"Mummy when I grow up can I organize a coup?"

webfact

"Mummy when I grow up can I organize a coup?"

1p.jpg

Picture: Manager Online 

BANGKOK: -- The issue of Thai kids with guns on Children's Day has been slammed by foreign media as "inappropriate".

Thai media has said that foreign news organizations have suggested that allowing children to handle guns and military hardware was not right and "encouraging the use of force".

The foreign media suggested the issue had caused much online condemnation.

Blogger Richard Barrow and the BBC's Jonathan Head were in agreement that it was not a good idea, reported Manager in Thailand.

And one commentator went even further suggesting that it was encouraging Thai children to mount a coup.

Manager said in their report yesterday that the activities were part of fun for Thai youngsters at military installations on Children's Day on Saturday.

But that foreigners took it much more seriously.

They reported that well known blogger Richard Barrow was critical of allowing children to handle weapons. They said that Jonathan Head of the BBC agreed with him.

They had suggested this presented the Thai army in a bad light, said Manager.

They said that Jerome Taylor of AFP tweeted that it had been a good opportunity for the Thai army to encourage "use of force".

They reported that Gwen Robinson of educational organization ISIS in Myanmar wrote: "Mummy - when I grow up I want to overthrow the government" (translated from Thai).

Manager said that the RT news agency of Russia showed a video of Thai children being shown how to fire a war weapon and that the Russians had said this was criticized in the western news media.

But Manager intimated that it was just some fun on Children's Day.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-17

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really don't see the harm here, but I understand red reporters like the two mentioned in the article would bend something like this into a anti junta rant. This has been going on this way long before the junta and now its bad all of a sudden. 

I really don't see the harm here, but I understand red reporters like the two mentioned in the article would bend something like this into a anti junta rant. This has been going on this way long before the junta and now its bad all of a sudden. 

The Red Ranter's Tweets1484633225224.jpg.64009385691c53cd41d8881484633241712.jpg.7a0ca0ce536058358ecfa11484633257810.jpg.5acefcc61ee86b4891c6d1

21 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

The Red Ranter's Tweets1484633225224.jpg1484633241712.jpg1484633257810.jpg

Thanks yes those guys are known red supporters, point is that children's day and the army opening up their ranks for the kids has ben going on for a long time, long before the coup. Now its all of a sudden bad, while before they kept their mouth shut. Seems more a way of trying to score some points and have an anti junta rant at the same time.

As others have shown in other countries this happens too. 

I don't see the problem, if daddy is in the army than of course sonnyboy likes to hold a big gun once...and so do his friends.

But did they also open up the fire brigade for kids? Many kids love to see that as well. Or maybe a constructionsite where they can sit in a huge crane or a bulldozer?

Many Thai kids in BKK never ever see construction or any other hard real men's job, it's good for them to see that at a young age. If they never see it they might become katoeys and Thailand has enough of them already.

I am not sure there is a REAL problem.  The military is pervasive in Thai society anyway.  It is a pillar of the Thai state along with the Monarchy and Buddhsm.  Just the way it is.  Even if military involvement with children's day ceased, children would still be exposed through the media, family members being conscripted, the education system, etc Not the same as the west as far as separation of powers, or seapration of church and state.  It is Thailand.  

I have lived in the UK, USA, and OZ before Thailand.  In all countries I have been taken as a child with my siblings, or taken my children, or seen children taken to.....military air shows. trooping of tthe guard, marches, tours of foreign aircraft carriers, military bands at shows, observed training exercises like amphibious landings, base open days etc etc.  So far none of the family have organised a coup.

As said it is Thailand.  I would be impressed if coups were organised at all...like a executed plan with an outcome to a timeframe.  As it is I think they just have a roster for coups in Thailand.

Edited by mamborobert

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Why not let children be children for a few years they do not need this crap at this age as in later life its day after day crap like this by writers that are colour blind and Junta mad

4 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Why not let children be children for a few years they do not need this crap at this age as in later life its day after day crap like this by writers that are colour blind and Junta mad

Your totally missing the point, this is an event that has been organised for countless of years on children's day by the army. It predates the coup.

But now these 2 rather bias so called "reporters" are using it to turn it into an anti junta rant. They were bias in the past and still are.

Now your point of letting kids be kids for a few more years.. they are having fun its not military training for them its a fun day out.. a free fun day out that is for some families real important. Now I can understand the sentiment about kids and weapons and so on but I don't see why this had to be turned into anti junta rant by those two. 

The real pity is encouraging children to think that playing with and handling war weapons is a fun and everyday activity. 

Just like cars, guns are lethal weapons that demand respect, proper training and a mature attitude to ensure they are handled responsibly.

Saying it happens in other countries, like wild animal shows and cruelty to children, does not make it right. 

I know now I am asking a bit much for people here to adopt adult, responsible policies for firearms . I haven't seen it it any other aspect of life for the 95% of overgrown children I have had contact with.

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Your totally missing the point, this is an event that has been organised for countless of years on children's day by the army. It predates the coup.

But now these 2 rather bias so called "reporters" are using it to turn it into an anti junta rant. They were bias in the past and still are.

Now your point of letting kids be kids for a few more years.. they are having fun its not military training for them its a fun day out.. a free fun day out that is for some families real important. Now I can understand the sentiment about kids and weapons and so on but I don't see why this had to be turned into anti junta rant by those two. 

I would love to see your passport

every time I read one of your comments it contains Red and yellow inundos

with an outlook like that, nothing will ever change here

As for holiday and trolling look in the mirror

I respect your view but please do not try and ram it down my throat, Hilter did that and also lost.

Too much pressure on children today let them have an easy start to life not indoctrination

Blogger Richard Barrow and the BBC's Jonathan Head were in agreement that it was not a good idea, reported Manager in Thailand.

I don't see it as being particularly harmful, kids love that stuff. One thing I do know is that anything Jonathan Head is opposed to might be something that I would look on favorably.

Edited by ramrod711
punctuation

What a real to-do about nothing. It was children's day, about doing something different, having an adventure.

A supervised adventure.

If there was live ammunition available to the kids alongside the weapons, then there might be a little bit of concern.

Well I just read Jonathan Head's tweet, as posted by Robblock (thank you, I can't cope with Twitter myself - the technological pigmy is yet to emerge from the long grass of the Internet! ), and I really don't see it as an anti junta rant, merely an opinion.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

And children in the west are constantly bombarded with comics, movies and TV shows that glorify war and being a soldier.

GI_Joe_A_Real_American_Hero_1_cover.jpg