You be the Judge (Jury and Executioner)

Judge, Jury and Executioner  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, had a low speed altercation with an old dear on a bicycle the morning. Dashcam footage below.

Didn't call the insurance, lady appeared ok, shaken but not stirred. Left her chatting with Wifey (said I'd pay for fixing the bike, coz I'm a nice guy).

Anyway she went to hospital, (apparently) broken toe and instruction to have a week off work (she does freelance gardening), IMHO stirring the pot somewhat, Wifey called the insurance.

Insurance chap came over this evening, advised admitting fault and they would pay everything (I didn't show him the dashcam footage, no real point).

Anyway, dashcam footage below, the action (could you really call it that) starts at about 2.00. The soundtrack is BBC Radio 2, online, on digital and on 88-91FM.

I lay myself at the feet of the Thaivisa collective.

My fault? Her fault? 50-50?

And may The Lord have mercy on my soul.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeell, your music was the tops......I was a bit head nodding until....:shock1:......

In all honesty I reckon it was down to you....The last thing we do is look left again. Yeh perhaps she was on a pedal bike, was on the wrong side of the road with no lights, but we have been here long enough to expect that stuff.....Think the BiB "here" would side with her....

1 minute ago, transam said:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeell, your music was the tops......I was a bit head nodding until....:shock1:......

In all honesty I reckon it was down to you....The last thing we do is look left again. Yeh perhaps she was on a pedal bike, was on the wrong side of the road with no lights, but we have been here long enough to expect that stuff.....Think the BiB "here" would side with her....

I suppose we're expected to have eyes in the back of our heads as well? Is the falang ever in the right?

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I suppose we're expected to have eyes in the back of our heads as well? Is the falang ever in the right?

No, just left and right and left again, if all clear proceed...:stoner:

Just now, transam said:

No, just left and right and left again, if all clear proceed...:stoner:

I guess I need to buy a pair of infrared night vision goggles for those pesky unlit vehicles driving on the wrong side of the road.:shock1:

5 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

If you hadn't have moved just that little bit forward you could have got away with 50-50 ..

She told the insurance chap "I saw k. David, I didn't think he would go, but he did".

In my defence, that road is pretty busy even at 6AM, plenty to occupy your mind coming from the right. I will be more careful in future.

She's got the right of way unimpeded.....

You didn't really do anything textbook wrong....

Unfortunate timing more than anything else....

Edited by pgrahmm

Difficult call mate, bad condition, visibility not good, music blast perhaps altering your caution.   Lucky not serious.. .suck it up and pay up....not out....

More cautious now... right..

Good Luck..

Your a brave man , opening a poll.  OK , in England , 100% her fault - wrong side of the road , at night , no lights or reflective gear.   BUT  , you knew there would be a but , didnt you.  T I T , and we know we are to look left , right and up.  Often "our" fault. No big damage , live and learn  etc. If insurance premium isnt affected , leave it to them.

Yeah, there's always a BUT :sad:

Visibility isn't wonderful from our driveway at the best of times, the noodle shop to the left has a large sign that restricts the view and you have to get quite a way out to see round the tree on the right (not our tree).

@JAS21 has first hand experience in broad daylight, 6AM is a whole new ball game.

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I like the white ducks that waddle past in the right hand side during the first 20 seconds.

They're our guard-geese :smile:

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, there's always a BUT :sad:

Visibility isn't wonderful from our driveway at the best of times, the noodle shop to the left has a large sign that restricts the view and you have to get quite a way out to see round the tree on the right (not our tree).

@JAS21 has first hand experience in broad daylight, 6AM is a whole new ball game.

Yep - every day there's one noodle shop that puts signs out right in the line of sight + maybe a vehicle at the same curb.....I have to judge three lanes of traffic coming right to left & occasionally something coming up from a gas station 50 meters on the left.....Almost  a blind curb entry.....

But - I know Who's fault it will be of I cross into traffic & contact is made.....

Even if she'd hit your left front fender they'd probably still fault you....

Yeah, like others have said you would have been okay elsewhere due to the fact that she was on the wrong side of the road with no lights.
But ( there it is again ), you are the rich farang so will probably have no option but to pay up .
It's a shame cos if you would have looked left one more time it would have been avoided.
Not blaming you personally, I've done similar ☹️

24 minutes ago, Crossy said:

They're our guard-geese :smile:

And they'll guard a place like a dog will + you can't talk to geese like you might be able to with a dog...

They just charge right at you like a bull - or your car - or your motorcycle.....

I watched it on a bigger screen and in slow motion a couple of times ... seems to me that she came into car cam view before you actually moved.

She was stupid having no lights, I can see her point of view ...no lights so better to ride against the traffic as at least can see what is coming. Well from down the road anyway :sad:.

Just another of those three unfortunate 'things' that make an event.    

1 ... if you had gone earlier when you had the chance ....

2 ... if she had lights you no doubt would have seen her ...

3  ... If you had given another look left you would more than likely seen her...

Lucky you now have an auto as a manual might have eased forward quicker. 

I agree with your earlier statement ... even in daylight you need to ease well out to see. When I exit your place Mrs J's face has been known to change colour ... brown to white :smile:

From your car cam video I think that you have to hold your hand up on this one....just

Edited by JAS21

Thai lady is riding wrong side of road she can see you,.. you cannot see her without having eyes in the left side of your head.

I'd tell insurance guy to go and delete himself before more & more Thai people get wind of this in a way to make some money.

Silly how these people think they can ignore basic rules of traffic.

Driving on wrong side and endangering oncoming traffic.

No lights on but probably blinded by the lights of the oncoming traffic.

In Thailand bicycle are the second lowest caste just above pedestrians and it is completely silly of her to even expect that a big car would take notice of her at all.

For me it's a 90/10 case. 90 percent on the bicycle rider, 10 percent on you.

I had similar near misses with motorbikes.

Hell, I have to buy a dashcam tomorrow.

We are in Thailand: take responsibility and let the insurer pay.

They will usually take care that demands don't grow to heaven.

(she being a university graduated landscape engineer, bicycle  being handmade from titanium in an Italian workshop :tongue:)

Getting up at the crack of dawn ......felony charge right there.You are supposed to be sneaking back into the house at that time of day.

Listening to the BBC ???? Deary me , whatever next.

33 minutes ago, transam said:

Just a thought, lets dismiss the bike for a mo and the bird was walking or jogging......

Who's fault then...?

I doubt it could be argued other than being my fault, although pedestrians should never pass in front of a vehicle.

But she wasn't walking or jogging.

I must admit that I'm somewhat surprised nobody has voted 50-50 as yet, very much a black-and-white vote.

My fault for not looking properly, hers for ghost-riding.