Class action lawsuit filed over ‘substandard’ Ford vehicles

Class action lawsuit filed over ‘substandard’ Ford vehicles

By The Nation

4c7c9aab2362aa8302dfc1ec3159d588-sld.jpeg

Ten representatives of 400 customers who have filed complaints about the alleged substandard condition and performance of Ford Fiesta and Ford Focus vehicles have lodged a joint civil lawsuit, demanding Bt24.75 million in compensation from four Ford-affiliated companies on Monday.

The group, accompanied by lawyers Kriengkrai Nakhawaree and Paiboon Polthanawasit, filed the lawsuit at the Southern Bangkok Civil Court against Ford Motor Company (Thailand) Ltd, Ford Sales and Service (Thailand) Ltd, Ford Operations (Thailand) Ltd and Ford Service (Thailand) Ltd. 

The plaintiffs alleged the car models were faulty, unsafe and substandard, which imposed risks for consumers. They demanded the defendants buy back the cars and also pay compensation worth more than Bt24 million, Kriengkrai said. 

He said the class action lawsuit’s result would have a binding effect for other similarly damaged persons.

One of the plaintiffs, Korbsak Numnoi, said the plaintiffs had been fighting for their rights for almost three years and had filed complaints with various agencies including the Office of the Consumer Protection Board, the Thai Industrial Standards Institute and the Land Transport Department.

The lack of progress had caused them to file the class action lawsuit, he said. 

“There likely will be no negotiation, as the defendant companies all along refused to negotiate,” he added.

Fifty other Ford owners who have also claimed damages were present outside the court to express supports for the plaintiffs. 

The civil court scheduled a review of the evidence to be held on July 3.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30311172

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-4-3

And folk still buy them...

Well suppose folk don't know about the problems before buying. If it wasn't for reading stuff here nor would I..But then again I wouldn't buy a Ford in LOS, home fixes have long gone.. 

Chevy drivers refer (with tongue in cheek) that FORD stands for Fix Or Repair Daily. Actually ford is a great vehicle when made in other countries.The problem here is the lack or substandard quality control.Don't forget that many of these positions are either bought or having a relative put there whether they know the job or not.

Just now, sanukjim said:

Chevy drivers refer (with tongue in cheek) that FORD stands for Fix Or Repair Daily. Actually ford is a great vehicle when made in other countries.The problem here is the lack or substandard quality control.Don't forget that many of these positions are either bought or having a relative put there whether they know the job or not.

Ford a great vehicle in other countries built with the same transmission as the Thai ones causing this lawsuit?

1 hour ago, sanukjim said:

Actually ford is a great vehicle when made in other countries.The problem here is the lack or substandard quality control.Don't forget that many of these positions are either bought or having a relative put there whether they know the job or not.

What a load of twaddle..........facepalm.gif.2cd6aec5cb7856134c517df1ae254785.gif

Ford Ranger Pick Ups are a class leader, and exported to many countries from here.  I had one of the first Turbo 4x4s in 1999 and kept it for many years.   I think that the Hi-tek autobox on these saloon cars is the problem, and I'm not even sure if these are locally made.

Ford Thailand Management have behaved despicably  in this case.  Like many other Thai companies, they are still very primitive in their attitude to Consumer Rights.   The lawsuit is a positive development....I applaud it.

According to ThaiPBS, it's those pesky Ford  "choke absorbers" which has gotten everyone's knickers in a twist.  

Only in LOS . . .
IMG_9386.PNG.0368733fff5a38b074146b6c7c3f2ee2.PNG

ThaiPBS have written a complete lie. Hopefully Ford will sue for libel.

As for cars manufactured here, a trained monkey could work on a modern production line (fortunately) and has little bearing on the quality of the finished product.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, sanukjim said:

What are you on about. The issue raised here is about the DCT which has had issues around the world. Aside from this incident, you only have to google Ford and recall to see they've just issued a warning for 441k cars from various models in US and Europe, as well as 52k F250. To say it's somehow Thai Ford cars only have problems is a load of rubbish.

1 hour ago, thaiturkey said:

Ford Ranger Pick Ups are a class leader, and exported to many countries from here.  I had one of the first Turbo 4x4s in 1999 and kept it for many years.   I think that the Hi-tek autobox on these saloon cars is the problem, and I'm not even sure if these are locally made.

Ford Thailand Management have behaved despicably  in this case.  Like many other Thai companies, they are still very primitive in their attitude to Consumer Rights.   The lawsuit is a positive development....I applaud it.

Ford had a chance to do the right thing, but I guess they didn't want to open the floodgates which a class action will now do.

That said, asking for 80% of the original price after using the car for 2-3 years is unreasonable. Depreciation for Fords is dreadful so I supposed they could argue that was caused because of the crappy transmission choice. I'm kinda expecting MG to have these issues in a couple of years time.

3 minutes ago, ChesneyHawkes said:

Ford had a chance to do the right thing, but I guess they didn't want to open the floodgates which a class action will now do.

That said, asking for 80% of the original price after using the car for 2-3 years is unreasonable. Depreciation for Fords is dreadful so I supposed they could argue that was caused because of the crappy transmission choice. I'm kinda expecting MG to have these issues in a couple of years time.

Surely not Morris Garages..............:shock1:

6 minutes ago, thaiturkey said:

NOT REALLY

the MG brand was sold to a Chinese company, who are now using it to market cheap MIC crap.  They are not even Sports Cars!

Same as Mini Cooper was sold to BMW.........:sad:......Travesty...

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

2 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

According to ThaiPBS, it's those pesky Ford  "choke absorbers" which has gotten everyone's knickers in a twist.  

Only in LOS . . .

IMG_9386.PNG

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

ThaiPBS have written a complete lie. Hopefully Ford will sue for libel.

As for cars manufactured here, a trained monkey could work on a modern production line (fortunately) and has little bearing on the quality of the finished product.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

IMG_9325.JPG

1 hour ago, transam said:

Same as Mini Cooper was sold to BMW.........:sad:......Travesty...

Not quite the same. The BMW mini isn't a bad car and certainly a big seller, don't know if you can say the same for the MG.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Not quite the same. The BMW mini isn't a bad car and certainly a big seller, don't know if you can say the same for the MG.

I have no idea about the MG and it's new owners via buying the name...Mini Cooper and MG are UK names that have been bought for their prestige.....End of story...

1 minute ago, transam said:

I have no idea about the MG and it's new owners via buying the name...Mini Cooper and MG are UK names that have been bought for their prestige.....End of story...

The buying of, or amalgamating other brands has been going on for as long as motoring itself. Nothing new in both the Mini and MG being owned by other companies.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The buying of, or amalgamating other brands has been going on for as long as motoring itself. Nothing new in both the Mini and MG being owned by other companies.

Jaguar, Rover, RR, Bentley......All names bought up by non UK folk......NAMES..

5 hours ago, ChesneyHawkes said:

• True, 120% would have been more reasonable considering what they've been through..   :bah:

On 04/04/2017 at 5:13 PM, transam said:

Jaguar, Rover, RR, Bentley......All names bought up by non UK folk......NAMES..

I think MG is different. They bought the name to try to give the impression their crap cars were "sporty" with decades of British heritage and engineering skill. They even produce them with Union flags on etc. At least Jags, RR etc are the same cars, built the same way, just owned by someone else.

29 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I think MG is different. They bought the name to try to give the impression their crap cars were "sporty" with decades of British heritage and engineering skill. They even produce them with Union flags on etc. At least Jags, RR etc are the same cars, built the same way, just owned by someone else.

Doesn't a RR have a BMW engine...?

May I add, MG, Morris, Austin, Riley, Austin Healey, Wolseley all taken into the BMC fold all used basic BMC engines, they just changed the cam and added carbs for the sporty stuff.

When Rover took over MG they put a Rover V8 in an MGB (MGV8), an American designed engine...

6 minutes ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

In the real RR's of the original cars all had RR engines only in later years did they downgrade to the german stuff, cost saving

Perhaps, but thankfully Bentley are still doing their own thing.....

It was sad that the UK could not design and build a V8 for performance or luxury rides except the big boys, RR/Bentley, Aston and Daimler...Triumph tried and failed, Rover bought the USA Buick design.....UK car industry management has a lot to answer for...:sad:

20 hours ago, transam said:

Perhaps, but thankfully Bentley are still doing their own thing.....

It was sad that the UK could not design and build a V8 for performance or luxury rides except the big boys, RR/Bentley, Aston and Daimler...Triumph tried and failed, Rover bought the USA Buick design.....UK car industry management has a lot to answer for...:sad:

Isn't the W12 engine a Volkswagen engine?