Freshman Forced To Sing, Slap Self Until Bruised In Uni Hazing Ritual

snoop1130

Freshman Forced To Sing, Slap Self Until Bruised In Uni Hazing Ritual

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

20030751_1385087864878265_616192075_n-696x392.jpg

A photo sent in by the freshman’s sister to Anti Sotus Facebook page of her sibling’s bruised legs from hazing rituals. Photo: Anti Sotus / Facebook

NAKHON RATCHASIMA — A student at a Korat university was forced to slap her thighs and shins to singing and chanting all day, resulting in wounds that her sister reported to an anti-hazing Facebook page Wednesday and went viral Thursday.

After a student from Nakhon Ratchasima Rajabhat University came home with bruised legs from being forced to slap her thighs and shins all day as part of a hazing ritual, her older sister contacted anti-hazing activist Facebook page Anti Sotus with photos of her wounds Wednesday condemning the incident.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/net/2017/07/13/freshman-forced-sing-slap-self-bruised-uni-hazing-ritual/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-7-13

I have two daughters at Khon Kaen university.  They go back at the end of this month, one as a 3rd year, one as a 2nd year student.  Neither of them had anything like this, in fact they were welcomed by the older students and given  small gifts of sweets, biscuits etc. 

4 hours ago, lungbing said:

I have two daughters at Khon Kaen university.  They go back at the end of this month, one as a 3rd year, one as a 2nd year student.  Neither of them had anything like this, in fact they were welcomed by the older students and given  small gifts of sweets, biscuits etc. 

lucky

I graduated from a Thai university. I didn't take part in their nonsense and since I'm a foreigner and was quite a bit older than the usual student, they didn't expect me to take part anyway, but hazing is a complete norm. It is verbally discouraged and/or banned by the universities, but then when the time comes around for the activities, the university grants them usage of various spaces to carry out the exact activities that are supposedly banned. And professors come to watch ("supervise") all the while smiling and laughing. Most of it is not harmful like this, but much of what I saw in the 4 years I wasted at the university could very easily be psychologically damaging for many individuals and if nothing else, extremely degrading and demoralizing. Although some that I talked to about it actually thought it was fun! Some of it can be, but there are many things that are truly inhumane. Most of it is just stupid and childish. But, it is unbelievable the kind of crap they do, all under the direct supervision of professors! Of course there will always be those that go to the extreme and these kinds of incidents will inevitably come about. Just raise your kids to have some common sense in the first place and not take part in such stupidity. They may get ostracized, but who cares! The kind of idiots that ostracize them aren't people they should care to be friends with anyway.