First Pattaya visit. Plastic everywhere!

khunpa

Last week was my first 4 day visit to Pattaya after 7 years of living in Thailand (Bangkok, Hua Hin and now Chiang Mai). Had a few business meetings there (possible Condo Investments) and was quite excited to finally see what Pattaya was all about.

Anyway, must admit that I was kind of surprised about the whole experience. Of course the place is known for its nightlife and compared to the other places I have lived here, this was pretty overwhelming. However, nothing that chocked me, although I thought it was "way too much". 

What surprised me the most was driving along the beach and seeing how dirty it was. Filled with plastic and tourist sunbathing in what looking like a garbage dump place. 

I am really surprised the city has grown so much and become so popular (I guess only due to the sex-industry). How people can choose to live there full time or even go on holiday there, is beyond my understanding. Visit the place for a party night out with friends I can understand, but besides that....

I really can not see Pattaya ever becoming a place for quality tourists or families, unless they totally redo the place and get the beach cleaned up. Why do none of the expats living and investing there, do something to influence the authorities there to at least clean up the beaches? And how can anyone truly believe that beaches filled with rubbish, can attract anyone besides low-income sex-tourists? 

Overall really a bad experience and for sure not a place, I will ever visit again. (or invest in). And what a shame really. Because the potential is there, but its just a complete mess. (worst I have ever seen in Thailand)

Edited by khunpa

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Jip99 said:

Many people (mainly Thais) have invested there successfully despite it being a shit-hole.

Don't let emotion cloud your 'business' judgement.

Or maybe stick to the Boonies....

I know a lot of people have invested there successfully (including my Thai and Farang Friends). 

However, and as you say, the place truly is a shit-hole, which tells me that the place is a long-term bad investment (just my opinion).

2 minutes ago, bangkokorbust said:

Dude you will die of boredom in Chiang mai. Living in Chiang mai retirement village vs Pattaya? My heart still beating so pattttaaayyyaaa!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I agree, that CM is "boring". However, with cheap flights to both Pattaya and Bangkok (I prefer Bangkok), then CM is a great place to live what I would describe as a more "normal" life. If I want to party hard, I can always visit. But I could never live there. 

I agree, that CM is "boring". However, with cheap flights to both Pattaya and Bangkok (I prefer Bangkok), then CM is a great place to live what I would describe as a more "normal" life. If I want to party hard, I can always visit. But I could never live there.   

Cheap flights to Pattaya? With who.

I just spent 3 weeks in Chiang mai, booked for 4 but escaped. Chiang mai is wonderful if your 80 and tucked up in bed at 10pm. Or if you like befriending the hoards of back packers, never again for me!

You should have had a look at jomtien many choose to live there because it's just a sleepy little seaside town but just 15 mins from Pattaya By baht bus to party , it's sort of a chiag Mai by the sea and condos way cheaper

The new militarily appointed "article 44 mayor" of Pattaya has has said he wants to change the sin/sex city image and attract "high end tourist and families"

I think he's got a monumental job to do because high ends expect hi end infrastructure,not potholed roads,un walkable sidewalks,rabid soi dogs,garbage dumped everywhere,waste water disposed of into the sea in designated swimming areas,a Marina that was broken before it ever opened,taxis that won't use the meter and horrendous traffic jams every weekend.

Once all those and more are fixed I'm sure some high ends would come for the sin and sex.

3 minutes ago, johng said:

The new militarily appointed "article 44 major" of Pattaya has has said he wants to change the sin/sex city image and attract "high end tourist and families"
I think he's got a monumental job to do because high ends expect hi end infrastructure,not potholed roads,un walkable sidewalks,rabid soi dogs,garbage dumped everywhere,waste water disposed of into the sea in designated swimming areas,taxis that won't use the meter and horrendous traffic jams every weekend.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Big job big job

50 minutes ago, bangkokorbust said:

I just spent 3 weeks in Chiang mai, booked for 4 but escaped. Chiang mai is wonderful if your 80 and tucked up in bed at 10pm. Or if you like befriending the hoards of back packers, never again for me!

You should have had a look at jomtien many choose to live there because it's just a sleepy little seaside town but just 15 mins from Pattaya By baht bus to party , it's sort of a chiag Mai by the sea and condos way cheaper

Air Asia flys daily and directly to Pattaya from CM. I personally consider the tickets to be very cheap. 

I fully understand why many people find CM boring, because it is very boring, if bars and nightlife is a priority. But for a place of living with a family (with small kids) and working, it is a great and very cheap place to live. Lots and lots of places to visit in the weekends. And most important! It is does not have garbage thrown everywhere.

I would for sure never want to take my family to Pattaya for a weekend trip. Then there are so many other better and cleaner places to visit in Thailand. 

Edited by khunpa

Air Asia flys daily and directly to Pattaya from CM. I personally consider the tickets to be very cheap. 

I fully understand why many people find CM boring, because it is very boring, if bars and nightlife is a priority. But for a place of living with a family (with small kids) and working, it is a great and very cheap place to live. Lots and lots of places to visit in the weekends. And most important! It is does not have garbage thrown everywhere.

I would for sure never want to take my family to Pattaya for a weekend trip. Then there are so many other better and cleaner places to visit in Thailand. 

Ahh ok family changes everything especially kids you should have mentioned it. Agreed chiang mai is for you for sure.

That's the bit i don't understand also.People come half way around the world to swim and lay in a rubbish tip.Europe must be really bad,if they actually pay for this.I haven't swam or set foot on Pattaya beach since 86 when  a Richard the Third,the size of the Titanic went bobbing past my ubsubmerged head.

These days being a greeny i could grab a floating plastic bag and collect it,i suppose.

Edited by louse1953

Pattaya is what it is and lets keep it that way.It is good to keep that type of entertainment in the one spot and leave the rest of the country be.Small out breaks in the other beach resorts but all under control.If i need some golf and action at night i know where to go.I don't want the rubbernecks of the world hanging around my neck of the rice paddy.

4 hours ago, bangkokorbust said:

A sea you can't swim in,whats the use,just gawk at it all day.Jomtein is just a poor mans Patts.

"How people can choose to live there full time or even go on holiday there, is beyond my understanding"

What is beyond my understand is how anybody who could pretend having a brain could think that Pattaya is only beach road and walking street.

But you are right, who is stupid enough to live on beach road when there are hundreds kilometers of front beach east and west of Pattaya.

Anyway, maybe one day you will understand why we call the rest of Thailand ridiculous places to live.

3 hours ago, khunpa said:

Chiang mai just like Phuket or anywhere else where you need more than 2 hours driving from BKK to go, are just stupid place where to live.

If you don't know yet, your kds will teach you later.

I understand your sentiments quite well...I wish I could have seen the place about 50 years ago...if you squint your eyes, you can imagine how lovely the nature was there, before the unchecked development...mountains and beaches make a beautiful image...

5 hours ago, bangkokorbust said:

Couldn't agree more. I could never live in Pattaya. Great for the occasional visit but I have lived in Jomptien now for more than a year and absolutely love it. 

Problem, solution.

Walking the beach yesterday I noticed all the plastic and other garbage lying around. Having lived near a tourist beach along Lake Michigan I know there is a solution. A gas powered beach sweeper. It has prongs on a wide round rotating spindle that goes four inches below the sand level picking up everything and dropping it in a trailing cart to be dumped. Twice a day, morning and afternoon it ran the beach.