Pattaya tunnel officially opens to the public

Rimmer

Pattaya tunnel officially opens to the public

26-8-17n-Tunnel-1.jpg

PATTAYA:--Friday, August 25 was a day many motorists had been waiting for as the long haul Pattaya Klang tunnel finally opened up for public use.

The grand opening ceremony to mark the occasion drew several senior public dignitaries including Akom Thermpitttayapaisit from the Ministry of Transportation, Pakaratorn Tienchai, the governor of Chonburi, and Pol. Maj. Gen. Anan Charoenchasri, the mayor of Pattaya.

Locals commuters will be more than aware that traffic snarl-ups have become a major issue in Pattaya in recent times and the underground tunnel is seen as a remedy to the many logjams created by vehicles pouring in and out the Pattaya Klang/Sukumvit Road intersection.

The 1,900-meter long tunnel has four lanes with each being 3.5 meters wide.  There is a traffic island separating the lanes, with interior decorations and an ornamental dolphin installed as another landmark for the city.  The security and safety system is fully packed, with air vents along the tunnel walls and cameras installed in case of any accidents.

Read more:http://www.pattayamail.com/featured/pattaya-tunnel-officially-opens-public-184504

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-08-26

1 hour ago, jvs said:

Looks kinda short for 1900 meters.

During the opening ceremony, they used a registered yellow-blue Pattaya-Mafia-Taxi to measure the length and somehow (surprise surprise), the Taxi-meter showed 1900 meters, not the correct 420 meters   :tongue:

Yet again 2nd time today we have thailand trying to improve matters yet we have the usual suspects pouring scorn on it. I have no idea why they continue to frequent the country that they clearly despise.

5 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Yet again 2nd time today we have thailand trying to improve matters yet we have the usual suspects pouring scorn on it. I have no idea why they continue to frequent the country that they clearly despise.

The tunnel is is a white elephant, but I take your point.

Can't wait to see the confusion.  Thais seem to have trouble planning their approach to a junction and often get in the wrong lane. Then cause tailbacks as they attempt to change lane at the last minute from a line of stationary traffic.

Imagine the fun when they all get in the right hand lane ready to turn right but then discover that to go right you have to keep in the left hand lane.. Talk about mental torture...

1 hour ago, Pdaz said:

Can't wait to see the confusion.  Thais seem to have trouble planning their approach to a junction and often get in the wrong lane. Then cause tailbacks as they attempt to change lane at the last minute from a line of stationary traffic.

Imagine the fun when they all get in the right hand lane ready to turn right but then discover that to go right you have to keep in the left hand lane.. Talk about mental torture...

Ah. So this will be like the Tea cup handle turns all over New Jersey.  For so many of the roads you have to get in the far lane and make a little loop to make the turn.  This will be fun.

3 hours ago, siam2007 said:

During the opening ceremony, they used a registered yellow-blue Pattaya-Mafia-Taxi to measure the length and somehow (surprise surprise), the Taxi-meter showed 1900 meters, not the correct 420 meters   :tongue:

haha.  Maybe the Metered Taxis stretch things a bit?  The calibration is a bit off? 

2 hours ago, Pdaz said:

I have to disagree with the consensus opinion on this new road layout.

On the busiest days in Pattaya I would guess that 50% or more of the traffic on HW3 is incoming/outgoing Bangkokians. They are very well versed in this type of tunnel/flyover set-up and will have no problems.

From what I have seen, the new signposting is very good, so most drivers will be able to choose the correct lane without a problem (of course, there will always be the odd Benz driver who thinks the rules don't apply to him/her).

I believe that the tunnel/overpass will be a great success. Unfortunately, there will be another period of chaos very soon when work on the new road layout for the Pattaya Tai/HW3 junction is commenced - but it will be worth it in the end.

Also, people need to consider the larger picture. There are new new motorway routes under construction which bypass Pattaya and give access to Ban Amphur, Sattahip, U-Tapao, and Ban Chang, etc. which will take much of the traffic away from HW3.

Now, if only someone would come up with a solution to keep all (or at least most) large tourist buses out of the city centre ...

Edited by chickenslegs

5 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Also, people need to consider the larger picture. There are new new motorway routes under construction which bypass Pattaya and give access to Ban Amphur, Sattahip, U-Tapao, and Ban Chang, etc. which will take much of the traffic away from HW3.

Now, if only someone would come up with a solution to keep all (or at least most) large tourist buses out of the city centre ...

Maptaphut Highways. These are the most exiting projects for this region as they provide complete bypass of Sin City to the point where you will mostly avoid the depressing sights, traffic going nowhere and nauseating stink.

Just now, maxpower said:

Maptaphut Highways. These are the most exiting projects for this region as they provide complete bypass of Sin City to the point where you will mostly avoid the depressing sights, traffic going nowhere and nauseating stink.

That is one point of view.

Another is that visitors to the area will have a few different routes to choose from.

I'm guessing here, but on most weekends the overwhelming number of visitors to Pattaya, Ban Amphur, Bang Saray, Sattahip, and Rayong seem to be Thais who are just interested in getting out of the big city - and are not interested in the seedier side of things.

Shopping, restaurants, cinema, beaches (not swimming) are their thing.

Just my own observations.

14 hours ago, maxpower said:

I agree with you, I don't think it will be too long until it's open, and that may, just may, mean that they won't bother with the other two planned tunnels as the traffic flow through town could be greatly reduced.