New crackdown sees darts BANNED in Pattaya

webfact

2 minutes ago, manarak said:

how can they enforce a regulation that yet doesn't exist ???

Obviously by a visit to a reliable fortune teller, informing them when the regulation will come into effect.

If bar owners visit the same fortune teller, they'll probably be able to discover what the cost of the licence will be.

It all seems pretty straightforward to me.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You all seem to forget one thing, archery was banned by Oliver Cromwell and darts took the place of that sport/ weapons of mass destruction.  What do Thais have to replace it with, nothing, so the only way they can financially gain from it is to introduce a non-existent license for which nobody knows the cost?  Maybe those responsible for making the decision to send the police out on such a foul raid should join the ranks of those having their penises whitened especially after the European doctors warned against it.  Incidentally, are female students still whitening the outside of their sex organs, a fad started a couple of tears ago?   Never heard a hullabaloo about that.

Look at the uniforms in the raid, DOPA, Department of Provincial Administration. This looks like a policy or crackdown or revenue-raising ploy dreamed up by the local administration. The police are only there as enforcers.

16 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Look at the uniforms in the raid, DOPA, Department of Provincial Administration. This looks like a policy or crackdown or revenue-raising ploy dreamed up by the local administration. The police are only there as enforcers.

DOPA - isn't that the Darts Of Pattaya Authority?

44 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I bet you 50 Baht it isn't.

This all came about after a game where one of the players needed 3 double 20's to finish.

He scored the first two but his third dart bounced of the wire and struck a female spectator, who was in fancy dress as a religious person, between the eyes. She collapsed on the floor and the commentator shouted One nun dead and eighty.

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

This all came about after a game where one of the players needed 3 double 20's to finish.

He scored the first two but his third dart bounced of the wire and struck a female spectator, who was in fancy dress as a religious person, between the eyes. She collapsed on the floor and the commentator shouted One nun dead and eighty.

The version I heard, they were playing it in the Caribbean - the punchline was: One nun dead in Haiti...

Obviously a nutty attempt to extort money.  But assuming for the moment, just for discussion, that they are trying to make some connection to playing the games and gambling,  I point out that money can be wagered or bet on just about anything.. Bridge, Gin rummy, Chess, Checkers, Darts, Pool, who can eat the most fried crickets, or whatever silly prop bets one comes up with.  I enjoy playing cribbage with friends.  But it seems any deck of playing cards is an issue in Thailand

4 hours ago, manarak said:

how can they enforce a regulation that doesn't exist yet ???

Who said it doesn't exist ?

On another Pattaya forum they said it's an 1935 anti-gambling law who was no more enforced for decades, and it's not only for darts; pool tables & snookers are also concerned by this law.

3 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Who said it doesn't exist ?

On another Pattaya forum they said it's an 1935 anti-gambling law who was no more enforced for decades, and it's not only for darts; pool tables & snookers are also concerned by this law.

1935 law:  http://www.krisdika.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/20f4f0804e2b8820999ffb798fdc4669/Gambling+Act,+B.E.2478+(1935).pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=20f4f0804e2b8820999ffb798fdc4669

It reads as though the games are prohibited, not just gambling on them.

11 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

We just have to accept Thailand don't want us farangs to stay in Thailand anymore 

Do police come and nok on my door now because I have dart board at home 

Thailand is becoming a country I don't like anymore meaby it is better to find a new home in another country 

After 15 years here thank you 

#Metoo

3 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Interesting how the Lottery is top of the list and yet twice a month we have one........hypocritical or what.....

Also i didnt see Darts specifically listed although Pool was......

Section 5. Any person who organises a game in which it is normal to gamble money or other possessions, shall be presumed to have organised it for his own benefit. And any person who plays the game shall also be presumed to have gambled money or other possessions.

Mah-jong, Domino, Card Games, backgammon.   

This the type of catch all out there.  Who says it is normal to gamble money or other posessions.  And then if you played the game you are presumed to have gambled money or possessions.  Goodness gracious, their legal beagles certainly try start one off as guilty until presumed innocent, assuming one even gets to a trial and can present evidence or a defense

Archived