Train from Bangkok to CM

THAIPHUKET

On 5/29/2017 at 5:47 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Can I put a big suitcase under the seat? From the other pics the only luggage rack is a rather small one on the ceiling.

The old cars used to have racks beside each seat which were excellent.

Don't like leaving a big bag in the walkway, though the seat looks wide enough to have it on the bed.

I wouldn't bring one of those rigid bags with the wheels that everyone has in the airport. If you can find a soft bag that works more like a backpack, you'll be pleased.

On 5/27/2017 at 5:39 PM, THAIPHUKET said:

Very substantiated suggestions. Just wonderful !

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

There have been a lot of changes recently so do not pay any attention to anything that is not recent. It is a long journey to be looking out the window all the time so a sleeper is the better bet. If I remember right there are 2 trains to CM so you can choose whether you want to look out the window when you leave or when you arrive. As far as I am aware they now use the new rolling stock which is very comfortable, you can check that with the seat61 website.

First or Second class - up to you. My preference is the first class, its more private if you wish to have a drink, its quieter and the toilet facilities are more available. There is also wifi on the new rolling stock which I have to assume would also be available in second class.

I went up to Udon a few weeks ago and had a very enjoyable journey both ways.

You can book at any railway station up to 60 days in advance. Here in Chonburi they insist on ID for all passengers so it is not possible over the phone as has been suggested, it may have been before the rape case.

During peak periods and as there are limited numbers the first class can be sold out quickly. If getting to the station is a problem then the best bet is use an agency like 12go.asia. They will charge a booking fee which if I remember right depends on whether you have the tickets posted or collected, collection I think is 300 baht. Their office is in Hua Lamphong and they will take the booking at any time and then at the 60 days go and buy your tickets.

Enjoy the trip.

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

If I remember right there are 2 trains to CM so you can choose whether you want to look out the window when you leave or when you arrive.

I look out the window both times.coffee1.gif

4 hours ago, Rob13 said:

I look out the window both times.coffee1.gif

Good one, no real answer to that. 

I was trying to relate to the amount of daylight but your quite right the windows are there all the time.

14 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

I wouldn't bring one of those rigid bags with the wheels that everyone has in the airport. If you can find a soft bag that works more like a backpack, you'll be pleased.

Absolutely my case is soft and can squash a bit, but as I can't carry 30 kg anymore has wheels.

Those hard sided ones are probably great for air travel, but not so much for ground travel.

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

It is a long journey to be looking out the window all the time so a sleeper is the better bet. If I remember right there are 2 trains to CM so you can choose whether you want to look out the window when you leave or when you arrive. As far as I am aware they now use the new rolling stock which is very comfortable, you can check that with the seat61 website.

To each their own. I always enjoyed the day train, but it's useless with a big bag.

There are three trains to C M, at least tonight. I didn't want to go on the first as arrives too early ( if on time ). 

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

To each their own. I always enjoyed the day train, but it's useless with a big bag.

There are three trains to C M, at least tonight. I didn't want to go on the first as arrives too early ( if on time ). 

There are only 2 with first class carriages Nos 9 & 13, which would be why I only remembered it being 2. We went on the later as the train from Chonburi does not get into Bangkok until about 6.30 and I think that was about 2 hours late, I'm fairly sure it was about mid day when we got to the hotel in the centre of CM.