Teacher prevails in Bt30m lottery dispute, ex-cop to be charged

webfact

Teacher prevails in Bt30m lottery dispute, ex-cop to be charged

By The Nation

b8f47032a16720c04c6cf84c08d9a40d.jpeg

Charoon

Police on Wednesday concluded that the real winner of a Bt30-million lottery prize is a teacher in Kanchanaburi province and will charge a retired police officer with embezzlement and accepting stolen items.

Pol Lt-General Kittipong Ngaomuk, commander of the 7th Region, said he based the conclusion on interviews with a lottery vendor who insisted that she had sold the winning tickets to teacher Preecha Kraikruan.

Moreover, security camera footage from a camera about 20 metres from the vendor’s stall showed retired police lieutenant Charoon Wimul picked up the lottery tickets from the road.

Charoon also failed to present the vendor from whom he claimed to have bought the tickets, Kittipong said.

Kittipong’s statement at a packed press conference on Wednesday ended the much-publicised dispute between Charoon and Preecha related to the ownership of the tickets from the November 1 draw that won Bt30 million.

Preecha said he had lost the tickets after purchasing them and filed a complaint with police, while Charoon had claimed he bought the tickets from a vendor at a market and had already collected the prize money.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30337614

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-31

1 hour ago, webfact said:

and will charge a retired police officer with embezzlement and accepting stolen items.

thai cops do not change their spots; they are who we all know they are;

steer as far clear from them as possible; they are a scourge on this country

Have to question why all the weeks of drama about DNA and fingerprints, when the evidence was there the whole time on CCTV. Happy that the teacher finally has the verdict. Seriously hope that the cop gets jail time for this. You just knew when he offered 50% of it, that he was in the wrong. No one who had won honestly would offer that to a false claimant.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Have to question why all the weeks of drama about DNA and fingerprints, when the evidence was there the whole time on CCTV. Happy that the teacher finally has the verdict. Seriously hope that the cop gets jail time for this. You just knew when he offered 50% of it, that he was in the wrong. No one who had won honestly would offer that to a false claimant.

I think we are happy of the verdict, however getting the funds which have probably been transferred is going to be another matter, although I do hope he gets his money.

Can't say the "teacher" didn't teach the cop a thing or two.

16 hours ago, YetAnother said:

Not all are, surely?

And how many are pushed into the system?

When this story broke (6 December) I posted in the thread https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1014620-teacher-vs-ex-cop-dispute-over-who-owns-the-30-million-baht-lottery-ticket :

"A few months ago I came across a new lottery ticket on the ground about five metres from a lottery vendor. I picked it up wondering whether to keep it and decided to hand it in to the vendor instead. She was grateful and having looked at the number said it had been purchased as part of a bunch by one of her regular customers. She promised to give it back to him. Clearly the guy had dropped it by mistake.

Same could have happened in this case, only an ex-cop picked it up ... and see what happened."

Good outcome and an interesting case. 'Finders, keepers' clearly doesn't apply and nor should it.

17 hours ago, robblok said:

I always said the cop was in its right.. seems the techer was right.. But before there was never mention of this CCTV footage.

Now it seems the cop was in the wrong. 

Me too. I was hoping there was one story not involving a corrupt cop, I guess.

nother LYING, CORRUPT Police Officer, same mould as the one who attempted extortion of a Foreign teacher. 

OH Mr PM when will you reform the valued but corrupt Police in this country...please ...........Oh I fogot you will not , one wonders WHY ??

Edited by Khun Paul
spelling

Whilst I would dispute that finding something on the ground is “ accepting stolen items”, I do believe the ex cop should be smashed with other charges including defamation and tarnishing Thailand’s reputation.

as an aside... to polish Thailand’s reputation seems worthy of reward (quid pro quo).... maybe some on the spot grants to beach cleaners etc.

1 hour ago, Jack Mountain said:

So when i honestly find a lottery ticket i cannot use it? What am I supposed to do with it then?

I tend to agree with this comment also.  If the teacher is so useless that he can't even hold on to a lottery ticket then he doesn't deserve the prize.

It's different if it's stolen,  but this was actually on the ground.  He should have just said nothing, waited 4 months and then claim it.

So if you find a 20 baht note on the ground you cannot keep it ....  :shock1:

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I tend to agree with this comment also.  If the teacher is so useless that he can't even hold on to a lottery ticket then he doesn't deserve the prize.

It's different if it's stolen,  but this was actually on the ground.  He should have just said nothing, waited 4 months and then claim it.

So if you find a 20 baht note on the ground you cannot keep it ....  :shock1:

The same could be said of finding a Phone, a Laptop, a bag of cash on the road...  people leave valuables in Taxi's....  When an item belongs to someone else simply finding something does not give us the right of ownership.

17 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I think we are happy of the verdict, however getting the funds which have probably been transferred is going to be another matter, although I do hope he gets his money.

Can't say the "teacher" didn't teach the cop a thing or two.

Next Headlines:  Lottery winning teacher found in apparent an suicide, left a note declaring he stress of being a 30 million baht lottery winner was too much for him to cope with.

On 1/31/2018 at 8:40 PM, YetAnother said:

Generally I would agree with you but it was the cops who solved this case in favor of the teacher and not the copper. So I congratulate the police who investigated this case which would have been difficult.