policy because they're incapable of managing anything. 

Edited by Pinot

1 hour ago, Pinot said:

<snip>

Again, there is overwhelming support for keeping venders and especially sunchairs off the beaches. We're not going back to the bad old days. Get used to it. 

<snip>

Removing these sunchairs rid Phuket of a whole level of graft.

<snip>

Overwhelming support from whom? A number of vocal expats, who in the grand scheme of things, are persona non grata here. Expat opinions on how local beaches should be run is of little to no importance. Decisions will be made by the local Thai officials based upon two things: firstly the potential to personally profit and secondly, the potential for local businesses and others to profit. The opinions of expats like you and me are off the radar. Get used to it.

How exactly did removing sun loungers at Patong and other west coast beaches, replacing them with ratty vinyl and foam mats and umbrellas eliminate a layer of graft? Do you seriously think that the people who operate those concessions don't pay dearly for the privilege?

Other than the fact that there fewer operators now, you can be sure that this layer of graft continues to exist. 

1 hour ago, Pinot said:

Why should one square meter be set aside for a tourist?

Because there is clearly a demand for the services and it provides gainful employment for the local people.

The operators also do try to keep the rubbish in their area cleaned up..have you seen the mess left by ( mostly ) week-ending Thais after they have a picknick on the beach without any beach chair operator to clear up after them ?

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

Totally agree with that...........but the problem is what you are really saying is that the Thais are incapable of putting in place a simple rule and "policing" it!!

If it were controlled/policed and any offenders had their "equipment" confiscated on the spot, along with a fine, then things would change. However laziness and corruption come into play making it a typical Thai scenario.

There's an old saying that, "what gets measured, gets done"........and if you apply that to the beach situation, it could be solved.

For some reason I can't give you 'likes'- if I could I would have!

I agree it can be solved- there's just not the inclination as too many are doing too well out of it.

2 hours ago, Pinot said:

Obviously you have no clue. Completely unworkable solution. 

Completely out of touch response. How anyone could possibly believe that Phuket was a better place when there were wall to wall sunchairs and businesses operating on the beach is...just ridiculous. 

Why should one square meter be set aside for a tourist? It's not in Western countries. Sunchairs are ugly and don't belong on the beach. Mat's and umbrellas are not being used (under 50% at beaches now), why designate any space to this atrocity? Removing these sunchairs rid Phuket of a whole level of graft. Absolutely no reason to introduce them back, except if your the mayor and like your pockets full.

Always a few of these ignorent comments. Please...stay in whatever hole you climbed out of. 

Nope, probably should cancel your trip. You won't appreciate how beautiful the beaches are without them. 

Exactly. They why I will fight the politicos like the Patong Mayor cow trying to to get back on the gravy train the sunchairs provided. There is no in-between ground on this issue. Either it's wall to wall sunchairs or there aren't any. The Thais need this policy because they're incapable of managing anything. 

You can have a 'like' as well- there are some very naive comments from others!

1 hour ago, johng said:

Because there is clearly a demand for the services and it provides gainful employment for the local people.

The operators also do try to keep the rubbish in their area cleaned up..have you seen the mess left by ( mostly ) week-ending Thais after they have a picknick on the beach without any beach chair operator to clear up after them ?

I agree with what you write.  Especially the cleaning of the beaches, also these 'attendents' keep an eye on their cutomers belonging while they are in the sea.

BUT ... the corruption factor involved with local officials was far too excessive ... and obvious .... I am glad the army stepped to try to stop the corruption.  But we all know that this so called 10% zone is a smaller source of corruption with the jet skis remaining the major and growing source of corruption.

I have always supported a transparent issuing of beach licenses, with money paid directly to the gov offices (with receipts) and vendors paying taxes to the tax office.  But I'm dreaming ... corruption and lining of own pocket rules in Thailand.

Edited by LivinginKata

The 10% zone is a mistake.  If the law says all beaches belong to the King and no commercial activity is allowed, then the 10% zone is breaking the law.  Yes, I agree that many tourists would like to see the return of the beach umbrellas and lounge chairs.  But the Thais would have to amend the law and put in a proper management system to manage the vendors and the income generated.  Knowing the Thais, this would be too tedious and troublesome.  The confusion continues.....

3 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

The 10% zone is a mistake.  If the law says all beaches belong to the King and no commercial activity is allowed, then the 10% zone is breaking the law.  Yes, I agree that many tourists would like to see the return of the beach umbrellas and lounge chairs.  But the Thais would have to amend the law and put in a proper management system to manage the vendors and the income generated.  Knowing the Thais, this would be too tedious and troublesome.  The confusion continues.....

Where does the law say that the beaches belong to the King? This is a common misconception.

The fact is, the crown owns only the land from the international boundary line at sea, up to the high-tide mark on the beaches. Anything further inland from the high-tide mark is typically owned by the local government/municipality, or in some cases, falls under private ownership.

So - in the case of vendors operating on the beaches (such as Kata, Karon, Patong, etc), the land they're using actually belongs to the corresponding municipality, and this is where the corruption comes into play.

4 hours ago, Pinot said:
On 1/14/2017 at 7:52 AM, Lokie said:

Patong beach was far better, cleaner and used/enjoyed by lots more people incl Tourists, Expats + locals/Thais when the sunloungers were in use with parasols, the vendors provided a great service with drinks and fresh fruit etc, was a great place to relax... 

Now is a sorry state on the whole with around 60% less occupancy by said above sectors, those who think this is not the case makes me wonder when was the last time you actually went onto the beach...? I visit every morning and base my statement on what I observe and it saddens me as I love the place but it could be so much better, think some on here are smoking some good gear or sumfink? (sic)

Talk about how to run a nice place into the ground??

Paradise utopia is never gonna be realistic on an island whose main income is from the tourist $, those looking for that probably need to go to the far side of the moon and once is found hey guess what others follow and again - Paradise lost.

Out of touch response?

Mmm don't think so pal, based as I said on my daily observations of using the beach, you are living in a different dimension.

As others have posted show us all where this 'overwhelming' support is for keeping vendors and 'especially' sunchairs (we call them beds) off the beaches? Will await your facts and figures...

Only one sounding ridiculous here is you lol...

6 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Where does the law say that the beaches belong to the King? This is a common misconception.

The fact is, the crown owns only the land from the international boundary line at sea, up to the high-tide mark on the beaches. Anything further inland from the high-tide mark is typically owned by the local government/municipality, or in some cases, falls under private ownership.

So - in the case of vendors operating on the beaches (such as Kata, Karon, Patong, etc), the land they're using actually belongs to the corresponding municipality, and this is where the corruption comes into play.

But who decides 'the high-tide mark'. In Kata I have witnessed the sea all the way up to the wall in extreme high tides.  Just more boundary corruption .... in a three dimentions. 

1 hour ago, Kopitiam said:

But does the law state this? If so why are beaches in Koh Samui, Hua Hin, Bang Saen and numerous other places allowed to retain sunbeds, umbrellas (many more than Phuket ever had in some of these places) and vendors? Why have the junta concentrated on Phuket (I don't count Koh Same as this is a designated National Park and is therefore subject to different rules)?

Edited by madmitch

8 hours ago, Pinot said:

Erm.......... Phuket and Patong beach are advertised as tourist venues and in a huge percentage of the photographs promoting this you will see sun loungers and umbrellas on beaches and Patong in particular gets its revenue from, yes.............tourists.

A great deal of these tourists like to think that they can relax in comfort on the beach without getting completely toasted, shaded by an umbrella and perhaps served some drinks or food along the way and perhaps even get the occasional massage. I know this from many years of working with American Express Travel, so it's not just wishful thinking on my part.

Patong needs the tourists to survive and rather than trying to find ways to put tourists off from coming here, surely it's best to try and entice them to the place with whatever means possible – – not put obstacles in their way.

And before you forget this, Patong Beach is advertised as a place for tourists not grumpy small-minded expats, so why don't you take your own advice and, "stay in whatever hole you climbed out of".

9 hours ago, Pinot said:

No worries, I have no intention to visit Puke-et again :-) As long you stay in ur 'lovely' Puke-et, and do NOT visit Thailand ;-) Deal?

BTW, how is it physically possible to stay in my hole where I just climbed out of?!? I just climbed out, so how can I stay in?!?

Old photo's not seen that many tourists here for years

But can someone confirm that tourists no longer can expect to see sun loungers on the beach any more in Thailand and you have to sit on the sand?

If so might as well go to Brighton or Blackpool at least you can get a deckchair

Thai quality tourist works hard all year goes to LOS - and cannot sit on the beach due to new law

Sneek that line into next brochure we do

What is a beach for please

Ps please take your rubbish home after

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

Erm.......... Phuket and Patong beach are advertised as tourist venues and in a huge percentage of the photographs promoting this you will see sun loungers and umbrellas on beaches and Patong in particular gets its revenue from, yes.............tourists.

A great deal of these tourists like to think that they can relax in comfort on the beach without getting completely toasted, shaded by an umbrella and perhaps served some drinks or food along the way and perhaps even get the occasional massage. I know this from many years of working with American Express Travel, so it's not just wishful thinking on my part.

Patong needs the tourists to survive and rather than trying to find ways to put tourists off from coming here, surely it's best to try and entice them to the place with whatever means possible – – not put obstacles in their way.

And before you forget this, Patong Beach is advertised as a place for tourists not grumpy small-minded expats, so why don't you take your own advice and, "stay in whatever hole you climbed out of".

100% right ask anyone going on holiday what they are going to do the first week and they all say relax on the beach and chill out But not in Thai anymore

TAT lady will no doubt have an answer for this

Idiots killing the country comes to mind

Spain now looking a possibility again

Can't do this can't do that, better not say that

What can you do here these days

Maybe breathing is safe

19 hours ago, Lokie said:

Out of touch response?

Mmm don't think so pal, based as I said on my daily observations of using the beach, you are living in a different dimension.

As others have posted show us all where this 'overwhelming' support is for keeping vendors and 'especially' sunchairs (we call them beds) off the beaches? Will await your facts and figures...

Only one sounding ridiculous here is you lol...

Last time a poll was run by the Phuket Gazette, support was over 80% for keeping sunchairs off the beach. I can't find the poll but it's there. 

Why don't you boys find beaches in other countries that offer sunchairs? It's a decided issue here, with OVERWHELMING SUPPORT. 

39 minutes ago, Pinot said:

Last time a poll was run by the Phuket Gazette, support was over 80% for keeping sunchairs off the beach. I can't find the poll but it's there. 

Why don't you boys find beaches in other countries that offer sunchairs? It's a decided issue here, with OVERWHELMING SUPPORT. 

I remember this and you're right, there was overwhelming support................from Gazette readers, i.e. mostly expats.

Hold a poll among tourists and I reckon you'll get a rather different picture.  

I would say 90 % of Thais  want to have an table,chairs +  umbrella to hide under at the beach after swimming fully clothed in the sea

come back onshore order lots of seafood  maybe somtam gai yang and some drinks  buy some knick-knacks as souvenirs from the ( admittedly sometimes rather annoying ) beach hawkers  take loads of selfies, thats it perfect day at the beach.

Doesn't really matter about the filthy water,beach strewn with rubbish, packs of mangy soi dogs sniffing around for food and pickup trucks with 10,000 watt mobile discos on board blast a bass  that can be felt  1Km away etc etc

Firstly, you have to remember just who the Mayor works for.

It isn't the tourists, it isn't expats, or even Thais in Phuket.

She works for registered Patong residents. The same people that have trashed Patong at the expense of the environment, scofflaws that are either members of the tuk-tuk and taxi mafia, or at the minimum, support them.

Her job is to continue, or increase the revenue stream to these people. If she doesn't, she will not be voted in next time.

She does all this in the name of her voter's insatiable greed and her own self-interest.

Edited by KarenBravo

13 hours ago, Pinot said:

There you go again Talking Crap (great use of caps look and bold font yet your 'overwhelming support' is based on one poll in PG that grumpy ex-pats answered) 

Your footer says it all Re BS and you sure are an exponent of talking it, as for a decided issue, its Thailand - nothing is ever decided, sunbeds will return is just a matter of time, problem is it may be too late for places like Patong then, but hey they can rely on all the money people like you spend supporting the local economy and beaches, making Thailand a better place - right?

On 17/01/2017 at 3:45 PM, KarenBravo said:

Firstly, you have to remember just who the Mayor works for.

It isn't the tourists, it isn't expats, or even Thais in Phuket.

She works for registered Patong residents. The same people that have trashed Patong at the expense of the environment, scofflaws that are either members of the tuk-tuk and taxi mafia, or at the minimum, support them.

Her job is to continue, or increase the revenue stream to these people. If she doesn't, she will not be voted in next time.

She does all this in the name of her voter's insatiable greed and her own self-interest.

"Firstly, you have to remember just who the Mayor works for.  It isn't the tourists, it isn't expats, or even Thais in Phuket." - you correct.

Yet, Phuket is marketed as  "A World Class Tourist Destination."  The problem is, the officials here couldn't give a damn about the tourists, which doesn't make for a successful and sustainable tourist industry. 

19 hours ago, Lokie said:

There you go again Talking Crap (great use of caps look and bold font yet your 'overwhelming support' is based on one poll in PG that grumpy ex-pats answered) 

Your footer says it all Re BS and you sure are an exponent of talking it, as for a decided issue, its Thailand - nothing is ever decided, sunbeds will return is just a matter of time, problem is it may be too late for places like Patong then, but hey they can rely on all the money people like you spend supporting the local economy and beaches, making Thailand a better place - right?

"sunbeds will return is just a matter of time, problem is it may be too late for places like Patong" - I agree. 

The sunbeds will return, but the tourists will not, and once these tourists have found an alternate holiday destination, it will take more than sunbeds to lure them back.  

5 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

"Firstly, you have to remember just who the Mayor works for.  It isn't the tourists, it isn't expats, or even Thais in Phuket." - you correct.

Yet, Phuket is marketed as  "A World Class Tourist Destination."  The problem is, the officials here couldn't give a damn about the tourists, which doesn't make for a successful and sustainable tourist industry. 

You really are the King of stating the obvious......

I'm trying to figure out why some enterprising locals aren't set up across the street from the beach renting out 3-5 pound aluminum lawn chairs and 1-2 pound umbrellas that tourists can easily carry 50 meters, set up by themselves and leave behind for the vendor to pick up later.  Hell, add wheels for the real old farts (like myself)

And with smart phones pretty ubiquitous, an app to order beers and burgers from across the street, to be delivered to said lawn chairs by attentive cabana boys and girls.  (And for techni-phobes, just give them 2 colored flags- wave one to order a beer and the other for a burger)

Seems like it doesn't encroach on the King's land, keeps the tourists out of the sun, properly fed and lubricated- and keeps Thais at work.

What am I missing?

Edited by impulse

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm trying to figure out why some enterprising locals aren't set up across the street from the beach renting out 3-5 pound aluminum lawn chairs and 1-2 pound umbrellas that tourists can easily carry 50 meters, set up by themselves and leave behind for the vendor to pick up later.  Hell, add wheels for the real old farts (like myself)

And with smart phones pretty ubiquitous, an app to order beers and burgers from across the street, to be delivered to said lawn chairs by attentive cabana boys and girls.  (And for techni-phobes, just give them 2 colored flags- wave one to order a beer and the other for a burger)

Seems like it doesn't encroach on the King's land, keeps the tourists out of the sun, properly fed and lubricated- and keeps Thais at work.

What am I missing?

Good thinking...........and the missing part might go something like this: GRAFT........to whom do I pay the money, how much is it and how many are there involved?