Ducati 939 Hypermotard - Purchased

soihok

Well I have gone ahead and bought a new Ducati 939 Hypermotard.

Have been toying with the idea for a couple of months now. Just wanted a cool bike for short trips and popping down to the shops and back on.

Only thing is that I won't get to ride it until December when I make it back home.

CHEERS!

Got a bit of collection going on now.

Singapore = Yamaha MT-09.

Thailand = Yamaha R3

Thailand = 939 Hypermotard (next week).

Thats my brother in law collecting it from Ducati Korat next week....lol..

Expensive motorbike (not only in Thailand) .... ...................................................half a million baht..

Trip to the shops and back now and again considering the risk of total loss....half a million baht..

No wind protection, capability for distance, practicality, open to theft...............half a million baht..

Smile on my missus face when its registered in her name and collecting from Korat Ducati next week .......... priceless ..................................(even tho she can't ride it .... but as we all know... that ain't the point) :smile:

1 hour ago, CMKiwi said:

You want one of these just to pop down to the shops?

Bit of overkill methinks.

It was going to be this or an MT-10.

I thought that an MT-10 was a bit over the top for the shops and back......

Plus its a bit cheaper..

11 hours ago, soihok said:

Thats my brother in law collecting it from Ducati Korat next week....lol..

Expensive motorbike (not only in Thailand) .... ...................................................half a million baht..

Trip to the shops and back now and again considering the risk of total loss....half a million baht..

No wind protection, capability for distance, practicality, open to theft...............half a million baht..

Smile on my missus face when its registered in her name and collecting from Korat Ducati next week .......... priceless ..................................(even tho she can't ride it .... but as we all know... that ain't the point) :smile:

500,000,   l thought it would be more than,  good on ya, enjoy.  :thumbsup:

The Ducati has been in my bucket list for a while...... but I'll probably kick the bucket before I buy one.  In the past there has been quite a bit of bad press about reliablity of Ducatis in general.  The other part is finding a good dealer that knows about after sales service and stocks spare parts.

If you do a search re Ducati you can read some of these concerns.  Agreed that this is a very nice looking bike and boy thay sound good too.

2 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

The Ducati has been in my bucket list for a while...... but I'll probably kick the bucket before I buy one.  In the past there has been quite a bit of bad press about reliablity of Ducatis in general.  The other part is finding a good dealer that knows about after sales service and stocks spare parts.

If you do a search re Ducati you can read some of these concerns.  Agreed that this is a very nice looking bike and boy thay sound good too.

While your young enough get one man :biggrin: there's nothing but praise for Ducati 939 Hypermotard and some good read ups on these bikes and no reliability problems as far as l can find with either SP or standard.

Extract from one of many :-  Oil changes can be easily done at home.

Another very strong point of this new Testastretta motor is the 30,000 km (18,000 miles) service interval.

This is another trickle-down benefit of the relatively small exotic Italian bike manufacturer being owned by an automotive powerhouse.

The recent increase in quality and reliability that Audi and Volkswagen have implemented in their automotive engineering seems to be influencing Ducati’s bike development well.

If l was OP l would keep it.

Edited by Kwasaki

Cheers.

I would like to ship my MT-09 over when I eventually leave Singapore but I know its not going to happen, for the obvious reason.

That would give me an excuse to go for another bike back home.

I am not going to be able to ride the bike until December though, just too busy with work at the moment.

Really looking forward to it.

46 minutes ago, soihok said:

Cheers.

I would like to ship my MT-09 over when I eventually leave Singapore but I know its not going to happen, for the obvious reason.

That would give me an excuse to go for another bike back home.

I am not going to be able to ride the bike until December though, just too busy with work at the moment.

Really looking forward to it.

I can run it in for ya honest. :laugh:

10 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

I would say they are true a friend bought the same bike 2 years ago during the time he had it 9 months in the shop they could never figure out the problem he sold it after a year he says what was the point more time in the shop than on the road

To be fair, this is the 2nd generation and most issues have been dealt with. With a bit of luck you will be fine. There are also many people that have a lot of fun and no issues with their bikes. And they are much more exciting to ride than almost any other brand on the market. Very addictive. In your case I would be most worried about the bike not being ridden for a lengthy period of time because that is something they really don't like. And that will cause most issues. Best is to ride it at least half an hour every week. Let it go through a few proper heat cycles incl highway speeds, not only around the house.

Sounds a bit like an Alfa Romeo car I had back in the mid eighties. It loved the revs and open roads.  

Around town it was a dog. It would throw itself out of tune and burn a clutch slave cylinder each year.

Maintenance was a prick but boy the fun on the open road was always worth a smile.

4 hours ago, moe666 said:

I would say they are true a friend bought the same bike 2 years ago during the time he had it 9 months in the shop they could never figure out the problem he sold it after a year he says what was the point more time in the shop than on the road

I met a guy who said the same thing about his diavel carbon 

8 hours ago, Nickymaster said:

To be fair, this is the 2nd generation and most issues have been dealt with. With a bit of luck you will be fine. There are also many people that have a lot of fun and no issues with their bikes. And they are much more exciting to ride than almost any other brand on the market. Very addictive. In your case I would be most worried about the bike not being ridden for a lengthy period of time because that is something they really don't like. And that will cause most issues. Best is to ride it at least half an hour every week. Let it go through a few proper heat cycles incl highway speeds, not only around the house.

Totally agree with the issue of not being ridden regularly. Most machines (be it cars / bikes / plant equipment / etc. - need to be run up regularly to maintain reliability and remain issue free).

I have 4 x brothers in law back home, one of them is being tasked with running it up regularly. Thankfully he is quite bike competent and is out on my R3 a lot of the time - to the point it has more or less become his, :thumbsup:...... (the real reason for buying it in the first place).

That won't be happening to the 939 though .......  :ohmy::cool:

Lovely bike, congratulations.

Obviously on a TV Ducati thread you'll get the sandal wearing PCX riders whose "friend" had one that broke down every 100 metres, or their mate down at Friends Bar told them Uncle Billy Bob had one in 1993 that was always in the shop. Mine has been super reliable, looks, rides and sounds awesome. Can't think of a better bike for those 2 hour blasts out of Bangkok to the coast at the weekend to unwind.

Obviously a good dealer is important as any brand of bike can have issues. Vibhavadi are excellent, hopefully Korat are good as well. Enjoy! 20170311_091316.thumb.jpg.fe4139edf74601a9038b1766222b54f1.jpg

Thanks very much...I would have liked the SP version but its not available in Thailand.

Note that the Forks are non adjustable on the 939 base model. Not that I am going to be racing it but it would be nice to have some adjustment.

That made me laugh .........."Obviously on a TV Ducati thread you'll get the sandal wearing PCX riders whose "friend" had one that broke down every 100 metres, or their mate down at Friends Bar told them Uncle Billy Bob had one in 1993 that was always in the shop". :laugh:

Great photo of your 899, cool bike.

I too, hope that Duacti Korat can meet the mark. Time will tell I guess.

15 hours ago, moe666 said:

Well Audi took over Ducati early 2012 and have been making big product improvements.

9 months !!  Your mate wasn't doing much by the sound of things,  he should of put a complaint in.

Being in Thailand it doesn't surprise me of workshops getting complacent also being incompetent.

I had issues with Kwasaki and got on to their Bkk head office and they helped me find a workshop of their's,  where a chief engineer took care of things. 

I am a PCX rider, but not wearing sandals, ha-ha.

My bike buddy have a Ducati Hyperstrada 821 and he never had any issues with it, he hardly ever washes it but keep the service intervals strictly.

PS I don't ride my PCX when riding with him but my V650. His bike basically got a gear "more" than mine, so if I go flat out at +190, he can pass me in 5th and change up to 6th (bastard). We normally don't go that fast, 120-140 on a trip from Pattaya to Koh Chang and back.

31 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I am a PCX rider, but not wearing sandals, ha-ha.

My bike buddy have a Ducati Hyperstrada 821 and he never had any issues with it, he hardly ever washes it but keep the service intervals strictly.

PS I don't ride my PCX when riding with him but my V650. His bike basically got a gear "more" than mine, so if I go flat out at +190, he can pass me in 5th and change up to 6th (bastard). We normally don't go that fast, 120-140 on a trip from Pattaya to Koh Chang and back.

How about getting a Z800.  :biggrin: