Thaivisa exclusive: Number One Thai Scrabble player banned for alleged cheating and fraud

webfact

3 hours ago, SpicyMeatball said:

Not surprised. When does a Thai not cheat? Ask any foreign ESL teacher about Thai student cheats. 

Sadly, true for more than a few, but thankfully not all. For those who do cheat, it seems that can't help themselves. Catch a cheat once, and chances are they will do it again.

Me no unnerstan.

Thais cheat, they're generally dishonest. The reasons are clear and haven't changed.

Why would anyone be surprised when it is proved again. And again. And again. And again.

PC is all very well, but anyone who doesn't live in a cave or a tree or a hole in the ground, must be aware of this. No?

6 hours ago, trigpoint said:

A Thai cheating, who would have thought it, plagiarism is also is rife in their education system as well.

Plagiarism? I think not, respecting and paying homage to the better educated, I think so.....Well in some minds at least...?

3 hours ago, Reigntax said:

He came up with antidisestablishmentarianism using only 8 letters!

Heres a doosy, could you break that down into individual words and then if placed properly use 8 or less letters to join them up? (Even tho that word wouldnt fit across a board)

6 hours ago, Sid Celery said:

PC is all very well, but anyone who doesn't live in a cave or a tree or a hole in the ground, must be aware of this. No?

Just to take the PC thing one step further - it's in the blood: trust a snake before a Jew and a Jew before a Greek, but don't trust a Thai. Oops ... ! Five Hail Marys for me, and three Pater Nosters.

44 minutes ago, nausea said:

Just to take the PC thing one step further - it's in the blood: trust a snake before a Jew and a Jew before a Greek, but don't trust a Thai. Oops ... ! Five Hail Marys for me, and three Pater Nosters.

Maybe a couple of 'Our Father's' would help as well. It is indeed in the blood though, but people from civilised countries learn how to mitigate unconscious responses. Thais never do, it's partly about intelligence (watch their eyes while they're talking), and its a lot about education, which we know is very very poor.

5 hours ago, balo said:

A Thai who is cheating ? Surely that can't be ? This is the land of smiles and everyone is nice here. 

Many of the 'stars in their eyes' tourists and new Thailand residents believe so, or so it seems. I was that once, it took me a year and a bit to start noticing the clay feet.

I wonder why Scrabble, as a tournament game, has been so popular in Thailand since many years ago. Anyone knows the reason behind it ? I remember that, even back in the early 1990's, when I was new in Thailand, there were scrabble competitions in Bangkok.

On 11/30/2017 at 6:42 AM, SpicyMeatball said:

Not surprised. When does a Thai not cheat? Ask any foreign ESL teacher about Thai student cheats. 

Indeed. I know the secretary of a school in Australia, and she told me Thai students there were lazy and tried to buy higher grades.

On 12/1/2017 at 4:34 AM, JemJem said:

I wonder why Scrabble, as a tournament game, has been so popular in Thailand since many years ago. Anyone knows the reason behind it ? I remember that, even back in the early 1990's, when I was new in Thailand, there were scrabble competitions in Bangkok.

The Scrabble scene took off in Thailand in 1986 after a man called Amnuay Ploysaenngam got together with friends at ABAC to promote the game that he liked to play. He started a company that sold the game and other games and promoted Scrabble at tournaments around the country, in the University games and at schools. He died earlier this year but is considered the greatest promoter of Scrabble - called Crossword Game here - that there has ever been. The Club that he started continues to continue his legacy. Two Thais have become world champions, the first non-native speakers to do so. Thailand is respected worldwide for how it has promoted the game with youth. The cheating scandal is not good but many abroad say that it is good that the Thais are putting their house in order. I do not believe that cheating is widespread in Scrabble here - and I have been playing professionally in all tournaments since 1992.

56 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

The Scrabble scene took off in Thailand in 1986 after a man called Amnuay Ploysaenngam got together with friends at ABAC to promote the game that he liked to play. He started a company that sold the game and other games and promoted Scrabble at tournaments around the country, in the University games and at schools. He died earlier this year but is considered the greatest promoter of Scrabble - called Crossword Game here - that there has ever been. The Club that he started continues to continue his legacy. Two Thais have become world champions, the first non-native speakers to do so. Thailand is respected worldwide for how it has promoted the game with youth. The cheating scandal is not good but many abroad say that it is good that the Thais are putting their house in order. I do not believe that cheating is widespread in Scrabble here - and I have been playing professionally in all tournaments since 1992.

Do you know how the OP cheated? Did he receive outside help via an electronic device?