Thailand or Philippines? Who has been to both?

Elkski

6 hours ago, Gruff said:

2 ex wives, both intelligent, 2nd one Mensa IQ,  both working, so in your understanding i guess that means productive. I am sure it can lead to a good relationship but it certainly does not assure it. And boy when the relationships failed they just kept taking and taking and taking !  I don't think it need to be a sad relationship without productivity and intelligence.

Never said anything was a sure thing, just stated my preference. If it didn't work for you, then it may be your other selection criteria for females lacked something somewhere. Seems similar to the old woman I saw in AoNang some time ago. She claimed she was finished with men, after five husbands and countless one-night stands, they all of them treated her wrong. Gee, I asked, did you ever consider you may be doing something wrong. "See," she said, "all men are a$$h0les."

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

If it didn't work for you, then it may be your other selection criteria for females lacked something somewhere. Seems similar to the old woman I saw in AoNang some time ago. She claimed she was finished with men, after five husbands and countless one-night stands, they all of them treated her wrong. Gee, I asked, did you ever consider you may be doing something wrong. "See," she said, "all men are a$$h0les."

And if it did work for you maybe you just got lucky! Amazing how people who say they have successful relationships put it all down to their selection skills.

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

Well, I have to agree about poor standards and consistency, but if there are no Filipinos around that London restaurant, I guess Filipino cooking may might survive in London. You see very few if any Brit restaurants survive where there is no Brit community either. The unfortunate fact with US food is that all most foreigners see are the US franchised fast foods--lousy food at exorbitant prices.

Vietnamese restaurants are thin on the ground as well in London. Maybe not just about the food but perhaps Filipinos come to London to work in the caring industry (not to open restaurants) and maybe Vietnamese come to open Nail shops.

9 hours ago, Gruff said:

Vietnamese restaurants are thin on the ground as well in London. Maybe not just about the food but perhaps Filipinos come to London to work in the caring industry (not to open restaurants) and maybe Vietnamese come to open Nail shops.

gee, if both Filipinos and Vietnamese came to London, then there was a Filipino and Vietnamese community, wasn't there?

10 hours ago, Gruff said:

And if it did work for you maybe you just got lucky! Amazing how people who say they have successful relationships put it all down to their selection skills.

No, what is amazing is that people who have had lousy relationships think those of us with good relationships were lucky.

im sure there is some element of luck involved. But it seems to me the most important thing is not being in a rush.. How long does it take to know varies for each of us but I think you need to know a person extensively for over a year .

Back to this thread.  Wow at first I felt a tug of war game.. go to Philippines, no don't go its a war zone.. Actually it sounds like both PH and Thailand are war zones.   

I wish we all could go back and add if we are P4P types or those who search for the more homebody, educated, hard working, good mother types.  I do think the gap between bar girls and normal SE Asian women is closing with all the  social media allowing so much cross communication and even exclusive women's areas on the internet where gals talk about farang men and the secrets to out rank accounts, green cards, probably know my SS rules better than many bureaucrats and me,  and  how to capture our hearts, sexual tricks they can read in the monthly spicy magazine or on the web, sites to talk about each of our dating histories and our infidelities by name.

IT's a mindfield and ya put ya coin in and ya  takes ya chances. 

Edited by Elkski

2 hours ago, Elkski said:

im sure there is some element of luck involved. But it seems to me the most important thing is not being in a rush.. How long does it take to know varies for each of us but I think you need to know a person extensively for over a year .

Back to this thread.  Wow at first I felt a tug of war game.. go to Philippines, no don't go its a war zone.. Actually it sounds like both PH and Thailand are war zones.   

I wish we all could go back and add if we are P4P types or those who search for the more homebody, educated, hard working, good mother types.  I do think the gap between bar girls and normal SE Asian women is closing with all the  social media allowing so much cross communication and even exclusive women's areas on the internet where gals talk about farang men and the secrets to out rank accounts, green cards, probably know my SS rules better than many bureaucrats and me,  and  how to capture our hearts, sexual tricks they can read in the monthly spicy magazine or on the web, sites to talk about each of our dating histories and our infidelities by name.

IT's a mindfield and ya put ya coin in and ya  takes ya chances. 

There were some really wise words on here about Filipina and insane jealousy and is very relevant in considering any (even semi long term)  relationship. I have searched quite hard Online for a possible  long term  Filipina partner but  i think very difficult to find a real genuine person.

I apologise for going on about the food, to me it becomes a significant factor staying anywhere for a long time, but i read the OP again and see you did not mention it.

Finally i could not agree more there is a very thin line between BarGirl and Online and other Filipina you may meet elsewhere.

Edited by Gruff

On 11/7/2017 at 12:59 AM, Gruff said:

Plenty of time left for it to go wrong, no relationship is concluded and deemed 'successful' until one of you is dead.

22 hours ago, Mansinthe said:

Wouldnt Malaysia (penang area) or Vietnam be a good alternative to Thailand?

I liked vietnam alot (hanoi & hcmc). Food / beer are for me equally good as Thailand and affordable. 

Nice beach and friendly people. 

I lived and worked in Hanoi 20 years ago. All I wanted was to get back to Thailand. IMO, the people are too aggressive. I could not sit down outside without getting approached by someone wanting money - one after another. I also found the language considerably more difficult than Thai and the Vietnamese weren't so easy going about bad pronunciation.

There was a good side. Back then, the foreign food was much better than Thailand and draft beer was cheaper than bottled water.

It was a big hassle to find anywhere to have sex. You often had to rent two rooms in the same hotel to do so and it was against the law to bring them places you were renting. The people who owned the property were afraid of getting caught. Of course, a lot of that has probably changed.

On 03/11/2017 at 11:13 AM, BernieOnTour said:

I would subscribe to most of what you wrote, but that one -sorry- is a only a public myth.

Their whole value system, their believes and their behavior is decidedly Asian. And that in a very specific Filipino way.

The "westerness" is only a thin veil, covering their deep Asian-Filipino "culture". (Real Culture is btw. something they -different to Thailand- are totally missing. Their history is just a bunch of independent, unrelated clans/tribes fighting each other, sometimes headhunting until 1920.)

"and English is their second (or sometimes first) language."

IMHO that advantage, if it ever existed, is deminishing. For 99% of the Filipinos, English is not their first language. Their local dialect is their first language. When they start to attend school, they learn the official Filipino (which in essence is the Tagalog dialect). In parallel, they start to learn English. Unless they pay for a private school, the governmental education is lacking. As a result, outside of big cities, you will meet a lot of Filipinos, who cannot really communicate in English... just check some of the dating websites, and you will notice, how good their English "abilities" are.

In Thailand, especially in the bigger cities, things have changed a lot. Especially the better educated, younger generation is able to communicate quite well in English... of cause, if one is concentrating on those Isaan rice farmer daughters (with the average Isaan IQ of 86) in the redlight districts - well, that's another question.

In my GFs case, English is her 3rd Language... 1st is Bisaya (local dialect of the Visaya Islands), then Tagalog (quite different in a lot of ways) & then English and it's notable how much her English diminishes after spending a month or 2 back home visiting her family (Mother & Father speak next to no English but in general she'll spend the whole time conversing in Bisaya as you would expect).

If I here "ano" (what's that) while she tries to remember the English word 1 more time I'll scream!!! 

On 03/11/2017 at 11:19 AM, steven100 said:

The Philippines is crap ....   you can have it all. :shock1:

Apologies if this isn't the case, but if you're saying that on the basis of having once visited Angeles City then I'd say you've only technically visited the Philippines (have the stamp in your passport), but you've never actually visited the Philippines - Go to Coron in Palawan & see what the Philippines is really like.   [NB Don't want to start a Philippines is better than Thailand debate, as I've repeated said if I had to choose 1, it would be Thailand every time]. 

On 09/11/2017 at 10:28 AM, doggie1955 said:

If I had to pick one place in the P.I. it would be Cebu...But I think you should look at Vietnam or Cambodia first.

I love Cebu (but not Cebu City so it would be somewhere on the coast between CarCar & Oslob or on the other side of the Island around Moalbol) but I prefer Davao (somewhat biased as my GF of almost 8 years is from there but in general it's much more laid back & "Normal" than Cebu though that is changing rapidly as more "Poreigners" start to visit)

Just got back from a trip to Hanoi, wow the place blew my mind... what a lovely city & people, it would be very easy to see myself living there plus it's very cheap to do so... Only challenge is I don't know if the Visa situation is as easy as Thailand, Cambodia or the Philippines.

On 03/11/2017 at 3:05 AM, cnx101 said:

Go to Vietnam better than both

why ?

please explain 

im very interested in vietnam, the junk boat tour off halong bay is on the bucket list.

by the way i find 80 % of phils woman are ....lets say not very attractive, yet to see a stunner  but here in thailand i see stunners all the time

Edited by pumpjack

On 11/5/2017 at 11:51 AM, Gruff said:

I couldn't agree with you more about the hardluck stories, i have done a lot of Online dating in Phils and i am not looking for much of an age gap either. However you can guarantee that (even if it takes a month or more of communcation) they will start to talk of hardluck stories and how short of money they are. I am not talking 60%, 70% of them i reckon more like 95%. Eventually they just can't help but effectively start to beg !  I suppose in someways it is understandable as so many Filipina do work abroad, see what money Westerner or Arabian can earn and they do send it back home for their families and are not necessarily selfish. They may not be being hyprocritcal in expecting a western guy to provide but their constant hardluck stories and (frankly greed) are relationship damaging. In comparing Phils to Thailand i think Filipino food is under-ated and Filipina are over-rated

Do you feel more compassion for "hard luck" stories from your fellow western men who have been conned by their (often much younger) Thai ladies?

I mean....why even complain about this? These people didn't win the lottery of being born in a nanny state. It's expected. Foreign men who come here do have many choices.

I swear if I ever hear one more "hard luck" story from a 67 year old British guy I'm gonna vomit.

1 hour ago, pumpjack said:

why ?

please explain 

im very interested in vietnam, the junk boat tour off halong bay is on the bucket list.

by the way i find 80 % of phils woman are ....lets say not very attractive, yet to see a stunner  but here in thailand i see stunners all the time

Halong Bay is hugely overrated IMO. If you really want to go and are taking the tour from Hanoi make it an overnight on the boat as it's a long journey from Hanoi by road, especially with the ubiquitous shopping stops.

I would suggest Danang and particularly Hoi An should be on your bucket list instead, or at least as well as.

Sorry, off topic again!

1 hour ago, pumpjack said:

I find 97.3% of British women 'not very attractive', PI wins.

58 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Do you feel more compassion for "hard luck" stories from your fellow western men who have been conned by their (often much younger) Thai ladies?

I mean....why even complain about this? These people didn't win the lottery of being born in a nanny state. It's expected. Foreign men who come here do have many choices.

I swear if I ever hear one more "hard luck" story from a 67 year old British guy I'm gonna vomit.

Apart from the 2 words 'hard luck i don't see any relevance to my Post in your reply !

PI is not safe for  a foreigner to walk alone on the streets.  You can try it but you will not feel safe.  I am sure some of the PI expats will disagree with me but I choose Thailand because of safety .  Also Vietnam and Cambodia would be higher up on the list than PI .

3 hours ago, balo said:

PI is not safe for  a foreigner to walk alone on the streets.  You can try it but you will not feel safe.  I am sure some of the PI expats will disagree with me but I choose Thailand because of safety .  Also Vietnam and Cambodia would be higher up on the list than PI .

i am one that strongly disagrees with that

3 hours ago, balo said:

I choose Thailand because of safety .

False impression of safety ....... I've never heard of Filipinos gang kicking tourists, seen plenty of stories of it in Thailand.

I've also had plenty of beggars come into Thai bars with their hands out, armed security don't allow that in PI.

Most of the dangers I've encountered in either country are thuggish foreigners looking for a fight.

The locals have always been friendly (and in PI polite).

6 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

False impression of safety ....... I've never heard of Filipinos gang kicking tourists, seen plenty of stories of it in Thailand.

I've also had plenty of beggars come into Thai bars with their hands out, armed security don't allow that in PI.

Most of the dangers I've encountered in either country are thuggish foreigners looking for a fight.

The locals have always been friendly (and in PI polite).

Couldn't agree more and have seen plenty of thuggish foreigners in the tourist areas of Chiang Mai. I have never seeen similar in the many places i have visited in the Phils.