Medical cover in Thailand - Age 86

33 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

But how will they even know in the first place it is a pre-condition & how will they be able to check it? It's not like your medical records are in Thailand. They'd be in your home country.

Internet? Insurance companies are stupid?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, bbi1 said:

That means I'm getting ripped off paying a 30% loading every year to be covered for asthma. I should try and negotiate this 30% loading to be taken off my premiums.

My Asthma treatment at the local gov hospital costs 700 bht a month on average if that helps.

1 hour ago, cooked said:

Internet? Insurance companies are stupid?

How? They just Google search your name on the internet?

Or somehow get access to your private confidential health records in your home country when they have no permission or authority to do so?

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Or somehow get access to your private confidential health records in your home country when they have no permission or authority to do so?

You can be sure that insurance companies keep records of your previous claims and have an extensive data bank.

10 minutes ago, cooked said:

You can be sure that insurance companies keep records of your previous claims and have an extensive data bank.

And if you've never made any claims from them before? And you've never had any health insurance policies during your whole life, only free healthcare in your home country?

Ok, so they keep records of your previous claims from them. But what does that mean? You are still covered because you have a continuous policy renewed yearly with them after the claim therefore your new condition is covered in the future anyway.

Just now, bbi1 said:

And if you've never made any claims from them before?

Ok, so they keep records of your previous claims from them. But what does that mean? You are still covered because you have a continuous policy renewed yearly with them after the claim therefore your new condition is covered in the future anyway.

Ok, so lie to the insurance company, pay premiums for years and maybe everything will be ok.

3 minutes ago, cooked said:

Ok, so lie to the insurance company, pay premiums for years and maybe everything will be ok.

I'm not saying to lie, but I' curious how they will even know when they can't just access private confidential medical records in your home country. The insurance company is based somewhere in Europe, you are getting treatment in Thailand and your home country is somewhere else in the world. Before you said "Be assured that they WILL check if you have a pre-condition and WILL find out about them."

It is a doggie dog world when it comes to medical here.  When I first came here over 10 years, the only thing wrong with me was my cholesterol.  The result they said they would cover me but not anything to do related with my heart.. that was like saying to me pay the full premium but we will cover you for half your body.  Since I had already disclosed the information, when I return home I got a full physical, full blood panel and everything came up negative with a written statement from my physician. Came back submitted the documents insurance company and the requirements were removed.

If you read the fine print of your Thai policy, they are all the same and the same stated, they can access your record from any hospital in Thailand if you have had service in one.  A good and sad example, is my Thai wife one year I applied for a AIA policy, we filled out all the documents and took her to a BPH clinic for a mouth swap. A few weeks later the agent came back to the house and said she was decline, I ask why, and all I got was don't know call the office. I called still no answer I finally wrote to the HQ in Bangkok and never got a response. It wasn't so much she was refused but I wanted to know if there was something wrong with her.

Thereafter I was able to obtain a policy through a Expat club for her, paid for two years never used, on the 3rd year she became very sick, she had the look of death. I took her to BPH, after a number of test we were told she had Leukemia. The news we also got from the doctor was the insurance she was covered for the last few years is refusing treatment and payment because they claim we knew about the leukemia ( Pre-existing Condition) since she had the test by AIA at BPH. 

This is the reason, I never have any checkup done in any hospital in the area of Pattaya. I use a number of hospital in Bangkok using a fake Passport with a different name.

I know who the CEO, is in Thailand of AIA, and there isn't a day I don't think about this company. 

The upshot is he'd need 4 or 5 million baht to cover himself for a long term decline and death in a Thai public hospital. 

And even then would be unlikely to receive the comprehensive treatment available in the UK.

He'd be better off staying in UK and coming out to visit for a few months every year.

6 hours ago, mommysboy said:

The upshot is he'd need 4 or 5 million baht to cover himself for a long term decline and death in a Thai public hospital. 

And even then would be unlikely to receive the comprehensive treatment available in the UK.

He'd be better off staying in UK and coming out to visit for a few months every year.

This is the best and very simple solution to a very complex problem

Keep the home in England, keep all the Uk benefits, legally, be out of the uk each year for Dec, Jan Feb March and April, and when the flights a problem it is the time to stay at home

If 60 yrs old a very different but still complex problem to resolve

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2017 at 9:02 AM, al007 said:

If 60 yrs old a very different but still complex problem to resolve

True in some respect,  at 57 retiring Thailand it took me a while to settle but mainly coming from UK acclimatize,  staying to reached 86 in UK l would only holiday if l could as said.  

I think l said before l didn't health insure myself apart accident in Thailand until l was 68 it wasn't complex or a problem.

l agree entirely as said at 86 keep the home in England, keep all the Uk benefits.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2017 at 9:58 AM, ujayujay said:

Nonsense:coffee1:

Women will accompany him out and about but not sleep with him for this reason. I know this for a fact. Whether you are an 85 yo geezer and can get the odd bird to bed that's just an anomaly. Of course, lower ones standards enough and anything is possible.

Another issue with old men, they can't get erect and don't use condoms. Why? THEY are going to die in X years anyway! No thought about others they infect. I know of this first hand as well. Dirty old men literally.

Sorry for the hijack.

On 6/5/2017 at 11:13 AM, bbi1 said:

Ya ever read those sheets you sign when you register with a new hospital or a new doctor for the first time?  The part where you authorize them to release your medical records as required by law, and for the purposes of getting paid?  Kind of scary, really- in a Big Brother way.  They have us by the short and curlies because they have teams of lawyers.  

I suspect they also sell the information on for statistical and marketing purposes, but that may be the wingnut conspiracy fan in me.

Edit:  Bringing it back on topic- it's not wise to bet they won't find out about pre-existing conditions, especially if the bill is big enough to send an investigator (they have teams of those, too) to look for reasons not to pay.  And that's the one you really, really need cover for.

8 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

Women will accompany him out and about but not sleep with him for this reason. I know this for a fact. Whether you are an 85 yo geezer and can get the odd bird to bed that's just an anomaly. Of course, lower ones standards enough and anything is possible.

Another issue with old men, they can't get erect and don't use condoms. Why? THEY are going to die in X years anyway! No thought about others they infect. I know of this first hand as well. Dirty old men literally.

Sorry for the hijack.

If they can't get erect and don't use a condom how do they infect anybody? Everybody is going to die in X years and I'm sure old men have no wish to infect anybody. Maybe it's the people you mix with.

Ya ever read those sheets you sign when you register with a new hospital or a new doctor for the first time?  The part where you authorize them to release your medical records as required by law, and for the purposes of getting paid?  Kind of scary, really- in a Big Brother way.  They have us by the short and curlies because they have teams of lawyers.  

I suspect they also sell the information on for statistical and marketing purposes, but that may be the wingnut conspiracy fan in me.

Edit:  Bringing it back on topic- it's not wise to bet they won't find out about pre-existing conditions, especially if the bill is big enough to send an investigator (they have teams of those, too) to look for reasons not to pay.  And that's the one you really, really need cover for.

Many of the big ticket items are from conditions that by their nature will have been years in the making. It is neither accurate nor fair to think insurance companies automatically try to get out of paying -- at least not reputable ones. What they will do invariably is look at how long the policy has been in place and the nature of the illness, and when they see something that has a good likelihood of having pre-existed or had a non-declared pre-existing risk factor then they will indeed start digging.

Archived