Tomato/ddrt flashed routers or flashable routers

Negita43

Hi everybody who is reading this thread. You will gather I am going to change my switch for a router and Crossy and Maxpower have been very helpful to me.

However, The 3 most important things before you do anything are:

yes you've guessed RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH.

So I found this site which I have found very useful. I think if you followed everyone of his suggestions you would have a router with no functionality but I think it's worth a read and full of links to test various aspects of your router security.

http://routersecurity.org/index.php

PS Crossy (and me since I'm buying one) lots of comments on Asus routers.

• 2 months later...

I use Asus RT-N16 which is available here.

Can you share what custom firmware type/release you are using?

Are you using the "Repeater Bridge" option? (Primary to Secondary over WiFi, both wired and WiFi on the secondary) I can't seem to get this mode to work, although I may be using too recent a release of DD-WRT. I haven't tried DNSMasq and VLAN configurations yet. I can get Client Bridge mode to work fine (Primary to Secondary over WiFi, wired only on secondary).

37 minutes ago, revelstone said:

The Linksys WRT1200AC or WRT1900AC runs LEDE (a fork of OpenWrt) very nicely and can be found for sale in Panthip Plaza.

Beware of V1 / V2.

V2 wireless does not work on 5 ghz due to driver issues.

• 1 year later...

After holding off getting fiber for a long time (reading about hassles  using your own router)

I finally bit the bullet and had ToT install it,

I asked specifically about bridge mode before at their office..they said no problem.

So installation day they hooked up my existing  Linksys WRT54GL  to the new  ZTE  GPON media converter and we got a whopping 14Mbps  WAN speed ?  they suggested the WRT54GL was "too old"

so they setup their supplied router (TOTO LINK A3002RU) and speed was 50Mbps as ordered

( cheapest )

they left me with the PPPoE connection details    which uses both user name and password,

username is written on the ZTE unit + @fttxhome    password  you have to ask for nicely  from the installation crew.

Ordered an ASUS RT-AC86U  connected it up to the ZTE LAN socket,  input PPPoE credentials  Internet worked straight away.

I then flashed the  ASUSWRT-Merlin firmware 384.5   reboot and to my surprise didn't even need to input credentials again..working like a charm.

1643930424_P_20180602_131701(Large).jpg.24848807a3c97fbf041ab952ca9f02b9.jpg

edit_P_20180602_131623.thumb.jpg.9289cab771c5ef1e598d5ff3c6978ad9.jpg

edit_P_20180602_131615.thumb.jpg.82d873b7e67e086cbf06122bf425b7e6.jpg

merlin.jpg.26cdf71c63e936649b101740bf3542e7.jpg

• Like 2

Yea, the ASUS 86U is a nice router....I've had mine about 6 months.  It connected up right away to my AIS Fibre provided router set to bridge mode....I only needed to enter my User ID and password into the ASUS automatic WAN setup and it handled everything else.   

I bought mine locally in a store for around Bt7900.  But you can get it for less online....and if ordering from GearBest you can get it for under Bt6,000.  It comes in Chinese packaging and only a year's warranty (std GearBest warranty vs the Asus  5 year warranty) but the same firmware just like you bought the router locally, in the US, etc.

https://www.gearbest.com/wireless-routers/pp_662065.html?wid=1433363

image.png.a9a35476a73e8f2b0598718519ceeb79.png 

Edited by Pib

10 hours ago, johng said:

I'm a bit concerned about reports of the ASUS routers being hacked

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/possibly-been-hacked-need-assistant-from-senior-users.45597

Damn. I just ordered AC86u from gearbest at 179.99 usd

I use wrt3200acm but I really hate openwrt/LEDE it requires too much manual intervention to do many things. Asuswrt is much easier and user friendly.

And you made a durn good choice in ordering an Asus router, especially one of their top of line routers. 

Heck, all manufacturer router have vulnerabilities....and manufacturers like Asus quickly release firmware updates to close the door on those vulnerabilities.   But other manufacturers may not quickly release an update...or worst yet, never release an update....whatever initially came on the router is the first and last release in some cases.   And even if a manufacturer regularly releases firmware updates it doesn't mean nothing if the owner/user doesn't install them.

This first and last release can easily happen on those routers bought in quantity by ISP like TOT, 3BB, AIS, etc.  For example I went to the Huawei support website to look-up the model number of the Huawei router AIS provided me....zero firmware updates for download.  Fortunately, that  Huawei router is set to bridge mode (just a signal converter now) and my Asus router provides all router duties to including guarding the internet wall...and it's been getting firmware updates every few months which I immediately install to ensure it continue to do an outstanding job of guarding the wall....definitely a lot better job than those router manufacturers which infrequently release (or never) release firmware updates.

Below  website displays router equipment vulnerabilities and exposes.  I looked up three popular manufacturers....Huawei, TP Link, and Asus to see how many vulnerabilities have been discovered for 2018.   137 for Huawei, 25 for TP Link, and 7 for Asus.  See snapshots below...and remember each manufacturer has fielded many router models over recent years...like Huawei has fielded 962 since 2007.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vendor/firstchar-1/

Huawei Routers....137 vulnerabilities so far in 2018

image.png.4d6c3d7ac4e53a82bd2a2df3d28f6147.png

TP Link...25 Vulnerabilities so far in 2018

image.png.bfbdd8231315d5e70ed9a3d1f1d2e13a.png

ASUS...7 Vulnerabilities so far in 2018

image.png.80f3cff4f4f59ee34607f496ccfab5b6.png

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1