Prayut takes shot at Thai academics living abroad for criticising government

webfact

Prayut takes shot at Thai academics living abroad for criticising government
By The Nation

ac59cca42d1a638f68f09baa5342a6a4.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has lambasted Thai academics living overseas who criticise the government.

Delivering his keynote speech at the annual conference hosted by the National Economic and Social Development Board, Prayut said on Monday that while the government had done many things for the country, Thai academics still criticised the country from abroad.

He apparently referred to academics who live overseas in political asylum and organised public forums criticising the junta-backed government for eroding democracy and violating human rights.

He did not reveal their names but the government previously singled out specific prominent activists.

Prayut said his government had been trying to move Thailand forwards by supporting every sector of society, including small and medium-sized enterprises and the poor.

He also criticised non-government organisations and the local media, saying that they should not oppose every government measure. 

He dismissed the criticism that his government is helping the rich more than the poor.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30319744

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-03

If only the other countries would understand how good Thailand and it's government is, and imprison them on Thai defamation charges. 

Nasty foreigners, not understand good Thailand.

He also criticised non-government organisations and the local media, saying that they should not oppose every government measure. 

Academics living abroad, NGOs, the local media... Everyone's out to get us...

Sounds a bit like a persecution complex.

The point that Prayut is missing is that those living overseas CAN criticise him. Most of those living here are too scared of being thrown in prison or sent for attitude readjustment, to be able to speak their true minds. But let's face it, their criticism of eroding democracy and human rights are absolutely bang on the money. If he doesn't want to face such comments, he could always hold free elections and restore full freedom of speech!

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He dismissed the criticism that his government is helping the rich more than the poor.

He is right !  How soon they forget the bike lanes in Bangkok.  Poor people all over Thailand can sleep well knowing the average Bangkokian has bike lanes at their disposal.  A gift from the big, paranoid, attention seeking  man himself.  Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha is just awesome.  Just ask him.  He will tell you.  He might even do it in verse.   

I have heard of junta goons threatening those academics living abroad in their respective countries and intimidating their families here. Just hope he don't follow the NK way to silent those who criticize him. Power is very additive and when you surround yourself with yes men, you get carried away and make bad decision. 

The key words here are , have done many things for the country, mostly that's been done is window dressing and achieved nothing, the buying of tanks, submarines and fast trains wont help the country , the cleaning up of the taxi service, beaches , Ms Shin's  bank account, the closure of goldmines and mine exploration and so forth wont help the country and the versatile section 44, certainly a law to be abused, most certainly wont help the country...............................................:coffee1:

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The point that Prayut is missing is that those living overseas CAN criticise him. Most of those living here are too scared of being thrown in prison or sent for attitude readjustment, to be able to speak their true minds. But let's face it, their criticism of eroding democracy and human rights are absolutely bang on the money. If he doesn't want to face such comments, he could always hold free elections and restore full freedom of speech!

You are absolutely correct!  I have a retirement visa but after 3 years there I will NEVER return unless it's a stop at the airport on my way to somewhere else.

50 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I have heard of junta goons threatening those academics living abroad in their respective countries and intimidating their families here. Just hope he don't follow the NK way to silent those who criticize him. Power is very additive and when you surround yourself with yes men, you get carried away and make bad decision. 

Henry the Second King of England Once said " Who amongst you will free me of this troublesome priest"   4 knights did and went and murdered Thomas Beckitt archbishop of Canterbury

35 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

It would be great to see him go head-to-head in a televised debate with one these academics just to show once and for all to any doubters just a intellectually challenged the man is.

That's it. Would love to see a televised debate. If you believe your ideas are good and commendable, tell everyone and tell them why. If your ideas are terrible, people will hopefully see that. Show all your ideas and let people decide what's best.

Put your money where your mouth is or step aside. 

11 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Maybe that's what they're criticising; shouldn't it be the peoples government?

It's always referred to as the prime ministers government. I've certainly never heard the government in the UK referred to as the peoples government. It's always 'her government', 'his government', '(insert name of prime minister here)'s government'.

11 hours ago, Laab Muu said:

It's always referred to as the prime ministers government. I've certainly never heard the government in the UK referred to as the peoples government. It's always 'her government', 'his government', '(insert name of prime minister here)'s government'.

The current "government" in Thailand is not really a government.  It's just a one-man show with obedient rubber stamp committee.