Police and trade department warn the Chiang Mai public and traders: Don't use pirated software

webfact

Police and trade department warn the Chiang Mai public and traders: Don't use pirated software

aHR0cDovL3BlMS5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3VkLzQ3OC8yMzkxMTUwLzcwMC5qcGc=.jpg

Picture: Sanook

CHIANG MAI: -- Sanook reported that police and trade department officials in Chiang Mai were getting tough on pirated software in the northern capital.

Yesterday four raids were mounted on shops in several shopping centers including Central Festival, Central Airport Plaza and Icon Square.

The raiding party were particularly on the lookout for fake Microsoft software.

The officials cautioned that using such products was not just against the law but left users vulnerable to cyber attack including viruses such as malware.

No details were given in the story about what was found during the raids.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-13

As already stated 99% of software here is fake.

Two years ago i bought a new laptop from a large computer shop, with branches around Thailand.

After a few weeks i got shut down for using fake software, wife took laptop back, and asked why did you install fake software, and the answer she got was it is all fake here.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Two years ago i bought a new laptop from a large computer shop, with branches around Thailand.

After a few weeks i got shut down for using fake software, wife took laptop back, and asked why did you install fake software, and the answer she got was it is all fake here.

Same happened to me.  Compared prices with the same models available in Australia, paid the same price here in Chiang Mai, and ended up with a pirated Windows O.S.

A story like this looks good in the news, but nothing will ever happen.  

If you want to stop software piracy you need to take down the Internet . Good luck with that!   

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Similar happened to me. I chose a laptop but they had to bring the colour I wanted from another store. It arrived loaded with fake software I didn't want or need. I asked why and they told me that is what Thais want. I left without buying it. There is no need for fake software as there are free programmes that do almost everything. And I certainly wouldn't risk using fake software for something as vital as an operating system.